Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Night Watch - English Demo

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Anyone got some feedback on the demo? I'm on a 56k atm so the prospect of downloading it myself does not appeal without some hive mind input.

Books should be out in English soon. Accidentally read part of the first one, when a friend in publishing carelessly left it next to my eyes. Seemed to be a very good setting and concept.

Jason

chasing a bee
It's OK so far. The combat is TB using action points. You choose one of three classes (wizard, enchanter, or shapeshifter). The wizard is what you might expect (INT based). The enchanter specializes in creating & using magical items (DEX based, for some reason). The shapeshifter is a melee fighter that can turn into beasts or something (STR based). I like the fact that it's magic in a real world setting and it has TB combat. I don't like that the game "feels" a bit sloppy (sorry I can't be more precise). Of course, I haven't played much so it can get a lot better or a lot worse.

Zomg

Arbiter
Points for a promising setting (I liked the bit with the fluorescent tube) and promising TB combat, but the characterization and presentation are really, really hacky and weak. Small spoilers, but there's a really bad fumble of a classic literary fantasy/sci-fi setup (mundane person introduced to magical world) and several pretty brutal cliches are trotted out in rapid succession - and I think the problems are deeper than the translation and acting. Combined with some egregious illogic its hard to take the game seriously, but on the other hand the interesting setting may take over after the beginning portion of the game.

LCJr.

Erudite
CTD every time at the start of the subway mission. Maybe a bad download. With the dialogue up to that point and the "magic flashlight" don't think I'll try it again.

Temoid

Scholar
The book was shitty pulp, but then almost everything its author wrote is shitty pulp. I wouldn't expect a great game built from such a retarded story.

Jason

chasing a bee
I gave up after the subway mission. That part did have some great dialogue, though.

PC: Oh my God, everyone in this car has been demoralized!
subway driver (over intercom): Who's there?
PC: It's me
subway driver: Me who?
PC: Me, passenger.

You then have to fight the subway driver for some reason.

Fresh

Erudite
baby arm said:
I gave up after the subway mission. That part did have some great dialogue, though.

PC: Oh my God, everyone in this car has been demoralized!
subway driver (over intercom): Who's there?
PC: It's me
subway driver: Me who?
PC: Me, passenger.

You then have to fight the subway driver for some reason.
Hehe sounds like great fun

Balor

Arcane
I suspect "demoralized" mean reverse 'moralization' - and 'Moralization' is, actually, a 'spell' that turn people towards 'Good'.
However, Lukianenko books are nice... expecially 'Day Watch' written with Vasiliev. It begin to go downhill as author begun to dabble in Christianity, unfortunately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom