Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rustler - medieval GTA 2

kreight

It's on.

Last edited by a moderator:

User was nabbed fit

Steam forum review:

Played before release.
So. I've already 10 hours in this game, despite release is in next 5-6 hours.
YES, I received access to the Early Access version before it's released, not just for the demo.

Pros:

- It's very funny and dialogs or relations between characters are very cool. I spat the coffee many times laughing. You can see that the level of the parody is on a higher level and this makes the gamer soul happy.

- Music in city, outside of it, fun with musicans is great. All music tracks lightly mix beatbox, rock, GTA atmosphere and medieval music. If there was a soundtrack to buy separately, I might have bought it.

- The game has a large number of frames at 2560x1440, does not cut or tear, runs smoothly and quite nicely. Only the sounds, unfortunately, are too interrupted, sudden, have distortions. It is very pleasant to play on the controller if we make it possible with BigPicture mode.

Cons:

- One of the most stupid AI in gaming history, the police teleport nearby, it is almost impossible to lose it, sometimes it does not react to the fact that we steal a horse, and when we throw a policeman off the horse, policeman stops chasing us despite the total highest chase level

- Crashing simulator, I was launching the game again and again ~200 times, it's working on Unity and it loves to crash during cutscenes or loading screens

- Authors of the game did not played their own game, there are horrendous amounts of bugs, for example you have to stick close to two police horses but one of them is making weird moves or stuck on a tree. Mission failed. And there are 1000000000000 situations like that.

---

In conclusion sadly this isn't good game. Laughter is one-off, and the parody is not amusing for hours, only for a while. The game has a horrendous number of bugs and not-thinked mechanics, lack of mechanics, and not very fair authors who avoid clear answers and taking care of their community.
They woke up on launch day, people have been asking for a price since months, they are adding a FAQ without price information... WTF lads?! The problem with this game is about it future. The plot is clearly made by force, without an idea or vision, without any connections between locations, NPCs, characters. After 10 hours of playtime, I actually played maybe 5, the rest was repeating the missions few times - because either the game crashed, or there were game breaking bugs that forced me to replay the missions. Like these police-horses getting stuck on everything when I have to be near them.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking about first negative review, but maybe I will try to force myself to play it longer.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
this is sweet, having lots of fun. Managed to clear arena fights, for me halbert one was hardest

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
looks like author is rly big on monty python and pratchett. There are many quotes to be had from other places, like pst.

Game plays more or less fine, main issues are around horses
- mounting takes forever, sometimes your character will run in circles
- auto aiming on road is clunky and appears to trigger only when you dont want it to
- its easy to push your horse, only yours though. Extremely annoying during races
- from time to time quest npc will not mount on your horse, it appears that only way to fix it is to start quest over

due to how weird rewards are, exploration isnt really rewarding. Still a lot of care was taken in world creation

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
close to 100% run(as in not trying to get every note or horseshoe) took about 9h. And I had fun with it during that time.

looks like 4.7% already finished the game. 1.7% had some fun with max police rating for over 5min

now game is... empty. Fighting with police is fun when doing quests, in vacuum not so much. In gta2 you could collect money while going on killing spree, also could eventually hit military. In rustler things never get deadly heated, just annoying since getting on horse to outrun enemies is clunky. Whats more even if you try to hide in a woods enemies seem to pinpoint you. You wont collect a fortune while going on killing spree, matters little since you will be swimming in money anyway.
There are also no rampages, even though perfect opportunity is already implemented - halucinogenic plants found in the woods. Apart from visual effects they do nothing.

Some tips:
- get horse calling upgrade asap. You will be often randomly dropped in the middle of nowhere and walking is painfully slow
- picking objects while horseback saves some annoyance
- bards dont just play music for you, if you fight a lot they will keep dropping booze(regain some life)
- you can dodge while being stunned. You can dodge with 0 stamina. You seem invulnerable while dodging.
- crossbow seem good early on but you wont be using it much. Id say its important to learn well s&b and spear.

A horse of course

Hate the art style - specifically that postprocessing filter that smothers everything in a blue/orange tint.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
it just hit me what rustler is missing: gangs.

gta2 was fun mainly due to their presence

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom