Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Runesword 2 / Runesword open source

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Pretty typical D&D 'heartbreaker' ruleset if I recall correctly. I also recall the editor was kind of a pain in the arse to use but it's been a few years so I may be misremembering. I definitely wasn't impressed though.

EDIT: recall recall recall recall

mondblut

Arcane
I played the default module. Was moderately fun, although the HOMM-like combat wasn't impressive.

pernyblom

Novice
The engine will probably be open source if I manage to make it general enough. It is actually working quite well right now and the game SpringWorld Challenge (http://www.springworldchallenge.com) was made with a very early version of it.

There is also an editor (http://www.springworldchallenge.com/swc_editor.zip) that features weapons and bots but it is not that user friendly.

The node system I am building is an attempt to improve the graphics, sound and music and my own skills in these areas + procedural content generation. I don't know if and how I am going to release the node system though.

Andhaira

Arcane
I played Runesword when it first came out. It was pretty fun, and I had a blast. What killed the experiance for me though, were the gamebreaking bugs.

SkeleTony

Augur
I did some graphics for the newest Runesword(handful of skill picture/icons IIRC). It is in some ways very impressive(especially being a 'game creator' programmed in VB 6) as you can almost totally change the entire game system mechanics, create your own world settings(the game comes with like a half dozen game worlds as it is...everything from Middle Earth to Glorantha to a superhero world) adn so forth.

The drawbacks are that the default system is completely fucking crappy. it is only like D&D in that it features a stupid, nonsensical and cumbersome magic system(maybe WORSE than the 'fire and forget' crap) and very dumbed down mechanics aside from that magic system.
The default system(for the default game world of "Eternia" but also used for ALl teh packaged worlds that come with it) is more like a set of board game rules, ala HeroQuest or some such, than a RPG.

So if you really wanted to make...for example a REAL version of Glorantha/RuneQuest(or whatever floats your boat) then you are looking at a shit ton of fucking work(creating/replacing/adding attributes and how they function in game, a new magic system, better skill systems etc.).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom