Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quest Design

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I mentioned in another thread that I thought Arcanum had the best quest design in an RPG, but I couldn't quite figure out why.

Basically, most quests felt non-generic, and even the generic ones had a twist. Same with Bloodlines.

What are your thoughts on quest design? What games or quests within games have really struck you as well-done?

Murk

Arcane
Seems like this would belong in RPG Design.. I personally would like an element of randomization in quests that results in it being solved in different ways.

Imagine a basic quest like "solve the murder". You are required to go through 3 simultaneously occurring stages. The clue stage - where you gather and analyze clues, then submit them to the authorities. This would span a multitude of item retrieval, stat checks, skill checks, and be dependent on what relations if any you have with the local populace, or if you had explored the town enough. The witness/suspect phase where you question witnesses and potential suspects for information - obviously stat/skill driven. And the third being the final phase where you must make a case by drawing on what you amanged to find, assemble, and analyze.

the randomness, however, comes into effect in that not all clues, witnesses, suspects, or even "analysis" is possible on every play through. Some of the flags for certain things are just flat out out percentage based as to whether they exist or not. so in one play through your high perception character may notice a smudge on a window that's peculiar, where-as in another play through that smudge does not exist, period and completely regardless of your character's perception.

Something to shake shit up, basically, to not result in subsequent plays of the same game being you going everywhere you need to go in the perfect order and not bothering to actually play/talk/investigate.

I also like the idea of some quests, like in Arcanum, being above the PC and in some way unsolvable.

Fezzik

Cipher
I suppose Fallout/Arcanum/VtM:B quests will come up so I'll pick a couple other games.
-------------------

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Escaping the Pit: Removing yourself from the gladiator pens at the beginning of Dark Sun was very well-done. By plopping the party into an ever-worsening situation with several ways to escape, some involving trusting people who you don't know you can trust, Dark Sun essentially forced the player to explore his options by talking to people and figuring out what to do next. Furthermore, each option came with a trade-off: if you chose to take help from the fellow with "connections," you'd be dealing with an unsavory type who will screw you over; if you try to escape with the king of the pens, you'll have to do it before your party has reached high levels, making the fight to the surface more difficult; and if you try to flat out fight your way out, you better be tough. So essentially the player had choices, the choices come from getting to know his surroundings, and he isn't pushed hard in one direction or another.

Notaku's Errands: The quests Notaku gives you aren't especially interesting in and of themselves, but I loved the way that, if I remember correctly, they tied into events in the world. In particular, I believe you find out that the items you'd been gathering for Notaku were being used by Balkazar, e.g., to make powerful magic items. This just gave the world a feeling of being alive and connected.

Prelude to Darkness:

Detective Quest in the Barrier: My favorite quest overall in Prelude to Darkness is probably this quest. You go to the barrier city to find out that some thugs have disappeared and one has been killed. The murder is thought to have been committed by a rageful foreigner who has been imprisoned. He says he didn't do it, but there is no reason to believe him and none of the other thugs who might have seen things are around.

To figure things out, you have to go to local bars and the like, asking around for anyone who has seen anything or who knows who might've. What I love about the quest is that it is the player's initiative that determines if it is done and how it is done. You can get involved with the quest by the man in prison, which involves arranging a fight between the local police without the game telling you exactly what to do, or by a woman asking you to find a particular man. You can solve it by tracking down the family of one of the thugs and convincing them to give you his location or by uncovering the murder of another of the thugs and getting a mystic to contact his spirit. Everything along the way depends on the player choosing how to proceed and the events and details unfold beautifully and relate to the main quest.
-----------------------

So those are the first ones that come to mind for me. In general I like when solving a quest comes down to the player deciding to do it, when there are little details and unknowns to figure out, and when everything ties into a bigger whole.

Phelot

Arcane
Mikayel said:
I also like the idea of some quests, like in Arcanum, being above the PC and in some way unsolvable.

The siamese twin quest drove me mad. I went on a gnome killing spree after that whole thing.

Murk

Arcane
If a game can make you feel, then it is a good game [/molyneaux]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom