Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG with the best monster raising mechanics?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
What RPG do you consider to have the best monster capturing and raising mechanics? I did a search looking for threads on the new Pokemon games and not much turned up. But threads for Cassette beasts, Pal world and Digimon games popped up. Such a popular genre has so many games ripping off pokemon (nexomon) and Digimon (Anode heart) but they're always flawed mechanically or written by a fedora wearing edge lord. So what games have the best monster raising systems, where it is a primary mechanic and not some dumb side quest mini game attached to an unrelated main quest.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Digimon 1 for PSX. Fun game, great (and obscure) mechanics, practically no story whatsoever. Also, move this to JRPG, I doubt there’s a non JRPG answer.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Digimon 1 for PSX. Fun game, great (and obscure) mechanics, practically no story whatsoever. Also, move this to JRPG, I doubt there’s a non JRPG answer.
Nexomon, Monster sanctuary, ARK Survival evolved, Monster Crown, Coromon. The West isn't shy on monster capturing/raising and it would be a shame to miss out on good Western games by pigeon holeing it into the weeb section.

Anode Heart is supposed to be digimon world 1 like. I haven't tried it myself.

Zlaja

Arcane
I don't really know, but it was kinda fun raising your own pet fighter in Dungeon Siege 2. Its diet? Any spare items you find. The more valuable the more exp they get, which helps them grow. To get them you have to buy them from shops as babies.

KDcross

Novice
Dragon Quest Monsters series is pretty fun. You fuse higher level monsters together to create stronger ones starting at level 1. A fraction of stats/skill points are inherited so you need to pay attention to what you're investing in over several generations to get strong monsters. A little grindy for my taste but much more enjoyable than pokemon.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This belongs in the Japaneseru/furfaggotry section. Actual RPG's don't have "monster raising mechanics".

The only thing you should be raising is dem stats.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I don't really know, but it was kinda fun raising your own pet fighter in Dungeon Siege 2. Its diet? Any spare items you find. The more valuable the more exp they get, which helps them grow. To get them you have to buy them from shops as babies.
Baby shopping sounds fun. Do the shit ones get thrown in the well?
Dragon Quest Monsters series is pretty fun. You fuse higher level monsters together to create stronger ones starting at level 1. A fraction of stats/skill points are inherited so you need to pay attention to what you're investing in over several generations to get strong monsters. A little grindy for my taste but much more enjoyable than pokemon.
How is the series after the DS? I tried the DS one but it was severely limited by being a 3D DS game and how small their worlds tend to be.
This belongs in the Japaneseru/furfaggotry section. Actual RPG's don't have "monster raising mechanics".

Laughs in roller beetle while playing Guild wars.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Why is monster raising a jRPG thing only?
Discuss.
I would say Western games lean more into cards over monsters for their collecting autism but a lot of RPGs have animal companions. Rangers have lots of options for pets, Druids obviously do too. I don't think Japan has the amount of Pokemon clones as the west does these days.

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne.
Shin Megami Tensei Raidou 1 + 2.
Not sure I'd call them the best but I enjoyed SMT3

Iucounu

Educated
ARK Survival evolved
That's the only one I know of:

- Loot an egg and incubate it.

- Tame adult dinos by shooting them with narcotic arrows/darts, and then feed them for a certain time (capturing them in a trap first helps).

- Allow tamed adults to reproduce (not sure if it needs to be a male and female in this day and age).

- Hyenas are apparently tamed by sneaking up on them and petting them, without being attacked by the whole pack.

- ARK: Survival Ascended seems to spawn juvenile dinos, then you can simply kill any parents and kidnap the offspring.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

But, but... In some of those games you raise the raised monster stats. Checkmate. :smug:
But it's not the only thing. Tamagotchi simulators are not RPGs.

Check urmoms mate.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Dungeon Siege 2 and Pathfinder games are both OK when it comes to that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom