Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New "The Witcher" Preview (Moral Choices)

Ander Vinz

Scholar
I haven't read about this choice before.
With this consequent quest design it looks like Twitcher can actually beat Gothic. Non-linear slasher is fresh idea.

Gwendo

Augur
The consequences of your choice won't become clear until much later, as much as 10 or 12 hours in gameplay time. If you decide to let the elves and dwarves have the weapons, you'll eventually discover that they are using them against innocent civilians in their insurgency. Even worse, they kill an important non-player character, and his death removes a plotline and quests from the game. However, if you decide to kill the elves and dwarves, you'll eventually discover that their deaths sparked an investigation by the authorities. It turns out that you inadvertently are the cause of the insurgency's downfall, as the authorities identify the remaining rebel members and ringleaders, including another important NPC. His removal from the game denies you his plotline and quests. Note that there's no "good" option here; in either case, someone important to you is going to die. And the outcomes aren't something that you could have predicted, either. Over the course of the game, the consequences of your choices begin to cascade, and the state of the world can change wildly depending on your decisions.

Timur

Scholar
O MY GAWD! THATS IT BABY KEEP IT UP YOU KNOW I LIKE IT LIKE THAT.....URAAHHHHHHHHHYHHHHHHHHH.

Fuck. Now I'm going to have to change my pants.

I should be able to get the Dwarves and Elves to fuck off, and not have to kill them or give them my weapons.

spacemoose

Erudite
yeah, the twitcher is on my buy-as-soon-as-released list

we might be in for a small rpg renaissance soon - the witcher, afterfall, age of decadence, eschalon. any I missed?

What about Mass Effect? According to the BioWare forums, many people believe it'll have a place in history along with Half-life and Tetris(their choices, if I recall).

Texas Red

Whiner
Spacemoose said:

we might be in for a small rpg renaissance soon - the witcher, afterfall, age of decadence, eschalon. any I missed?

NWN 2 expansion. Because they will not include the stupid design decisions and focus on everything that PWNDED in the OC, and those parts were great RP.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Spacemoose said:

Dragon Age and the new Obsidian RPG (not Aliens, the unnamed one)

The Broken Hourglass?

Jack Bauer in Space?

That Planescape module thingy?

Somebody getting J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avellone drunk enough to decide to release all of their Van Buren materials for the purpose of a fanmade Fallout 3?

If Fargo pulls a miracle and doesn't screw up Wasteland 2.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm kinda surprised how many Gamespotters seem to like the idea of an RPG with ambiguous choices and unclear consequences.
There are lots of folks that don't seem impressed by the idea of a simple good/evil choice.

spacemoose

Erudite
Claw said:
I'm kinda surprised how many Gamespotters seem to like the idea of an RPG with ambiguous choices and unclear consequences.
There are lots of folks that don't seem impressed by the idea of a simple good/evil choice.

our bitching is changing the world!

I fully expect them to howl when they actually play the game and experience the negative results of certain decisions

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom