Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Trithne

Erudite
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/fi...gets-frustrated-when-he-misses-a-shot-in-xcom

I really hope that the above article is full of crap.
Otherwise it looks like that the Midnight Suns game may well be testing ground of future XCOM.

You know Jake, the original X-Com had a solution to this: Your gameplan would rarely hinge on a single die roll, since you could bring a decent number of soldiers into the field and had the option to have them shoot more than once a turn. Mitigating factors against rng, which you don't seem to comprehend, instead preferring to just remove the rng entirely.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cut/paste to save the click and ad revenue:

Anyone who's played one of Firaxis' XCOM games in the last ten years will have a story about missed shots. Shots that, even with a 90% chance of hitting their target, still end up going wide and punching a hole in your carefully laid plans. In the moment, they induce feelings of white hot injustice, but for many, they're an integral part of what makes XCOM, well, XCOM. Looking back on his time making XCOM 2, however, Firaxis' creative director Jake Solomon tells me that he, too, now feels the pain players have felt for close to a decade.

"It was really interesting for me to return back and play XCOM a couple of years ago, and man, when I missed shots, I was unbelievably frustrated. I felt the ghosts of everybody everywhere looking over my shoulder," he says.

I was speaking to Solomon as part of my Marvel's Midnight Suns preview, Firaxis' next turn-based tactics game that's releasing on October 7th. Solomon is heading up that project as well, but the key difference between XCOM and Marvel's Midnight Suns is that the latter won't have any kind of hit percentages. Instead, all attacks are guaranteed, and after playing the game for four hours during my preview session, I'm happy to report that this style of combat not only gives you greater command of the battlefield, but it also lets you pull off some properly rad combo attacks with your trio of superheroes.

This isn't a reaction to XCOM, mind. You're playing as a group of superheroes after all, and superheroes don't miss. But having now made both XCOM and what Solomon refers to as an "opposite XCOM" with Marvel's Midnight Suns, he offered some surprisingly candid insights into the merits and flaws of both types of game when I asked him which one was more fun to make.

"I did play [XCOM] a couple of years ago, and this was after we implemented the new mechanics for Midnight Suns, and it was really tough for me to get my head around the fact that in XCOM, you can actually do things wrong. And you really can’t do things wrong in Midnight Suns. You can do them better, but an attack card is an attack card. [...] It’s not like straight out wrong. And I think XCOM has, maybe it has higher highs, but it definitely has lower lows in the sense of, 'Oh you did that wrong, and by the way, the way to do it right is you need to learn a mechanic that’s not on the surface.'

"So, it’s not that it’s better or anything, but it was really interesting for me to return back and play XCOM a couple of years ago, and man, when I missed shots, I was unbelievably frustrated. I felt the ghosts of everybody everywhere looking over my shoulder, but I was unbelievably frustrated, and it did make me appreciate the fact that in Midnight Suns it’s still very deep and very tactical, but there is a [sense of] like, 'Okay, I can jump into this.'"

Somehow, I feel better knowing that even XCOM 2's director shares in the same pain we do when playing their game. Next time I miss a 95% hit shot, I'll just think back to this chat and go, "Yeah, me too, Jake, me too."

You can read more of what Solomon has to say about Midnight Suns in my extensive hands on preview with the game, including how its card-based battle system works, and how Firaxis are incorporating extensive RPG elements into the game's overarching strategy layer between missions. It's a thrilling mix, and Marvel's Midnight Suns continues to be one of my most anticipated games of 2022. I can't wait to play it in full when it launches on October 7th.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Damn, that reveal image. How do you take a 10/10 character design like Ghost Rider and turn him into that piece of shit?
Ghost Rider's the only American comic book character I've ever been interested in but I never read his comics. I read once that all the Marvel characters are always intersecting with each other and getting wrapped up in big, shitty sci-fi story arcs, which makes me never want to read any capeshit. The idea that Ghost Rider is taking place in the same world as the fucking Fantastic Four is enough to repel me.

J1M

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/fi...gets-frustrated-when-he-misses-a-shot-in-xcom

Otherwise it looks like that the Midnight Suns game may well be testing ground of future XCOM.

Where are you getting that from that article. Nothing in there that I saw gives any indication that anything in this game is a testing ground for a new XCOM. The only future XCOM thing that could really be taken away from that article is hit percentages might work different the next go around.
It is what they said about the SoyCOM game. There's no reason to believe they wouldn't use this licensed game as a test bed too.

Also, the new XCOM games are constantly lying to the player about hit chances. It is really gross and you can find more details in their GDC talks.

Where are you getting that from that article. Nothing in there that I saw gives any indication that anything in this game is a testing ground for a new XCOM. The only future XCOM thing that could really be taken away from that article is hit percentages might work different the next go around.
It is what they said about the SoyCOM game. There's no reason to believe they wouldn't use this licensed game as a test bed too.

Also, the new XCOM games are constantly lying to the player about hit chances. It is really gross and you can find more details in their GDC talks.

The only thing he directly seems to be talking about with XCOM are hit chances. Other than that, Solomon calls it the opposite of XCOM. If I was going to take anything away from that interview with regard to future XCOM games from Solomon, it's that hit chances will be different, although the overall article doesn't make me think you'll never be able to miss like how you don't miss in this game.

Other than that, there's nothing there that'd make me think the next XCOM is going to be a card game or some thing. Although their XCOM games have a very board game feel to them, and stuff like grenades have always had a kind of cards in a board game aspect to them. They also already seemed to test some of the stuff this game is doing in that XCOM: Chimera Squad game Solomon didn't work on.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh god. It is the feel good assist game like a shitty exercise bike/treadmill saying you just burnt 5k calories. Here you get hit bonuses and aliens penalties. Sheesh.

How many games fo this shit?

J1M

Arcane
Th newer xcoms lie about your hit % chances?
Yes, all the time.

Reddit is gross, but here's a summary that I googled for you: https://www.reddit.com/r/XCOM2/comments/45u81x/yes_xcom_2s_rng_cheats_in_your_favor_heres_how/
Doesn't every difficulty level below "legendary" explicitly say that it fudges things in your favor? Not exactly watergate here.
MTcwNzE4

There's nothing wrong with a game giving a hit bonus each time you miss or something like that. Though it really should be visible as a buff on the character. And a game designer should really should NOT use percentages that purposefully lie to the player while smugly reclining in his chair reflecting on how the public is too stupid to know what 50% feels like when 50% in his game doesn't mean 50%.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The First Avenger himself, Captain America, has joined the Midnight Suns. Go in-depth into his abilities, playstyle, and tactics with our gameplay showcase, featuring 2K Nextmaker and strategy gamer extraordinaire, Christopher Odd.

negator2vc

Scholar
Why it looks like that in the Christopher Odd's video someone else wrote those words instead of letting him give his honest
opinion?
Yikes!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Think you know everything about Cap? Think again.

Follow Steve Rogers’ journey from scrawny recruit to super-solder before he joins the Midnight Suns on October 7.

deuxhero

Arcane
Damn, that reveal image. How do you take a 10/10 character design like Ghost Rider and turn him into that piece of shit?
Ghost Rider's the only American comic book character I've ever been interested in but I never read his comics. I read once that all the Marvel characters are always intersecting with each other and getting wrapped up in big, shitty sci-fi story arcs, which makes me never want to read any capeshit. The idea that Ghost Rider is taking place in the same world as the fucking Fantastic Four is enough to repel me.

It really depends on the writer. Some series, like the original run of Power Pack, actually incorporate the shared universe shenanigans well enough to make the characters feel like they exist in a world, rather than shoehorned into a sales mandated event. Others just fall apart when you remember anything else exists in them (X-Men).

It's weird they're just using the 3D models for the cards. If you're making a Marvel game where cards play a central role in the experience, you'd think you'd do something like make the cards look like a throwback to old Impel/SkyBox cards of the '90s...an era which this comic event they're using comes from. Would at least make the cards look cooler.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

From cracking jokes to cracking skulls, Tony's always got a plan.

Join Iron Man and the Midnight Suns when the game launches October 7: https://2kgam.es/3v221RR

Possessing bottomless cash reserves and a brilliant intellect, Tony Stark knows all about privilege. He has the resources to turn any challenge into a success, thanks to his own mind and the wealth from his father’s corporation. After a deadly bomb blast, he even transformed the shrapnel lodged in his chest and threatening his heart into a net-benefit; it pushed him to perfect not only his innovative Arc Reactor, but also a hi-tech suit of armor.

However, Tony is also aware of just how lucky he is…and is even a little conflicted about it. Of all the descriptors commonly applied to him -- millionaire, playboy, genius -- he’s decided he likes “hero” best. He wants to see his technology reshape the world, but unlike his father, he wants that change to be a positive one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Iron Man brings his devastating ranged arsenal and unmatched traversal against Lilith’s forces. Hang on to your repulsors.

Go in-depth into his abilities, playstyle, and tactics with our gameplay showcase, featuring 2K Nextmaker and strategy gamer extraordinaire, Christopher Odd.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Tony Stark needs no introduction. But how did the billionaire, playboy, genius, philanthropist come to be?

Catch up on Iron Man’s ascent to Avengers Tower before he lands in the Abbey grounds as a Midnight Sun on October 7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom