Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst masterpiece edition on Windows 2000

Gambler

Augur
Did anyone by any chance run into the problem when M:ME gives you a black screen on startup and than just closes? I tried patches, compatibility mode, I even tried installing windows 98 on virtual box (which didn't work). Nothing seems to help. Strange, very strange.

BTW, does anyone have MS Compatibility Toolkit 3.0? I think it might help, and MS pulled it off the website, replacing by some kind of vista migration program. Bastards. It ws a program that made DK2 work. It had tons of options and even some famous game presets.

Gambler

Augur
XP works in VirtualBox, and it even runs M:ME, but the sound and speed are horrible. I just pirated the original version and it works fine. You know, when games in stores have less probability of working than pirated versions (which is increasingly true), something is wrong.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You actually found the masterpiece edition in a store? It was released in 1999. If you want a "new" version of Myst, try realMYST, it's a carbon copy in 3D graphics, with new world at the end.

Redlands

Arcane
KazikluBey said:
You actually found the masterpiece edition in a store? It was released in 1999. If you want a "new" version of Myst, try realMYST, it's a carbon copy in 3D graphics, with new world at the end.

You can get it if you buy this box which has all 5 of the core Myst games inside. That's what I did to get them all.

Supposedly if you uninstall QuickTime and reinstall the version that came on the CD, you're fine. However, that did not work for me - even after setting it to compatability mode. I found a website that seemed to suggest some help with this problem in some forum, but I can't seem to find it again.

EDIT: If you do this, and then use the Control Panel icon for QuickTime and set it to safe mode, it works. Well, at least for me.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Myst masterpiece
30542270lu0.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom