Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of Legends Third Race

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Okay, so we've got the technological Vinci, which are the middling race in terms of power, and the most easy to relate to civ.
Then we've got the Alim, which are devoted to cheap units and swarms.
And then we've got the "oh they're so stuper cool and imaginative" space aliens, the <s>Protoss</s> Cuotl, who are based around having few very powerful units with lots of destructive special powers.

Hmm, where have I seen this trichotomy before? These people are so creative. I remember jokes about Starcraft being Warcraft 2 in space. This game going to be renaissance Starcraft with national boundaries?

There seems to be a lot of borrowing from other games. The gamespy thingy mentions how lightning towers work, and if I'm not mistaken it's taken from how Red Alert tesla towers/prism towers work.

Levski 1912

Scholar
About the only decent RTS's being made nowadays come from Relic. Dawn of War was better than the average C&C clone set in fantasy/space/god's anus, and Company of Heroes looks interesting as well.

Oh and about the Protoss...if you've ever played against Koreans, it's not *very few* it's *HTF he get so many?* very powerful units.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It's because Protoss have a time advantage. Their units are a little bit better than 2x of their counterparts, but they take the same time to build. They require less infrastructure, and so are more efficient.

Levski 1912

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
It's because Protoss have a time advantage. Their units are a little bit better than 2x of their counterparts, but they take the same time to build. They require less infrastructure, and so are more efficient.
Most Koreans just turtle until they can unleash 3-4 full groups of upgraded Carriers. I've almost *never* seen any Asian rush.

Kortalh

Liturgist
More on the subject, I'm not entirely opposed to the StarCraft similarities. Granted, I'd rather see originality in a game than an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. However, I prefer "don't fix it" over "put a spoiler on my '86 Ford Taurus". :wink:

Balor

Arcane
Levski 1912 said:
kingcomrade said:
Most Koreans just turtle until they can unleash 3-4 full groups of upgraded Carriers. I've almost *never* seen any Asian rush.
Well, I think it's good enough tactics.
Carriers are 'TEH SHIT!". Give them a group or two Corsairs - and they are nigh undefeatable.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Not good enough tactics if you're playing an aggressive player (like me). I'm not incredibly good at Starcraft, but I could almost always beat the turtlers within 15 minutes (game time, I don't know what that translates to after running at Faster or Fastest).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom