Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On RPGs and Ironman playing mode

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Since combat is inevitable in the classic RPG :lol: ....

The only one I have managed to finish playing this style is TOEE, first time through ! This speaks volumes about the combat system they developed, and so much potential wasted...

Fallout 2, I get wasted around NCR or New Reno, or near Geko (by ghoul crazies encouter), so you have to be really lucky to reach Navarro without getting killed, I suppose I am not very lucky.

Baldur's Gate, here you have to knowledge of the story, otherwise you are getting killed in advance because you did not know that a mermaid is going to kiss you :roll:

Arcanum, this is the only one I feel I could finish in Iron Man mode besides TOEE, but the combat is still to arbitrary and the critical miss too severe (a critical miss with the hunting rifle can rip you appart, like it has both barrels packed with TNT)

Drawing the line, depending on a party instead on a main character is more forgiving, avoiding stupid scripted ecounters is good, throwing in some rules and stats is not enough, I still can't believe what the developers of TOEE did achieve with their not so grandious project...

Helton

Arcane
Fallout's critical hit system makes it a bitch in this regard. Moreso in 2, though.

Planescape is impossible for iron-man. :(

Sodomy

Scholar
What? PS:T is incredibly easy to ironman, since you just get up and keep going when you die...

Helton

Arcane
Sodomy said:
What? PS:T is incredibly easy to ironman, since you just get up and keep going when you die...

Thought the idea of ironman was not to die. Or is it something to do with reloading?

Helton said:
Sodomy said:

Thought the idea of ironman was not to die. Or is it something to do with reloading?

The idea of ironman is never reloading a save if you have failed somehow, unless you save and come back to it later. Typically when you die, that is game over, so in most rpgs, ironman constitutes not dying. In pst, you never die, so ironman would be a piece of cake.

Murk

Arcane
Eh, at times the game uses a check point system where you die and are just respawned at the mortuary or whatever place of death and while often this has "plot impacting moments" if you happen to be a total 'tard at combat you very easily use it as nothing but a respawn point - at which point i believe the spiritual meaning behind ironman would be in effect.

Dying for actual reasons in game is okay but dying 'cuz the cranial rats got too much and fingered you to death is not.

Wizardry 8 has an iron man mode in it, which doesn't even need to be unlocked. I'd wager to say that would be pretty hard to complete on iron man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom