Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quick question regarding retail versions of Telltale games

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Like so many other Kodexers, I'm very reluctant to buy games through Steam, especially since I won't really be buying them. So whenever I can, I buy retail versions of games that do not require Steam to run. I'm willing to wait a year or two to play the game, doesn't bother me.

One company that actually does this is Telltale Games, they has released retail versions of the Sam & Max games and now also for Tales of Monkey Island. The problem is, I have no idea if the recent retail packages are secretly forcing me to use Steam or not. I have Season 1 and 2, and they do not require Steam. But now retail versions are out for Season 3 and Tales of Monkey Island, and I am seriously considering buying them, but I cannot reliably tell if they need Steam to run or not. The packaging for ToMI doesn't mention it, but that's all I have to go on.

So can anyone here enlighten me on this?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As far as I know, the games sold through them do not activate with Steam. It may require you to register with their own server though since it's what it does with their versions sold online.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That helps too, as that eliminates their online shop as a potential source. I bought the first two seasons of S&M through eBay, and I'm looking to do the same with Season 3 and ToMI.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Unkillable Cat said:
That helps too, as that eliminates their online shop as a potential source. I bought the first two seasons of S&M through eBay, and I'm looking to do the same with Season 3 and ToMI.

I have the TOMI DVD, it doesn't use Steam. Works the same way as S&M Seasons 1 and 2, as does S&M Season 3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well that's good news. I'll look into S&M S3 a little closer though before making any purchases.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
By the way, unless you are really craving for adventure games, Tales of Monkey Island is so-so. It has 2 very good episodes (3 & 4) but the others range from ok to mediocre. Still ok overall, and some nice references to the old games too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gragt said:
By the way, unless you are really craving for adventure games, Tales of Monkey Island is so-so. It has 2 very good episodes (3 & 4) but the others range from ok to mediocre. Still ok overall, and some nice references to the old games too.

Agreed. If you find it on sale, I'd consider it worth it.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Gragt said:

Pretty much, but if you're a Monkey Island fanboy it's like meeting old friends again, yeah.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They may or may not contain SecuRom -- I believe I heard they do but I never bothered to check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom