Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Toee for the first time thread.

Kraszu

Prophet
Should I use any mods/unofficial patches?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's the Circle of Eight mod that fixes quite a number of bugs, but adds new content to the game.

Don't remember if you could install just the bugfixes, been quite some time.

cardtrick

Arbiter
In before flamewar between Co8 fans/modders and rabid dumbfucks incensed about the Cloud sword and altering Troika's vision.

Also . . . play with Co8 -- TOEE without it is a painful experience.

Arem

Scholar
Or use this - bugfixes only mod (with most of the Co8 new content removed)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Arem said:
Or use this - bugfixes only mod (with most of the Co8 new content removed)
I thought a bugfixes only patch was a big no-no for the Co8 dramah queens?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have a question, what must I do to run TOEE stable? I ran it under XP SP3 and it crashed all the time. With NoCD exe it is better but then I had a crash after about 10 minutes, which means it's still not stable. Do I have to run on SP1 as some suggest or does the game simply never run stable?

Sodomy

Scholar
Wow, I didn't know about that! Sitra- HUGE thanks for creating this. I'll have to replay ToEE soon.

Saxon1974

Prophet
While I really enjoyed this game in the early stages, the mass combat once I got into the temple kind of turned me off and I stopped playing. Not to mention my PC would really bog down during the large scale fights.

LCJr.

Erudite
Don't play it AT all.

Screw spell checkers I need a missing word checker.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
TOEE was pretty good early on. You can feel the struggle and gradual increase in strengths. The fighter gets stronger, and the wizards have more repertoire.

Early game, my fighters were the core of the grp, if they fall, the rest would just crumble. Later on, Wizards just plain dominate with their crafts and mass damage.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
I have a question, what must I do to run TOEE stable? I ran it under XP SP3 and it crashed all the time. With NoCD exe it is better but then I had a crash after about 10 minutes, which means it's still not stable. Do I have to run on SP1 as some suggest or does the game simply never run stable?

Anecdotal evidence but with XP sp1 i never crashed in TOEE, but I never played on the elemental nodes which were supposed to be the most problematic areas.

It might just like some computers and not others though.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The slowdown in the nodes is something to do with the game engine I think. As for instability, post over at Co8 and I'll see what I can do if you give me your install and computer specs etc. It's probably something daft which is making you crash.

As for bug-fix only patch, Sitra has obviously worked hard stripping things down as far as he has but it's one of those things which is always going to be subjective as to what is additional content and what is a bug-fix. But as cardtrick said, this has been gone over many times before.

It's not that Co8 is against a bug-fix only patch, just that no-one with the right skills has ever really had the time to do it before. The idea has certainly been knocking about for the past couple of years.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't see why you'd want to use an unofficial patch/mod the first time through.

Look at it this way; you'll appreciate that mod more on your second time through.

(I wouldn't use it, but it's because I really am not compatible with Co8; it makes me go barf; but many seem to like it.)

Kraszu

Prophet
Jasede said:

Look at it this way; you'll appreciate that mod more on your second time through.

Yes, but I doubt that I will play it second time.

Shair

Novice
I played till the temple itself without the co8 mod (didnt know about it till then) and when i ended up installing it and restarting the game I never looked back. The little changes to fights are all good, AI feels smarter (at least for mage npcs) and the impressive reportiore of bugs and annoyances dwindle to almost nothing. If there are things in the mod that end up bothering you, you can just ignore them.

In short, if you are going to play it only once till the end like me, I'd definately recommend using the co8 mod. Oh and enjoy the game, its pretty good fun.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Mefi said:
As for bug-fix only patch, Sitra has obviously worked hard stripping things down as far as he has but it's one of those things which is always going to be subjective as to what is additional content and what is a bug-fix. But as cardtrick said, this has been gone over many times before.

I think that for 90-95% of the changes and additions, there is no question whether it's a bug fix or additional content. The situation could be illustrated thusly:

co8_situation.jpg

With the crosses representing uncertainty, and the origins representing vanilla ToEE + patch 2.

Thrasher

Erudite
I played it the first time with CO8 3.0.4 and it was almost a bugfree experience. Highly recommended!

I also don't remember much new content, as I prefer bug fix only mods.

Murk

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Jasede said:

Yes, but I doubt that I will play it second time.

the game really shines in multiple playthroughs. it's real high point is making different parties and going through the dungeon again and again - as after one romp, the actual game is pointless, but to play different characters is fun

the Co8 pack adds a lot of new feats, spells, items, and gives you an extra 10 levels of advancement

at least download the pack and play the original game with the level cap raised and some of the fixes integrated

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Sitra Achara said:
Mefi said:

I think that for 90-95% of the changes and additions, there is no question whether it's a bug fix or additional content. The situation could be illustrated thusly:

co8_situation.jpg

With the crosses representing uncertainty, and the origins representing vanilla ToEE + patch 2.

Yes, I remember playing with Co8 3 and it was ok, but coming back and trying version 5, I couldn't stand the all the artificial changes that ruined the original feeling of the game. I wonder who decided to add all the crap to the mod and remove the old version? It feels like anyone who could do a shitty modification to the game was in for the latest Co8 mod.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Sitra Achara said:

co8_situation.jpg

To be honest Sitra, until I've had chance to sit down and go through what you've done properly, I'll have to defer judgement. But from what I've seen so far, we do have very different views on what is bugfix and what is additional content. eg some of the stuff Troika tried to implement and couldn't get to work

But that's something for discussion in Co8, not the codex :)

In any case, it's obviously been a lot of hard work for you and ought to be appreciated by those codex regulars who turn up to Co8 grouching about v5 etc.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Sitra Achara said:
Care to elaborate?

It's just odd little things really which struck me in the .dlg and the proto which is all I've had chance to look at so far. Best discussing it fully when I've done a more comprehensive file comparison. We're currently able to do things that Troika tried and couldn't implement properly and cut out at the last minute so I've got to decide for myself whether implementing them really is additional content or not, or bugs which need fixing because they are all over the place in the game and some stuff doesn't make sense without them being activated.

That said, I've offered to discuss it with you already at Co8 but am still waiting for a reply :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom