Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pacific Drive (Stalker with Family Truckster)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Been playing the demo a couple weeks ago and it hit all the right notes for me. Take good care of your rust bucket, as it is your most important pardner in this mysterious and eerie journey through an Alien junkyard.

The reviews so far are overly positive, even thinking it's up there with cult classics like Subnautica.

I overheard my classmate talking about this game and it definitely reminded me of STALKER. Honestly, what kind of crazy bastard in story would drive through an exclusion zone?

Iucounu

Educated
Doesn't driving a vehicle just insulate you from the environment in a negative way? Both vision and movement are restricted (compared with walking), while the higher speed makes you miss more details outside. :?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1458140/discussions/0/4348858679324509214/

Beware of sequence breaking.
If you know what to do before the game tells you to, then DO NOT DO IT AND WAIT TILL THE QUEST TELLS YOU TO, I've hard locked myself once in the tutorial cuz I scanned and repaired wheels too quickly and lost about 15 minutes of my time.
Later on I picked up the anchor before getting the antenna part and the game allowed me to leave after getting it, but the quest didn't switch to the next part so I couldn't actually build the antenna.
Now I'm hard locked and saving and exiting didn't do ♥♥♥♥.
Learn from my mistakes.
Idk how things like these get past testing ngl.

Shit linear game.

Trithne

Erudite
Yeah from what I played of the Next Fest demo, this isn't American Stalker with a car, it's Firewatch with a car.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Doesn't driving a vehicle just insulate you from the environment in a negative way? Both vision and movement are restricted (compared with walking), while the higher speed makes you miss more details outside. :?
Why would you want to make a slow walk and watch the panorama in an exclusion zone instead of going through it as fast as possible?

Terenty

Liturgist
it's Firewatch with a car.
Firewatch had no gameplay except for walking, Pacific Drive is very gameplay centric and from what I hear can be rather hardcore with no save scumming, which made a lot of people butthurt on steam forums.

But of course the game had to be poisoned by those vomit inducing flags and stickers... Was ready to buy, but now... But now I wonder if I can find it on high seas

Hellraiser

Arcane
I uninstalled it after 30-ish minutes, which was still during the tutorial (specifically just after repairing your car with putty and scrapping some parts). Which is quite the achievement as I honestly don't remember when was the last time I dropped a game like this, and I can be very forgiving regarding very big flaws if the premise is somewhat interesting (and driving exploration+procedural gen is very interesting to me).

All the scrapping "HOLD X key for Y seconds" immersive bullshit seemed like too much busy work (it's fine for the car, not so much for looting and everything fucking else), reminded me of that same crap in RDR2 with looting/crafting, and this is on top of it looking like it's going to get grindy. This just didn't seem like a game that respects the players time, unless someone is an immersion fetishist/autist.

Granted by that point it was hard to tell what the actual fucking gameplay exploring the zone would look like, but the immersive too long intro/tutorial with spooky shit(tm) felt like it's just an ocean house hotel from bloodlines, and the whole thing reeked of a game designed by writers rather than game designers.

Maybe the game has interesting systems in place to deal/fight/sneak around the spooky shit(tm), conserve resources and do "risk management" during expeditions, but it did a very poor job in showing that in the intro sections where spooky shit(tm) is happening.

Also FFS, if you are going for an immersive interaction with your car where you need to turn the ignition on and release hand brake or turn the wipers on, at least make the fucking car have a manual transmission and make the player use the clutch pedal and gearbox stick to shift gears. Yes I know it's a kwan game and they drove/bought automatic by far and large since the 50s, but not having this in a "car-centric" immersive design is just lame. It should have been a toggle at least.

Last edited:

cpmartins

Cipher
I'll never understand where the "hold N to do something" shit came from in computer games. Was anyone having trouble getting another key bound on their keyboards?

Modron

Arcane
I'll never understand where the "hold N to do something" shit came from in computer games. Was anyone having trouble getting another key bound on their keyboards?
A controller only has so many buttons, holding one allows them to double the possible uses of the limited number of buttons. Ports of console games and multiplatform releases.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Attachments

• 20240222173030_1.jpg
    20240222173030_1.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 60

Modron

Arcane
There are two stickers for non-faggotry users. There are like twenty that are, bisexual, trannies, gays, you name it.
It IS set in Washington state, after all...
It's set in the Olympic Peninsula which is mostly rural working class and native americans as far as I know. The further away from the Puget Sound the less degeneration you'll find. Edit: Aberdeen and Port Angeles have gotten a lot bigger in the last 30 years.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
There are two stickers for non-faggotry users. There are like twenty that are, bisexual, trannies, gays, you name it.
It IS set in Washington state, after all...
It's set in the Olympic Peninsula which is mostly rural working class and native americans as far as I know. The further away from the Puget Sound the less degeneration you'll find.
Yes, yes, I know. I live my own version of that not too far away from there.

Iucounu

Educated
I was already sceptical because of the driving, and the annoying boss lady you hear talking in the demo. Verdict: won't play, will warn others.

Beastro

Arcane
I was already sceptical because of the driving, and the annoying boss lady you hear talking in the demo. Verdict: won't play, will warn others.
It's a shame because it seems to have really replicated the PNW and its vibe very well.

cpmartins

Cipher
And the dudes helping you turned out to be fags. Then they gave up trying to figure out how to help the protag and had to call gurlbaws back into the conversation.
Of fucking course.
Edit: there are 3 people you interact in the game. That's it. 2/3 fagoonites in this bitch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom