Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS games.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Being an anime and JRPG fan, but not really wanting to spring for a PS3 or Xbox 360 I probably won't use much anyway I've been thinking of getting a Nintendo DS. It's got several interesting games coming out for it soon that I'd like to play, but I've curious if there're any worth getting out now besides Castlevania.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Call of Duty: World at War DS is the most visually and aurally impressive 3D title on the platform.

Metroid: Hunters is also a great looker, but its rather monotonous.

Silellak

Cipher
Shoelip said:
Being an anime and JRPG fan, but not really wanting to spring for a PS3 or Xbox 360 I probably won't use much anyway I've been thinking of getting a Nintendo DS. It's got several interesting games coming out for it soon that I'd like to play, but I've curious if there're any worth getting out now besides Castlevania.

I imagine if you like both anime and JRPGs, then The World Ends With You is right up your alley.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword?
There's a post-apoc Advance Wars game as well, might be of interest.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Thanks for all the feedback. I was hoping for a bit more reasons why they're good.

Silellak said:
Shoelip said:

I imagine if you like both anime and JRPGs, then The World Ends With You is right up your alley.

Hm, that game sort of gave me a similar vibe to Persona 3 though i didn't see much about it. Any M rated games on the system?

Tintin

Arbiter
Pokemon. Okay, whatever, it's still the most fun handheld game and has been for 10 years.

I liked "Lunar Knight" too.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Hm, what's different with Pokemon? The last one I played was crystal version (the third in the gold/silver series) on game boy color.

Tintin

Arbiter
Well, nothing, really, but if you liked it back then it remains addictive and enjoyable for most people. Plus you can play with other people around the globe now with an online hookup. I bought a DS a while ago and never really played anything else.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is great if you're into adventure games. Well written story and good dialogue, and I liked the art style.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a point/click puzzle and adventure game for the DS. My favorite DS game, some of the puzzles can be a total bitch to solve and it's the perfect game to play when you've only got a short break during work or something.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shoelip said:
Hm, what's different with Pokemon? The last one I played was crystal version (the third in the gold/silver series) on game boy color.

If you just play for the story, it's the same old shit. If you play for the tactics, things are completely different. Gone is the boring GSC stalling metagame and the physical/special split turned things on its head.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
I can't believe noone has mentioned Etria Odessy. It is a fucking wizardry style game where you have to draw your own map. This is a game that deserves codex attention, despite the jrpg fag graphics.

obediah

Erudite
SpaceKungFuMan said:
I can't believe noone has mentioned Etria Odessy. It is a fucking wizardry style game where you have to draw your own map. This is a game that deserves codex attention, despite the jrpg fag graphics.

Both etrian games are great dungeon grinds.

As others have said Hotel Dusk and Professor Layton are fun thinky games.

There are some decent tactics jrpgs. Luminous arc, a fighting bug game, etc...

Panzer Tactics DS is a nice WWII game. The DS version of EndWar is supposed to be nice. The advance war games are simple, yet fun. The AnnoDS is good, if you like RT city/island builders.

The best DS game I've come across is Picross DS. I'm not normally a puzzle game fan, but it kicks ass.

There's also a pile of classic jrpgs. I'm playing Dragon Quest IV right now, which is fun in small doses.

ecliptic

Liturgist
If you're a JRPG fan, in that respect you'd be better off going with a PSP. It's been flooded with JRPGs, some quite excellent (Star Ocean I) some not so much (Valhalla Knights, sadly).

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tintin said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
boring GSC stalling metagame

What are you referring to here?

Competitive battling. GSC encouraged tanking and defensive moves resulting in long, drawn out battles.

Personally, I'd say Pokemon for DS is worth it to pick up for online battling alone.

Lightknight

Liturgist
The best DS game I've come across is Picross DS. I'm not normally a puzzle game fan, but it kicks ass.
The need to zoom in/out and scroll around ruined it for me...

There is also Soma Bringer, which is something of a Diablo-clone, with kick-ass fast graphics (for a DS, anyway), 2 companions with definable tactics settings, and despite no chances of having a (E/U) release - theres a high-quality fan translation which is about 95% done, including story.

Shoelip

Arbiter
ecliptic said:
If you're a JRPG fan, in that respect you'd be better off going with a PSP. It's been flooded with JRPGs, some quite excellent (Star Ocean I) some not so much (Valhalla Knights, sadly).

I was sort of interested in the PSP, but I here all sorts of bad things about it's hardware. I know I can trust nintendo hardware to work even after being embedded in a television or completely submerged in a lake for over a minute (personal experience). The main reasons I want a DS are Suikoden Tierkreis, and Infinite Space (Formerly Infinite Line). Two upcoming games that look really interesting from what I've seen of them. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll keep them in mind.

The main downside I see to the DS is it's need to be kid safe, so pretty much all it's games are rated E... So... yeah, I guess I'm open to convincing on the merits of the PSP as well if anyone wants to bother trying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom