Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Selaco - A Doom engine FPS inspired by FEAR and the classics - coming to Early Access in May

orcinator

Liturgist
Personally I prefer seeing girls become corrupted over seeing them become stronker wyminl.

Feminism and girl power IS the corruption of women; of femininity.
Yeah but it's the boring type of corruption where women make fake rape accusations for princess points and not the cool corruption where they rape.
Have we scared the dev off yet?

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer

Curratum

Legitimate, on-topic question, though...

Is this going to be a commercial product, ala Hedon? I didn't find any info on this anywhere.

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer

Is this going to be a commercial product, ala Hedon? I didn't find any info on this anywhere.

It will be. But I guarantee you it will not feel like a Doom mod, just like how Ion Fury doesn't feel like a Duke Nukem mod. Many back-end changes to the engine are present in Selaco and a good chunk of money is spend on its visual and audio design. A free demo that releases sometime in the future will hopefully convince you of that!

Hedon is really good, by the way! Despite feeling a bit like a Doom mod.

Curratum

It will be. But I guarantee you it will not feel like a Doom mod, just like how Ion Fury doesn't feel like a Duke Nukem mod. Many back-end changes to the engine are present in Selaco and a good chunk of money is spend on its visual and audio design. A free demo that releases sometime in the future will hopefully convince you of that!

I was not asking this in an ironic, baity way to follow through with "haha, why would I pay for a mod", was genuinely curious how it's releasing.

Just don't shoot yourself in the foot with the pricing like a certain recently launched retro-inspired shooter that involved a certain popular Doom mapper. Best of luck and looking forward to the demo / purchase!

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer

I was not asking this in an ironic, baity way to follow through with "haha, why would I pay for a mod", was genuinely curious how it's releasing.

Just don't shoot yourself in the foot with the pricing like a certain recently launched retro-inspired shooter that involved a certain popular Doom mapper. Best of luck and looking forward to the demo / purchase!

I know which one you mean, but no. We don't have a price in mind yet but $20 or more is absolutely not happening, you have my word.

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this game.

deama

Prophet
I don't like how a woman was used in this game, I also hate how the developer responded to it: "we kinda wrote the character before and then later did some auditions and the female auditioner sounded the best so we picked her...".
Ok, first of, you're making a shooter here, unless you're going for a resident evil vibe, it won't work, you're making a fast paced shooter where a female simply does not belong, or at best, would act in a very different way to what has been shown.
I'll address some points here:
First of, the female actress is completely wrong, she sounds way too cutesy, an actual female soldier type would basically be a man with tits, because guess what? High testosterone is a requirement, not a choice.

Ok ok, let's say you picked female because there aren't enough shooters with females and you don't really care...
ok, to that I say fuck you; you see, if you want to make a good game, you can't just ignore these things, you have to address every single aspect of the game so that everything combines and forms a whole, you can't just have a female protagonist and not actually use her properly!

Why didn't you just simply get more creative? If you wanted a standard action fps game, just put a godamn male character so the game becomes more coherent. If you put in a female character use her as a female! I'm not saying to make a godamn hentai here, but get more creative with the mechanics instead of just doing a poor reskin!
What if instead, the female protag was too scared or timid to use guns, so instead she uses shields to shield herself and then charms the male characters to do the shooting for her? You could have a type of pseudo leveling system where she can charm 1 guy in the beginning but later 12 guys. Maybe instead of them following her, they kinda act as actual extensions of her, like moving in unison with her, and fire when the player presses left mouse button? That would be cool and would, you know, actually fucking play well with what the game is going for with the character? AND, get this, AND it would be creative, a new mechanic that hasn't been used before AT ALL!

Or just ditch the whole timid female character and make her some sort of demon thing with psychological powers, idk, get creative, geese.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex just wants her to be like Shelly from Ion Maiden and not the "ayo you go girl!" *picks up ammo* "machine gun goes brrrrrrrrrr LOL" "yeah, high five sis!" of Youngblood...

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer
Codex just wants her to be like Shelly from Ion Maiden and not the "ayo you go girl!" *picks up ammo* "machine gun goes brrrrrrrrrr LOL" "yeah, high five sis!" of Youngblood...

Think they will be disappointed when I say that Dawn shuts the fuck up during combat?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course there is always the danger of going the other way around... for example, i somehow finished the entirety of Unreal 1 without realizing i'm playing as a female character to the point where when i played the expansion which actually has some voice acting between levels i thought what i was listening to was some nerdy guy that pretends to be tough instead of a woman :-P.

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer
Of course there is always the danger of going the other way around... for example, i somehow finished the entirety of Unreal 1 without realizing i'm playing as a female character to the point where when i played the expansion which actually has some voice acting between levels i thought what i was listening to was some nerdy guy that pretends to be tough instead of a woman :-P.

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the voice acting part. The quality was hideous, like some dude just busted out his good ol' Ali-Express microphone and just went with it. Big yikes.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the voice acting part. The quality was hideous, like some dude just busted out his good ol' Ali-Express microphone and just went with it. Big yikes.
And all for the most pointless recaps ever.

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer
zLjrphf.png

Have some artwork of Dawn so you people can bitch about something again!

EDIT: I DID NOT KNOW IT WOULD BE THIS BIG.

EDIT2: Cut the resolution in half. Phew.

Dayyālu

Arcane
i somehow finished the entirety of Unreal 1 without realizing i'm playing as a female character

Wait a sec

You play as a woman in Unreal

Well, you're not alone with the brainfog

There is a 5-page codex topic about an upcoming thing that has shown 20 seconds of gameplay, but we don't have a separate topic for Ashes 2063 / Ashes Afterglow?

It's discussed in the Doom mod thread somewhat extensively. Also what else you can say bar "it's awesome"?

How could you made her a redhead! Don't you know about the planned genocide of red-headed women by the Shadow New Order World Government?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom