Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Port Royale- worth six bux?

MisterStone

Arcane
Has anyone played Port Royale 1 or 2? I saw it today for a whopping $6 in a used/bargain bookstore which also has a lot of older games from the past decade or so.

SOme other stuff they had which I have not played:

Master of Orion 2
Sacrifice
Disciples
Some of the patrician games

THey also had a "world of Gothic" box which apparently collects all three Gothics. All of this stuff was $10 or less (some as cheap as $2). Fuck, I need to go back and buy the fuck out of this stuff, catch up on some of this and last decade's gaming.

Multi-headed Cow

Half Price Books is a wonderful store.
World of Gothic is probably good, Port Royale might be worth it (Bought it ages ago on a Steam sale and still haven't played it unfortunately), Master of Orion 2 is great, Sacrifice is great, Disciples might be worth it, Patrician might be worth it.

All of them probably wouldn't be bad for sub-$10 each if you feel like an orgy of spending.

Black Cat

Magister
@ MisterStone

Go back right now and buy Sacrifice, it is one of the greatest games, like, ever. It is made of amazing and cool and stuff. It is made of incredible and beautiful and elegant and original amd surreal and i am in love with that game and want to have its babies. Seriously, it is that great. Every single thing about it is that great.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Port Royal is good. Atleast it kept me interested for many hours. Economy wise it has trade with dynamic prices, you can build up your own business and even get an own city.
There are some random missions you can do for cities, you can participate in wars between countries.

But combat sucks ass. Atleast at start. If you train a bit you can get one of the best ships and then win any fight (although you need to repair a lot).

EDIT: i am speaking of port royal 2.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Patricians were pretty boring, I thought.
Disciples is a poor mans HoMM with some neat ideas and cool gothic art, but always ended up being a very "meh" experience when I tried getting into it. The combat was just.. Boring. And the grindy nature of how you upgrade your troops just busts my balls.
Sacrifice and MoO2 are fucking win, though. You should get them.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Port Royale 2 was very fun, recommended.
Disciples - as mentioned above, poor mans HoMM but I had fun with it anyway, not worth paying much though.

Wulfstand

Prophet
@the World of Gothic part: If i remember correctly, it costs only 10 bucks because, on MANY of its copyes, one of its disks wasn't working, and the collection's installer is made up so it installs all 3 games, thus requireing all the cds to finish the install. There was alot of discussion on the official & fansites regarding this aspect, everyone wanting a refund and all that. Now I'm not sure if it was the World of Gothic pack that had that disk error, but I'm guessing it is. You might want to google the offer, look it up on the popular fansites.

As for the rest: Port Royale I got it for free from some gaming magazine I used to buy some time ago, and I didn't really like it, but if you want to spend those 6 dollars on a trade-sim, you might as well go for it.
Disciples 1 was ok for me, even tho I still prefer Heroes 3 by a longshot, if the game costs only 10 bucks, you can't go wrong with it. It has a pretty nice feeling to it, and a decent background. Don't go for Disciples 2 tho, they fucked up the dwarves real bad in that game.

The rest I haven't played,so I can't give any advice, tho I've heard great things about Sacrifice too, might give it a try after I finish my Iwd playthrough.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm, so if I buy WoG could I remove it from inventory guilt-free?

Hmm, I guess if I really want to playe the older ones (G3 is supposed to be crap) I can shell out $10 to gog.com. Those guys could use some support no doubt...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom