Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most important quality of a good RPG?

What makes a good RPG?

• Graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gameplay

• Lore/story

• NPC dialogue

• Freedom

• Quests

• An idiotc Fanbase (Oblivion General for the win)

• Radient AI (lol)

• Lionhead studios (lol)

• Total voters

EvoG

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
I would think that the most important things in a ROLE PLAYING GAME would be ROLEPLAYING and GAMEplay.

So of course all the developers focus on combat and graphics.

This is interesting. I have yet to read anyone actually separating combat from the equation, only of course the endless creationism vs. evolutionism...err TB vs. RT arguments. Dare I say you're all for little to no combat Llama? Like a an amalgam of adventure gaming and RPG?

Imbecile

Arbiter
Hamanu said:
Yep, it can have great lore and stink as an rpg, but I just can't see how it can even be an rpg without lore. .

I disagree. Lore can make an RPG into a richer game, but you dont need it to make a game an RPG. I alays think of the lore as the information about the game world that isnt directly relevant to the plot.

So for example if you meet two brothers, and kill one - and the other comes looking for you in search of revenge, you have choice and consequence but little Lore. You can add to the Lore by creating a story about the two brothers that happened when they were kids. Maybe one saved the other from a freak Rhino accident. Who knows. The point is, that while it enriches the game, the game can be an RPG without Lore.

I'm going to stick up a little for graphics and voice acting too. While they arent as important as gameplay (however you define that), they can contribute in their own small way.

Without decent graphics, the elftits would be nowhere near as gratifying.
Secondly decent graphics can often provide a reward in of themselves to exploration.
Thirdly, often graphics can often enable new types of gameplay. Unless you can accurately represent light and shade, its going to be hard to have your character sneak between them.

Decent voice acting also adds to proceedings. perhaps not in a particularly cost effective way, but if youre going to have voice acting at all, its worth avoiding the poor quality stuff (as Residental evil showed to comic effect).

There are still lots of things that rank higher than both decent graphics and decent voice acting, but in an ideal world you'd prefer both on top of all the other options.

I voted gameplay :P

Chefe

Erudite
HORSE EROSION!!!!!!!!!!1!1111!!!!111!1!!111111oneoneone

k_bits

Scholar
Penis

Happiness = (haPENIS).

Coincidence? Or Erich Von Daniken like prophetic discovery?

*There's* your RPG. Call it... "The penis Da vinci code" or something

Modo

Novice
All the listed elements contribute to a great RPG ( excluding Lionhead studio, Radient AI, Fanbase and ofc Patrick Steward who is missing - how could you, moron?!?!).
Can`t have a GREAT game without any of these.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
^ What he said.
  1. Freedom: A bad word but the closest you have to what I mean. By this I mean the ability to do what you think your character should do in that situation. IE: Not forced into selling someone into slavery and other things which go against what you think you would do in that situation. Non-linearity. Choice and consequence.
  2. Quests: Provided they include the options above for multiple solutions and even ruining them completely if you kill an important character. If that's my choice, I should be able to live with it. Beyond that, they need to be more involved than simple Fed Ex Delivery Boy quests.
  3. Gameplay: From a computer game point of view, if it doesn't have interesting gameplay, I won't be playing regardless of how in-depth the quests or dialogue is. Aspects of gameplay which allow various "freedoms" too. Like stealth vs brute force vs diplomat.
  4. Lore/story: A good story is important. Non-linear (in that I have options and multiple ways of completing the game). Lore adds to the gameworld and a believeable gameworld is always a good thing for role-playing.
  5. NPC dialogue: It has to be well-written. I think it needs to be present for me to consider something a "True RPG" today. Second below lore/story because good dialogue comes from a good story.
  6. Graphics: Graphics need to be presentable (Certainly not at Oblivion's level for example, but able to get the point across. Which something like Fallout can still do today - though it'd be niceer in a higher resolution).
All of the above in that order.

Bidjou

Novice
FOR A GOOD RPG YOU HAVE TO MEET THESE ABSOLUTES PREQUISITES

A great title for the game that give promises of sequels like: "Eternal sunshine of the rising sun: the lost kingdoms of apathy"
A lot of great hyping memorable quotes that give wet dreams their true meaning,like:
this game will last forever,You'll never be able to play something else,the best graphics since computer gaming is born,a true hero is born to behold,this game will redifine the meaning of your existance,etc
the game has to bring new roleplaying words, like: parallax smooth shadowing,spell effects transluscant ligthning effects Tm,real time movements and action realistic movement patherns and stunt effects engine,etc
the game has to announce thousands of features that defines the true meaning of rpg, like: Unprecendented real time combat,billions of objects ,millions of possible characters,freaking absolutely huge and erormous landscape mass, absolute and infinte freedom of choices,trillions of monsters etc
Has to take at least 4 years to see the light then be postponed a least two time and has to cost millions dollars
So for a good rpg you only have to take into account what was hyped before and say More ,who cares the result the only viable achivement is Mony, a good rpg a to smell cash from every orrifice,if your fanbase is not stupid enough you can cancel the title you won't earn enough.

Now for a more serious answer I'm still working on my post for this thread
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10727

Tekar

Novice
I chose dialogue. Mainly becouse dialogue is often very limited and in most cases no matter what you do in the end it'll have the same effect.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Oh I don't know, choices, real character development, that kind of thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom