Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Silverfall preview at UGO

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Silverfall

<a href=http://www.ugo.com>UGO</a> had a chance to play a <a href=http://www.silverfall-game.com/en/>Silverfall</a>'s preview build, posting their lacking-any-details and pretty much useless impressions <a href=http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=16725&sectionId=2>right here</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Although you'll start by creating your own character (race and class), the tutorial section that follows actually puts you in control of a powerful wizard as he valiantly yet fruitlessly works to save the city of Silverfall from an undead (the face of evil in this game) invasion. You won't take control of your created hero - who turns out to be the lost wizard's apprentice - until immediately after this section, as the town's refugees try to reorganize in the nearby swamps. The character creation process is a simplified version of what we've come to expect from other RPG titles, and it works well enough for a game like this. For those unfamiliar with Diablo or its successors, you interact with the world by simply clicking your mouse pointer on different parts of the environment. It works as well in Silverfall as it has in similar titles, so enjoying the experience really comes down to whether or not you like this style of play.</blockquote>How unexciting.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Jed

Cipher
Perhaps we're seeing the final stages of burnout on the glut of fantasy settings in the market. With BioWhore and Lucas Arts pushing two major titles set in sci-fi (or fantasy-in-future-clothes, at least) settings, perhaps the industry will warm up to other settings and we will see room for some (hopefully interesting) sci-fi titles.

Probably not, but one can wish ...

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
@Jed
I certainly share your wish, but if the LucasArts game you're referring to happens to be that new Star Wars thing, I'd rather stick with metrosexual wood elves and firespells.

Generally, I don't even care if the setting can be classified as sci-fi or fantasy, I just yearn for some interesting new approaches, instead of the endless recycling of age old clichès.

Jed

Cipher
suibhne said:
Yeah, 'cause sci-fi titles have worked out so well in recent memory.
Fallout, System Shock, Deus Ex, for a few decent games (if not all are exactly great RPGs). I never really cared for fantasy in general. In fact, to date, I've only ever read the Lord of the Rings, His Dark Materials, and the Earthsea trilogies. I've always been much more into sci-fi and things generally futuristic-ery.

I'm just so goddamned sick of swords and wizards and elves ... can't go on ...

Veracity

Liturgist
[/derail]Did you read the fourth Earthsea book? That was pretty sick of wizards, too; it might appeal.[/rerail]

Jed

Cipher
No, stopped after the third. Is it worth reading?

suibhne said:
Yeah, 'cause sci-fi titles have worked out so well in recent memory.
So, what sci-fi games having been coming out recently? I must've missed out ... The KoTORs, Spacehack, and ... ???

Veracity

Liturgist
I read them too long ago to remember many details. It's kind of agenda-driven (Le Guin apparently heard about feminism from somebody in the intervening two decades - typical bloody writer, living in a cave etc), which might irritate, but at least it has novelty value for using a rather schlock fantasy setting to tell a story about people who aren't sodding wish-fulfilment superheroes, one being the archmage chappie from the initial trilogy. In short, he mopes a lot for reasons that'll be obvious if you haven't blanked all memory of the trilogy in self-defence, then finally gets laid and cheers up a bit.

There's a fifth one, too, but all I know of that is that it exists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom