Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New 4x Space Strategy: Aphelion Phoenix Rising

Seboss

Liturgist
Voted for you. I was not really impressed by the competition, but... two ratings so far for you :?

gorgse

Novice
Voted for you. I was not really impressed by the competition, but... two ratings so far for you.

Thanks alot Seboss! :). We just added not that long ago, so 2 votes are ok, at least everyone has given us 5 stars. And yea, the comp isn't that great so far. if its any indication of things to come, I think we have a great chance at winning

Jared

Seboss

Liturgist
Hey no problem, sincerely looking forward to your game.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
gorgse said:
Voted for you. I was not really impressed by the competition, but... two ratings so far for you.

Thanks alot Seboss! :). We just added not that long ago, so 2 votes are ok, at least everyone has given us 5 stars. And yea, the comp isn't that great so far. if its any indication of things to come, I think we have a great chance at winning

Jared

Jared you should keep putting updates on here every month at least.
Also, you might want to contact one of the mods to put up a news post about your game.
Also, another RPG site that has a lot of people on it is RPG Watch, you would get interest there as well.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That Intel page constantly tells me to "enter a valid address", even though I entered 3 valid addresses already. So - sorry, but since I can't get the ID, I can't vote.

Seboss

Liturgist
buccaroobonzai said:
Also, you might want to contact one of the mods to put up a news post about your game.
I think an interview with a member of Tacticular Cancer would be nice.

The Dude

Liturgist
How much effort are you guys putting into the AI? For me AI is key since I'm mostly a single player when it comes to turnbased 4x. I also dislike AI that's too blatantly cheating unless it makes sense from a story perspective. Your game seems very complex and I have found that for many indie devs in the genre AI is one of those things that are either ignored, or a great struggle to get properly implemented. So will the AI be any good?

gorgse

Novice
AI is pretty good as it is right now. It doens't cheat, but it knows the most effeicient way of doing things which by itself is quite powerfull, In the condition that the alpha copy is in right now, it usally can kick butt. Our biggest prob will be dumbing it down without making it too dumb in certian aspects.We might do this by throwing random number generators in certain points so it doesn't always chose the most optimal choice. Still it's actually pretty hard to do this, as its really easy to completely "break" the Ai to where the choices are just random. We have found that with the complexity of our game, it is best to seperate each AI. Say each system of planets is given an order by the overal AI, but not what to build. Based on that order (say we need science) the AI of the system builds more sciences. But the system AI is completely seperate, it just gets info from the main AI. Seperating the Ai's so you don't have an overal AI that is in everything has helped fine tune things quite a bit.

Yikes when I first read this i was like... I'm taking that is one of the mods of the forum. I'm always up for getting the word out about Aphelion so I'd be up for that.

That Intel page constantly tells me to "enter a valid address", even though I entered 3 valid addresses already. So - sorry, but since I can't get the ID, I can't vote.
Well thanks for trying, yea I have heard some complants about the registration and voting, I had a friend hit 1 star for our rating by accident, lol. So far I don't see to much for comp on the site. Our main goal is for Sid Meier, Brad Wardell and Will Wright to look at our game. I feel with their backgrounds they will recognize Aphelions potential.

Also, another RPG site that has a lot of people on it is RPG Watch, you would get interest there as well.
Thanks I was not aware of that site. I will post there soon!

Seboss

Liturgist
gorgse said:
Yikes when I first read this i was like... I'm taking that is one of the mods of the forum. I'm always up for getting the word out about Aphelion so I'd be up for that.
http://tacticularcancer.com/ It's a sister site of the Codex.
Oh and Strategy Core is pretty good too. I'm sure they would be interested in your game.

If you're looking for exposure in France and other French speaking countries, Cyberstratege is the way to go.

The Dude

Liturgist
gorgse said:
AI is pretty good as it is right now. It doens't cheat, but it knows the most effeicient way of doing things which by itself is quite powerfull, In the condition that the alpha copy is in right now, it usally can kick butt. Our biggest prob will be dumbing it down without making it too dumb in certian aspects.We might do this by throwing random number generators in certain points so it doesn't always chose the most optimal choice. Still it's actually pretty hard to do this, as its really easy to completely "break" the Ai to where the choices are just random. We have found that with the complexity of our game, it is best to seperate each AI. Say each system of planets is given an order by the overal AI, but not what to build. Based on that order (say we need science) the AI of the system builds more sciences. But the system AI is completely seperate, it just gets info from the main AI. Seperating the Ai's so you don't have an overal AI that is in everything has helped fine tune things quite a bit.

This sounds good but still worries me a bit. If your AI indeed is so good that you have to "dumb it down", it - to me - sounds like the gameplay might be very formulaic with a single correct way of doing most stuff. This might be totally unfounded though, and I'm looking forward to any playable code you might release in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom