Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shattered Union Faction Details

chaedwards

Liturgist
Picked this up from the Wargamer news section - looks pretty interesting. I still want to play as the EU peacekeepers.

The New England Alliance is made up of parts from the former states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Members of the New England Alliance are driven and feel a strong sense of purpose in this war. Though only comprised of three territories, the NEA has one of the highest population densities in America. Before the secession, New Englanders felt that they were not given a representative voice.

The California Commonwealth is made up primarily of the former states of California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. Although the faction is wealthy in natural resources, most of the population centers are on the Pacific coast. Typically, others see members of the California Commonwealth as shallow but with an eye for color. The reality is they are also creative and resourceful. Most members of the California Commonwealth see the war as a battle against restriction and oppression.

The European Union peacekeeping force currently resides in a single territory made up of the former states of Maryland, Delaware and parts of Virginia, West Virginia and New Jersey. After open hostilities broke out, the war compounded the growing instability in the world due to the loss of such a large and prolific market. The EU voted to re-establish the union of states to prevent the spreading chaos. American resentment has grown since the EU decided to expand its role in the war.

The Great Plains Federation is made up of all, or parts of the former states of Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota. Midwesterners are usually seen as ultra conservative, dirt farmers with a stubborn streak a mile wide. Members of the Federation are still generally more tolerated and tolerant than any other faction, as they often are familiar with or were previous members of some other faction.

Pacifica, made up of the former states of Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado. The Pacifica faction came into being as a last resort when refugees from San Francisco were forced from their homes by Californian militia. The realization that there was no were to turn forced the region to form a defensive pact. Often classified as tree hugging, technophiles with a weak grasp of reality. The reality however, is that Pacificans see the war as a fight against aggression.

Recent revelations of election tampering by General Vladekov in Russia, were overshadowed by unrest in the former US. Vladekov successfully delayed further investigation by creating an emergency in Alaska using the expanded operations instituted by the EU as a catalyst. Vladekov’s occupation of Alaska is not supported by the Russian Federation but the outcome in Alaska may trigger a major political shift for or against Vladekov depending on your outcome here in Alaska.

Comprised of a confederation of the former states of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi Tennessee and Kentucky. The Confederacy sees the war as an attack on tradition and the acts of the other factions are viewed as treasonous. Most see confederates as backwards or stubborn. In fact, the Confederacy is quite progressive and other than geography it has little in common with the confederates of the first civil war.

One might argue that the Republic of Texas was just one excuse away from existing since the formation of Texas itself. The Republic is made up of parts of the former states of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri. Though regarded as beer swilling cowboys, and gun toting rabble. Texans are also known to live by no-nonsense rules and take a dim view of traitors and bureaucrats. Texans are ferociously independent and live just one step away from anarchy.

shasla5

Novice
That bit about Pacifica is totally inaccurate. Only the coast is "treehugging", the entire rest of the northwest is quite conservative. I live there, after all. Especially Idaho. Aryan Nations, anyone?
The premise is good, but they over generalized the factions. The West coast should have been a faction in itself, for it is united in it's liberalism. The regions East of there are more down to Earth, and so Pacifica should have it's frontier at the Cascade Mountains.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I am so looking forward to this game. I get to lead my Texas legions and crush the Californians AND some meddling Europeans?

While maybe the factions aren't quite so accurate (really, it would the the South, Texas, and Midwest vs the Coasts and New England), but they had to throw in some variety.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'm going to wait until this game fails to sell at all and then vulture it out of the bargain bin because I think it sounds really cool.

Kotario

Liturgist
Interesting what they have done with the new Confederacy. They didn't take the easy path and simply make it a recreation of the original.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah I was glad about that. I think it shows that there's at least a little creativity and originality in this title. The idea of today's South being anything like the South of 150 years ago is kinda dumb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom