Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Live + Codex Q3 frag session

fastpunk

Arbiter
I installed Quake 3 Arena about a week ago and have been playing a bit since then. Brings back some memories. I really loved Quake 3, which is why I'm kind of excited about Quake Live. For those of you who don't know, Quake Live is a free version of Quake 3 which you can run from your browser. Here's the web page, more of a teaser actually.

http://www.quakelive.com/

You can still sign up for the beta if you're interested I think. No release date yet but it's probably not that far away. Anyone looking forward to this?

Also, as a sidenote, once it's out, we could organize a Codex Quake Live frag session. Or fuck it. Why wait? Maybe a Codex Quake 3 frag session. So yeah, if anyone's interested just say so.

fastpunk

Arbiter
inwoker said:
yes, please

be sure install 1.32 and osp 1.03

We'll make a list of what we need to install, for now let's see who's in. Point release 1.32 is in for sure, so is OSP.

Btw, we need to setup a day and an hour for the frag session. We could do this Friday night, but since Friday night is usually reserved for drinking and going out we can also leave it for Saturday. I'm open to suggestions.

fastpunk

Arbiter
inwoker said:
what server btw?

Dunno. We'll make one. The default Q3 create server options are pretty basic but it'll have to do. It's not going to be a dedicated server but it's the playing part that matters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
We also have to do some crazy Operation Flashpoint stuffed with shitloads of kewl mods fragging at some point.
CTI mode can be so much fun as long as you know what you are doing.

Fez

Erudite
Operation Flashpoint can be a lot of fun. Especially with good custom maps.

The_Pope

Scholar
I'd be up for it if we do an Australian server, but Quake 3 is awful with high pings.

Dagon

Scholar
Soldier of Fortune 2 is also great in deathmatch. Especially with B.A.R.D. mod installed

MetalCraze

Arcane
The_Pope said:
I'd be up for it if we do an Australian server, but Quake 3 is awful with high pings.

I've heard that there is this mod (CPMA or something) and it is based on the opensourced Quake 3 exe - fixes and optimizes net code which results in lesser pings.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
>50 ping = no game
so no Australia;
also, there is rewriten exe for cpma, which fixes some, but it also adds new bugs.

If somebody wants to play but not to install I can try make game available for you through removing nothing from inventory, already unpacked version.

MetalCraze

Arcane
whatever. My ping won't go lower than 140 ms - and that's pretty much the constant ping for any part of the world for me.
I was playing OfP fine with it. Never got killed due to lags.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
dif engines, dif type of game = dif passable ping
for diablo, even 200 is passable, for starcraft 150 is norm too, for quake3 - 50 is already bad, hard to shoot from railgun etc...

MetalCraze

Arcane
I will still give it a try. Besides OfP is a game where even 1 bullet may decide everything - not speaking about that soldiers are actually moving there.

Still we have to play OfP some time (with Capture The Island game mode too - it's like FPS/RTS - one guy builds the base - other guys incl. him then buy guns/tanks/helis, income goes from capturing cities/killing enemy, to win you must destroy enemy base and so on. Even Codex 3v3 would be nice)

Fez

Erudite
If you have an open map with lots of weapons, ammo, targets, vehicles and so on for everyone to play with as they will it can be fun too.

sabishii

Arbiter
I remember the average ping being quite high back in the Q3 days, though. Like 100-200ms ping would be acceptable to me.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I've played some Q3 online lately and a ping of about 70 is OK, but everything above it starts to get in the way. Anyway, I take it people aren't too excited about the Q3 frag session anymore because of this. My offer still stands if anyone is still interested though.

Either way, Quake Live should provide a much better online experience, so when it comes out I'll pull this thread from the dead and see if anyone's up for a frag session.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom