Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Races in Heroes 5

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I read in an IGN preview from E3 that HOMM 5 will feature 6 races, and one will be completely new. We know from the screenshots that 2 of them are the humans and inferno. So that leaves 3 left. Which will it be? What is the best combination. I'm guessing that the barbarians definately have a spot (after all, the game is called Heroes of might and magic, plus they have been there since HOMM 1). Dungeon is also in I think, the black dragon is an emblem for the series. So that leaves one more spot... Tower? Necropolis? Rampart? (I'm using the Heroes 3 names) My favourite races were Necropolis and Tower, I would hate to lose either one.

The Necromancer / Necropolis has been one of the most popular town choices since it appeared in the HOMM2 Expansion. It better as hell be in.

The Wizard / Dungeon (ie, the town that makes Black Dragons) is a staple of the series and needs to be in. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if they consolidated the Dungeon and the Tower from HOMM3 and made it more like the HOMM 2 Wizard.

The Rampart was boring as fuck in HOMM3, as was the god-awful Fortress. I hope they're gone. Of course, Phoenixes and Hydra have been with the series awhile...

I personally dislike the Barbarians and have always found them to be one of the weaker choices. I hope they're overhauled or just plain left out.

Anyway, only six races? What the hell? Six is too few!!

Balor

Arcane
Too much "Evolution" before the night is bad for your mental health, obediah :)
Anyway, Necropolis WILL be in. Cause the queen will strike a bargain with undead... and where would undead live, if not in Necropolis? :)
About "Six is too few!"... well, I'm sure there would be expansions. I'd like more, of course, but having in mind that creatures, towns and spells are insanely detailed now, making more 'sides' is harder.
Anyway, in a argument about 'quality vs quanity' I choose quality.

Balor said:
About "Six is too few!"... well, I'm sure there would be expansions. I'd like more, of course, but having in mind that creatures, towns and spells are insanely detailed now, making more 'sides' is harder.
Anyway, in a argument about 'quality vs quanity' I choose quality.
...and in the argument of gameplay over graphics, I choose gameplay.

It would suck ass if the only reason we can't have more towns is because every one has to be OMG SO PURTY.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The humans/knight town is in alright, as are the devils - the screenshots are evident. I think that the remaining towns should be the Necromancer and Wizard (dungeon + tower). I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what the other two are but I couldn't care less about the Barbarians, even though they are a staple of the series. The knight town has always been more 'might' than any silly barbarian, because people tend to equate the whole idea of knights and honor with might, and wizards with magic. After all, HOMM2 was all about knights, and the screenshots of HOMM5 show a knight everywhere.

For the new town, I hope they go with something unique like an engineer town, packed with steam engines, golems and arquebusiers. Heh, didn't one of the earlier games have that too?

Balor

Arcane
Good guess, Ex... hmm, Sol.
And I'm pretty sure that will be this way... and the fith 'known' race would be Dungeon. Cause Black Dragons are badass :).
Oh, BTW, you messed Necropolis with Dungeon :).
Necropolist is where undead dwell.
Dungeon is a haven of Medusae, Minotaurs and, of course, Black Dragons :).

Sol Invictus said:
For the new town, I hope they go with something unique like an engineer town, packed with steam engines, golems and arquebusiers. Heh, didn't one of the earlier games have that too?
No. However, in making the expansion to HOMM3, New World Computing released screenshots displaying a Steampunk-esuqe town like you describe.

The fans went apeshit, screaming NWC was raping the series, planning boycotts, all this bullshit. So NWC balked and made the Conflux instead.

I personally would love to see a Steampunk town.

I did some research back into HOMM2, and realized the Wizard and the Warlock (Tower and Dungeon) have been split for awhile now. Of course, the Barbarians have always been a town, but I doubt they'll be in this round... who knows.

I'd venture a guess and bet the towns will be closer to HOMM2:

1.) Knight (Castle)
2.) Necromancer (Necropolis)
3.) Warlock (Dungeon)
4.) Wizard (Tower)

then one from HOMM3,

5.) Inferno

...then the one new one, which I bet will be a new take on the 'Might' town or a new take on the 'Nature' town.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Personally I hate those nature fucks. Except for the elven archers, they mostly sucked, especially those stupid halflings.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, they had some decent units like the war unicorns you mentioned and the elite elven snipers, but I don't like their 'setting' at all. I'd prefer to see knights and demons duke it out without some tinkerbell throwing pixie dust at a bunch of halflings.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I never cared much for Barbarians either, but in HOMM3, the Stronghold town was pretty... strong. And in HOMM 4 they made it even stronger. What I liked in HOMM4 was that they balanced the skills better, it was possible to make a really strong hero that didn't need magic at all (one example, they made Scouting a lot usefull than it was in HOMM3).
I also found Rampart extremely boring, they weren't weak, but I never really enjoyed playing with them.
Fortress was weak but interesting at the same time. It was a challenge. Its strong points: gorgons (soooo good), making wyverns in the first few days (this really helps in quick multiplayer games) and walking on swamp with no penalties (swamp had 75% penalty to move points for every other race). I would like to see Fortress return in an expansion to HOMM 5, perhaps.
But for now, I really really want Necropolis and Tower in (I love Titans and I fucking love Vampires).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom