Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebelstar: Tactical Command - DAMNED GOOD FUN

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I had played this earlier in the year (Using a ROM and an emulator on my PC, but it had a major meltdown and I lost it), and I must've mentioned it to my friend or parents for lo and behold, I got it (and a Gameboy SP) for Xmas. Because we traveled around so much on Xmas, I had a lot of time to play it while trapped in the Car from Hell, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it rocks ass. The group of talented folks who made it also worked on X-Com and Laser Squad, so you already know it's gonna be good but jeez, I didn't expect it to be this awesome. It's X-Com for the GB but without the base management. This isn't any retarded Final Fantasy Tactics shit, this is honest to goodness fun turn-based combat. Battles take into account line of sight and morale (If you're getting horribly beat by the enemy, you characters' stats will start to detoriate) and even have terrain deformation. Guns have different rates of fire, oh my god I could go on forever but trust me, this game is great. Check it out as soon as you can.

Quigs

Magister
Any Semi-RTS style like Apoc? TB was just so damn slow in the huge 6 full squad battles, or anything to do with ufo's.

Also, how many folks can you have on a map at one time?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Nope, mang, it's fully turn-based. The only downside I see is that the tutorial missions are slow and boring as fuck and YOU HAVE TO DO THEM. No skipping them. But if you can manage to do it, it's totally worth it.

What do you mean by how many folks? Like, people in your squad or units on the entire map? WHAT?

Jason

chasing a bee
Rebelstar has the appeal of Advance Wars & Tactics Ogre in that it involves murdering other living beings in the cutest way possible, something very dear to my heart.

Quigs

Magister
Units that you can possibly control during one battle sequence.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It depends, I think. The game isn't open like X-com is with it's geoscape, but rather just scenarioes linked together by a storyline. Sometimes it's just you and other times you get a bunch of people. In the skirmish mode, though, you can have to up 4 people, IIRC.

Quigs

Magister
all 4??? Oh teh strategi!

Can you at least equip as you see fit? Or is "James" the leader, and "kelly" the medic?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Yes, you can equip them with all sorts of weaponries. The only thing scripted and linear is just the storyline. Everything else, character advancement, combat et cetera is completely open and awesome.

LlamaGod

Cipher
It's okay.

The original X-Com still kicks its ass to the curb, though.

chaedwards

Liturgist
The original rebelstar and rebelstar 2 were made for the ZX Spectrum and other 8-bit computers back in the day, and were pretty fantastic. As was the original laser squad of course. Rebelstar 1 is particularly good - I'm tempted to download an emulator now just to play it again...

Edit: Oh, and Chaos of course, which is genius. Particularly the time I managed to cast a non-illusory green dragon. There's a remake at http://www.reflectedgames.com/free.html

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Laser Squad Nemesis is pretty fun, at least in multiplayer. In singleplayer it just becomes a guessing-game of "turn around that corner and hope you have 'auto-fire at enemy' on!"

Jason

chasing a bee
LSN is one of those many games that I bought and just never got around to installing. It was only $10. Got to play it sometime.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I played Rebelstar Tactical Command a little yesterday. I was pretty good at it and got pretty far in it before, but playing it over, it seems pretty shitty.

You hit more often with the burst shots then you do an aimed shot D:

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I hated LSN's visual style. The game might have been fun and all, but the art style was all ARRRGRRGH.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It wasn't the graphics themselves that bothered me, but rather the unit size and design. Some were hard to click on and building graphics could obscure certain points forcing you to do some ugly manuevers to get around.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Laser Squad Nemesis sucked, all the strategy was in guessing. Guessing where your enemy is, what he's going to do next, etc.

There wasnt any strategy beyond sending your dudes to a spot on a guess.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Laser Squad Nemesis was easy as shit, due to the "attack enemy on sight" button. You could send your guy in the most random pattern ever, but as long as you sighted an enemy you'd win the fucking thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom