Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline MTG: Commander Format is Awful

ind33d

Educated
Commander precons is propably the best precon product wotc has made. You can actually take a precon to an fnm and have fun and maybe even win a game.

Intro decks on the hand sucked ass. Wotc purposefully made them bad. No wonder nobody wanted to buy them.
without starter decks, is there even a way for a hypothetical customer to find the rules of the fucking game? i literally don't think there is. if you buy a booster box in 2024, you end up with a stack of cardboard cut-outs of naked gay men and no clue what you're supposed to do with them. it's like those uncontacted aztecs who think you carve a runway and airplanes will spawn

TedNugent

Arcane
I got into magic for one standard cycle before my decks got phased out. My understanding is that people played Commander because the only alternative that people actually play is Standard.

And Standard requires you to constantly stay up to date with shit and then you end up throwing away shoeboxes full of cards and perfectly good decks because of the shift in the standard cycle, and that was just way too much for me to deal with. Standard was definitely the most fun, until you can't play your deck and have to throw it in a shoebox and buy a brand new fucking deck.

From what people told me, Modern and Legacy are ass because there's too many broken combos. Which just tells me that Wizards is a shitty company that designs their product specifically to create artificial churn by power creeping and/or releasing combos that are intentionally broken when used in tandem with prior editions. You have to keep pace with the window or you end up dealing with utter nonsense decks. Commander regulates this by allowing you to have one of a card from any edition in a 100 minimum size deck, which limits the amount of excess that would naturally result from having 4 of any one card in a 60 deck.

spectre

Arcane
From what people told me, Modern and Legacy are ass because there's too many broken combos. Which just tells me that Wizards is a shitty company that designs their product specifically to create artificial churn by power creeping and/or releasing combos that are intentionally broken when used in tandem with prior editions. You have to keep pace with the window or you end up dealing with utter nonsense decks.
There is a design team that's supposed to filter that, so I suppose you could call it intentional, but when you have decades worth of cards it gets pretty difficult to foresee each and every interaction,
especially some really niche shit everyone forgot was ever printed like Mycosynth Lettuce.
I can sympathize that it can be a bad experience if one just wants to play out their little piles of cards without ever interacting with the opponent... and then boom, the combo deck announces that the game is over.
And power creep means it will happen on turn 3, sometimes earlier.

Well, if commander was supposed to be a solution to that, to me that is like treating cancer with ebola. IMO the game already struggles with land draws randomly screwing you and adding additional randomness on top is nuts.
To me, the format's main appeal is the delicate power balance achieved through multiplayer - someone's bound to have an interaction at the moment, so you can't brute force a win, it needs to be sneaked through.

In contrast, what I personally like about older formats is that you get all these tools to manage RNG - fetchlands into shocklands means mana screw is completely preventable and a four color deck is no biggie.
There's also plenty of cheap deck manipulation. If having to interact with the opponent is the price to pay, so be it.
The problem is there's a lot of avenues to cover - graveyard strategies will need a different answer, land-based win conditions need another, storm strategies need something else entirely.
Sometimes you will need a duress and another time a counterspell. Standard sorta works as a Bo1 format (though looking at the current delayed rotation... yeah, not really), but I cannot fathom playing an extended format without sideboards.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Commander precons is propably the best precon product wotc has made. You can actually take a precon to an fnm and have fun and maybe even win a game.

Intro decks on the hand sucked ass. Wotc purposefully made them bad. No wonder nobody wanted to buy them.
without starter decks, is there even a way for a hypothetical customer to find the rules of the fucking game? i literally don't think there is. if you buy a booster box in 2024, you end up with a stack of cardboard cut-outs of naked gay men and no clue what you're supposed to do with them. it's like those uncontacted aztecs who think you carve a runway and airplanes will spawn
My guess is new people get introduced through either mtg arena or friends. Some gaming stores also give demos (I think you even get a free 30-40 card deck) and organize events for new players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom