Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sam Suede Kickstarter (+Internetz drama)

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It looks like a silly little action/adventure game that Al Lowe and others started to put together years ago. There's a bunch of drama already that Al might not have anything to do with the current development and the company is making it look like he's heading it up. Of course, Paul Trowe is involved with the controversy so it might be nothing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787675232/sam-suedetm-in-undercover-exposure

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hmm, interesting.
Meanwhile Al Lowe continues to post jokes on his twitter, like a boss. :obviously:

trustno1code

Prophet
So to sum up the drama so far (because there's nothing more to this really):

Leisure Suit Larry creator wants “infringing” Kickstarter campaign taken down.

Al's silent, but Trowe's blabbering:
Al is PISSED!!!!!!

And fresh comments from Wisecrack:

Wisecrack Games said:
From Everyone at Wisecrack Games to the Kickstarter Community:
For those of you that have been questioning and speculating about the news today, Wisecrack Games does have a current agreement with Al Lowe for this Sam Suede Kickstarter campaign and has received approval from him for our launch, including our representations of this project. Anything stated to the contrary is patently false.
In addition, any claim of copyright infringement is entirely baseless. If you want to investigate on your own, you can check with the U.S. Patent and Trademark and U.S. Copyright Offices online to see who is the true holder of any trademarks or copyrights.
Kickstarter is fostering a community of developers and gamers who collaborate and support each other to create content that the fans want, and everyone at Wisecrack Games is overjoyed to be part of this community! The real question is, Kickstarter fans, why would anyone try to derail this project after a decade of considerable investment in this property by honest, hard-working people?

Wisecrack Games said:
To further clarify for the Kickstarter community:
iBase Entertainment was formed when Ken Wegrzyn brought Al Lowe out of retirement. As equal partners of iBase Entertainment, they designed Sam Suede together. Al and Ken’s studio spent years on preproduction, engine development, and prototyping for Sam Suede for PC/Xbox, as well as converting for Xbox360, per Microsoft’s request, thus tripling their budget. This extensive work resulted in early gameplay prototypes and a detailed Game Design Document. Together, Al and Ken created an absolutely brilliant game design that has humorous gameplay that has yet to be seen. The game design is extensive enough to create several games if we choose to do so, as it is stipulated in our current contract with Al Lowe.
Ken has attempted to stay with property over the past six years, even during an announcement in 2010 that did not include Al, which Ken did not move forward with. Ken recently formed his new company, Wisecrack Games, based on a new agreement with Al Lowe. Furthermore, Wisecrack’s agreement with Al pre-dates the Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter announcement. When Wisecrack subsequently learned of the Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter from Al, Wisecrack agreed to delay the Sam Suede Kickstarter to allow Leisure Suit Larry to go first.
Al and Ken both agreed to the opening title and the statements made, since this is their design that is being Kickstarted to raise funds for completion. As we agreed with Al, we are staying true to the original design as we move into production, as it should be anyhow for a properly managed development project. We have made the public statement that Al is working on Leisure Suit Larry, since his design work on Sam Suede is complete, and we are ready to start production immediately.
Finally, this Sam Suede project is based on a relationship between Al Lowe and Wisecrack Games and has nothing to do with Replay Games.

I'll gladly save ma' money for once (and by that I mean throw it the Andromeda way : povertycreepingin : )

Kz3r0

Arcane
Bof, probably it will be canceled, 500K$, lol, all that money is making people dumb.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I just hope Trowe isn't completely retarded and won't get sued back and lose all the money for the Larry remake.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Bof, probably it will be canceled, 500K$, lol, all that money is making people dumb.

Pretty much. All the current adventure kickstarters are struggling to reach the end goals, this one is nearly guaranteed to fail. Specially with this controversy.

People are losing common sense with the kickstarter craze. Jumping into it with no planning and acting as if this will burn down soon.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Lowe has spoken:

by Al Lowe

I want to clarify with the media, the public, and the Kickstarter community what’s been in the press lately about my relationship with Wisecrack Games. I have no intention of suing Wisecrack, which has my permission to use my name and likeness regarding my involvement with Sam Suede.

While I am proud of the work I did on Sam Suede back in 2006, when I left the project the game’s design was nearly complete but the text, where the humor lies, was barely started. I not involved in any way with Wisecrack’s current production of Sam Suede.

I am currently actively involved with Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Reloaded. I also am not personally involved in any legal action against Wisecrack and wish them well implementing my game design without me.
http://www.replaygamesinc.com/blog/2012/05/al-lowe-and-sam-suede/

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, basically they were intentionally misleading to give the impression that Al Lowe is still involved. Fuck them.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
If Al Lowe really designed the game and they are following up on these... and if he really signed off his name and credit to the project...maybe he is the one being the douche? I think his fuzz totally sabotaged the project.

Morkar Left

Pledge $10,000 or more

0 Backers • Limited Reward (2 of 2 remaining)
AL LOWE EDITION: Exclusive Dinner and a Show hosted by Al Lowe & Ken Wegrzyn: You’ll attend a jazz performance to see Al Lowe perform and play saxophone with his local jazz band MOJO and then whisked away to dinner with Al and Ken. Includes the $250 tier reward. (Travel to Seattle not included.)

I wonder how they will manage this if he is in no way involved in the project and it doesn't sound like they are best friends or something, either. I'm really wondering what's up there. I suppose they absolutely have the rights but they widely overstretched the "Al Lowe"-card. In other words they were not very polite and they wanted intentionally to let it look more than there actually is.

Kz3r0

Arcane
All right, I will put this in the brown, canceled in three days I say.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah it feels weird to have a tier like that when Lowe has distanced himself from the project.

Pledge $10,000 or more
0 Backer, Limited Reward (3 of 3 remaining)
AL LOWE MEET AND GREET SPECIAL: 3 hookers will show up at a motel room of your choosing, with drugs and champagne. Must be 18 or older. Does not include Al Lowe.​

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It's an obvious bait and switch. They throw out Al Lowe's name everywhere. He has top billing under who's making the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sam Suede is kinda cute. That is about all I have to add about this game. :M

Glad Mr. Lowe cleared up his position/info in this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom