Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reflection of a Fallen Feather - free indie JRPG inspired by Final Fantasy Legend

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't played it myself (yet), but there's apparently a new indie JRPG out that has Metroidvania-like exploration and FFL-like character progression. It's called Reflection of a Fallen Feather and it's a pay-what-you-want PC game which you can even nab for free if you want:

http://www.forepawsoft.com/p/reflection-download.html

• become the enemy—50 playable character types
  • full character customization—150 unique character abilities
  • hidden loot—dozens of unique accessories and tools
  • interactive open-world environment
  • fast-paced battle system—identify and exploit enemy weaknesses
IndieRPGs has some impressions:

Despite its jRPG trappings, Reflection of a Fallen Feather is much more of a dungeon crawler than I first expected. It’s all about navigating mazes, figuring out environmental puzzles in order to proceed, and going through frequent turn-based combat and character progression.

As I expected, character progression is the most engaging part of the game (at least from what I played). While it does remind me quite a lot of Final Fantasy Legend, it definitely has its own thing going on. I like that you meld traits of whatever monster you absorb upon level-up into your character; being able to retain two skills of your choice from your prior form is a nice touch that both gives me some extra flexibility in my character’s development and poses some tough choices.

I also like that you have some control over which monster you’re going to absorb next, in that you can choose whom to fight right before you hit 7 BP; that is not a luxury the player ever had in the Final Fantasy Legend series.

The battles RoaFF are well-balanced and tense. I still don’t know what makes certain skills available at some times and not available at others, though I’m starting to suspect that there must be some sort of invisible cool-down mechanic happening there. One way or another, the fact that you can only rely on your more potent skills inconsistently makes your choices concerning when to use them much more consequential.

Exploration is decent enough, with switches, hidden passages, and Metroidvania-style temporarily impassable sections. Even when I was totally lost, it was still fairly satisfying.

The only thing I’m not too enamored of just yet is the story. The intro is a giant text dump, and there isn’t much in the way of plot or character development at the start of the game. The setting is pretty good, with its surreal (and somewhat horrifying) depiction of the afterlife, but the game doesn’t do much with it at the start. That said, I only played for 40 minutes, so maybe this part the story picks up later on.​

http://indierpgs.com/2014/02/indierpgs-com-checks-out-reflection-of-a-fallen-feather/

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Those battles over the explorarion map look kind of weird... as he wanted to do it like Chrono Trigger, but didn't have the resources.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ah, specifically inspired by the monster class from saga. sounds interesting.

Murk

Arcane
Might try; I do like me saga games (3-5, anyway; and tried to like the legend games but... game boy)

Murk

Arcane
Those were 'FF legend', no? I meant Romancing Saga 3, Saga Frontier 1 and 2. They're spiritual sequels, sure, but... ya know.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
well, not only spiritual but actual sequels, even if they started the whole scenario thing that wasn't in the first 3. either way, this looks to be more inspired by monster class from saga 1-3 which i never used because it fucking sucked but it could eat meat dropped by enemies and would evolve stats/abilities based on that.

Murk

Arcane
A monster was a common one I used in the Saga Frontier 1; it was my all purpose "use skills to quick kill groups" so I could preserve jp/wp for more important fights. Plus they changed enough that it had a somewhat dynamic element that otherwise would suck if everyone was just spamming life-sprinkler or DSC.

I usually went 2 swords, 1 fighter, 1 mage, and 1 monster; scenario permitting.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
the problem i had with them is that it was the age before plenty of internet guides and with my luck they consistently grew shittier rather than better whereas mutants and humans just got more and more powerful.

Murk

Arcane
Point; didn't web-guide my first few times but there is definitely a lot of hidden info.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Final Fantasy Legend 2-3 (a.k.a Saga 2-3) actually has DS remakes that are fully fantranslated if Gameboy games are too primitive for you.

Murk

Arcane
Checked out some gameplay videos... donno. DS 3d games are p bad to look at and I think I'm well past the point that I'd care. But, something on the back burner I guess. Thanks for the tip.

Inspired by FF Legend? I'm intrigued. Liked the look of that trailer. Just seeing an enemy monster cast Resurrect 2 on a dead ally gives me some confidence in its encounter design.

Now you've got me wondering how Final Fantasy Legend holds up these days. I've been on very much a retro kick, maybe I'll give it another spin...

Final Fantasy Legend 2-3 (a.k.a Saga 2-3) actually has DS remakes that are fully fantranslated if Gameboy games are too primitive for you.
Why do these things never see the light outside of Japan? :rpgcodex:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Why do these things never see the light outside of Japan? :rpgcodex:
SaGa actually had a pretty good record of making it out of Japan past the SNES era.

The big problem is when FF13 and the first version of FF14 showed up, which were such financial blackholes that the company started cost cutting by not localizing their more niche games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom