Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there a link to pre-1.05 patches?
The disc shipped with 1.04, and as Fry said, 1.06 was the first patch for it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
have you seen how smart octopi can be? but how they cant do fuck all with it or develop it at all because they have short lifespans, and arent social or communal, therefore what they have dies with them and the species stays the same.
Nope. Linky, linky!

Copper

Savant
I am genuinely curious as to the 'historically realistic' influences in this game that Infinitron sees. You can say Waidwen was inspired by Hans Bohm, but it's hard to see it as any more than a superficial reference, because none of the underlying tensions of feudal, catholic europe are actually present, and everyone's mentality is thoroughly modern.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I am genuinely curious as to the 'historically realistic' influences in this game that Infinitron sees. You can say Waidwen was inspired by Hans Bohm.

I thought he was inspired by Jan Hus.

836px-Spiezer_Chronik_Jan_Hus_1485.jpg

Fairfax

Arcane
I've been thinking about this too. It's possible, but I can't imagine who would want take on the work of overhauling the whole ruleset.
Ask yourself this, (if you had the knowledge and passion to do it) would you rather mod Torment that's going to be out soon or this mediocrity? Would you rather port VTM-Redemption to Unity or something like that, or mod PoE? Come on, it was obvious from the point the game came out.

There will be no overhauls, no miracle mods to fix this game, simply because there's nothing redeeming about it in the first place. Had it been a game with a great storytelling, but with a bad ruleset, then yes, ruleset-fixing mods would've happened. However, Pillars being what it is, good luck waiting for someone who's madly in love with PoE to mod it, and at the same time sane enough to see its actual flaws.

This is a pretty good start. All it needs is a tool to make that easier for everyone, and I'm sure modders will make it a much better game.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Nope. Linky, linky!

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/eating-octopus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalopod_intelligence (the wikipedia does a decent job of summarizing why they can seem intelligent in some ways and not in others due to a wildly different evolutionary path and mechanism for nervous system functions.

https://orionmagazine.org/article/deep-intellect/ AND THIS ONE!

There's many more, it's not a new field of study or discovery, but one that specialty researchers have long been studying. It took till the late 70s for scientists to confirm that dolphin communication was meaningful and creative; somewhere between simple calls and reactions and full-fledged language as we would understand it.

This is not to say all cephalopods are universally of a higher intelligence any more than it would be apt to lump primates as all being highly intelligent when including Lemurs, baboons, humans and tarsiers. Just like primates and ocean mammals the degree of capability displayed varies widely with both species and education.

But as a general rule-of-thumb, I avoid killing and eating: ocean mammals, crows (unless reaching pest levels of population) octopi (though most squid are fair game) and I wouldnt eat most higher-order primates. I dont want to convince everyone else not to as well though, just like I dont want to hear vegans preaching about "anything with a face" as if that's not the most anthropocentric thing ever to say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom