Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Witcher info, and it sounds good.

MountainWest

Scholar
Here.

One of our original goals for the game was to provide the player with great liberty of decision, and to ensure the player's choices would have a significant impact on the plot. The world of The Witcher is one where there is no clear distinction between good and evil, so the player must occasionally make very difficult decisions. One of the newer features we've implemented is a flashback system that conveys to the players some of the decisions he's made to trigger recent plot events. It's proven to be a great way to show players the impact of their actions.

This interview put The Witcher on my 'gonna buy'-list. Fuck, he sounded like he'd been visiting the Codex. The free roaming part can be discussed, I guess. But personally, I'll take a great story and a somewhat resticted world before an Oblivion-kind-of-game any day.

wowow. this game is absolutley gorgoeus. does this game run on the oblivion engine? imagine playing WoW in these graphics now that would be awesome.
Because out of that whole interview, what do the people still care about? Graphics.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Action-rpg with meaningful choices? Good. Still needs more bloom though.

Globbi

Augur
Cool, a new interviwe with everything that has already been said a few months ago and been discussen on codex a few days ago.

sqeecoo

Arcane
MountainWest said:
One of the newer features we've implemented is a flashback system that conveys to the players some of the decisions he's made to trigger recent plot events. It's proven to be a great way to show players the impact of their actions.

[/quote]

This sounds interesting, might be great if not overused.

MountainWest

Scholar
Globbi said:
Cool, a new interviwe with everything that has already been said a few months ago and been discussen on codex a few days ago.

OMG!!! OMG!!! I like, you know, thought I put up some new info. And then you show up and tell me it has already been 'discussen'. How utterly embarassing :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Shit, I'll never live down the shame. Do you collect all your info somewhere? Could you give me a link? I'd really like to be as informed as you, you silly, silly, fuck.

Callaxes

Arbiter
The only complaint I have with this game is that even though the atmosphere is the bastard child of Alan Poe's imagination. The graphics makes the game look like fucking Disneyland!

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
cool.

Ive followed the games development somewhat, and whats funny is: Inverse to most games out there, the closer the game is to being released, the better the better the 'hype' gets.

I remember their early PR stuff like that infamous "RPG redefined" nonsense, but it has gotten better and better in time.

As MW said, it alsmost seems as if the designers had visited the codex and adopted a great share of ideas for their game.
Its also a good sign that they dont talk only in interview to the codex about the choices and consequences thing, but also try to put an emphasize on it on mainstream gaming media.
They dont change their PR to please certain target audiences.

Thats more promising than any other RPG in recent time.
However, lets wait if they really can deliver. My biggest fear is

1) Combat will suck, and that would be death for a more action and combat oriented RPG
2) They have great ideas, but the execution will fail

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, one of my gripes so far is that the game has relatively few skills and abilities from what I have seen, so you will have trouble playing a real role and expressing this role through skill-checks in dialogue for example.

However- the role in this game is quite defined already- you are the Witcher, no way around it. This makes me forgive the former a little, and as long as those choices and consequences are indeed present I am positive that this game will be enjoyable. Better start learning Polish though because translations tend to suck...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
They were recruiting people for betatesting some time ago, but unfortunately the job required moving to Warsaw.

Baphomet

Scholar
One of our original goals for the game was to provide the player with great liberty of decision, and to ensure the player's choices would have a significant impact on the plot. The world of The Witcher is one where there is no clear distinction between good and evil, so the player must occasionally make very difficult decisions.

I'm skeptical because it seems everyone says this about their games. I know it was said for NWN2, and I think it was said for Oblivion and Fable. When someone actually delivers, they'll get my fifty dollars USD.

One of the newer features we've implemented is a flashback system that conveys to the players some of the decisions he's made to trigger recent plot events. It's proven to be a great way to show players the impact of their actions.

That sounds awesome.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
But these guys have actually showed off some of their choices and consequences in an interview. It looks like doing blind good makes you a stupid, naive motherfucker...and that is very, very cool in my book.

elander_

Arbiter
I'm not expect an explosion of consequences or a thousand of different endings but only the possibility of being able to shifting the story a bit to reveal something interesting that comes from the context or to shift events in a more favorable way for my character skills. Yeah this depends mostly on execution but it's nice to see they are trying.

MasPingon

Arcane
The Witcher is NOT action-crpg. It ment to be in 2004 but then the whole structure of the game have changed. Official CDP statement is that The Witcher is real crpg, but some sites, like gayspot, are still missinforming the gamers

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
They can call it whatever they want, it is players who decide if it's an action-crpg, regular crpg, gay-crpg or a furry-fuckfest.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
MasPingon said:
The Witcher is NOT action-crpg. It ment to be in 2004 but then the whole structure of the game have changed. Official CDP statement is that The Witcher is real crpg, but some sites, like gayspot, are still missinforming the gamers

Lets not start with this again. The 'Action' in Action RPG for me refers to the combat part alone, and this has no impact of the 'realness' of the other RPG aspects.

Despite all choices and consequences and other stuff the codex love the game seems to be combat oriented to a great deal, and the combat system seems rather actiony.
For me, this is not a bad thing per se, but I think it justifies the 'Action' in Action-RPG, unless of course the game is totally different from what I assume it is.

I think that tag Action RPG refering mainly to style and amount of combat do not contradict realness of other RPG aspects necessarily.

sheek

Arbiter
The fact that communists have been left to make our Action-RPGs is a blatant failure of the free market.

Suicidal

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Elwro said:
We're ultraalcoholic right-wing extremists now, keep on with the facts.

Fixed.

Surprisingly, I read "ultracatholic" as "ultraalcoholic" the first time I read Elwro's post so you didn't really fix anything, for me atleast.

On topic: I hope this game delivers what has been promised. I'm more excited about this one, than any other non-indie RPG that is currently in development. So far most of the things they said concerning choices & consequences, non-linearity, the player's influence on the gameworld and other interesting gameplay aspects sound promising.

rei1974

Scholar
Yes it sounds promising indeed. However I'm very skeptical they'll be able to mantain all that. How many good games you played that had all those features? non-linear, consequences, influence etc?

I played only Darklands and it's quite old... :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom