Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Singularity?

baronjohn

Cipher
Anyone played this?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Has its moments, but otherwise lacklustre. I guess it's okay for a single playthrough, but all in all, it's a rather generic corridor shooter with meh guns, not to mention it has one of the dumbest plots involving time travel to have ever graced gaming. Facepalm per hour ratio is capped at something like 20 fp/h, thanks to all the inconsistencies, plot holes and general dumbfuckery.

I guess it's sorta fun to mow down futuristic specnaz with a minigun, but I wouldn't waste my cash on it, really.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Your standard shooter with time manipulation and the like. It was entertaining enough for me to finish... and that usually says enough considering that I'm not a fan of shooter (hate Bioshock and MEs with a passion).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Would any of you recommend it to someone who used to like Raven shooters? Is it possible to be entertained and laugh at the plot instead of facepalming if you approach it knowing it's gonna make no sense?

made

Arcane
Gee guys, ofc it's not Pulitzer Prize level writing like in New Vegas. Game's decent, just kinda boring. Keeping it on HD in case I ever want to finish it. It ain't no Dead Space 2, bros.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
baronjohn said:
Is it any good?

Worse than New Vegas -- hilarious how some of you 'principled guys' troll over one game then express interest in some shitty generic fps with one or two gimmicky aspects. Might as well go play Borderlands or Wolfenstein 2010.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
What? There's a shooter called that? I could've sworn this was gonna be about the AI simulator.

ortucis

Prophet
I played it recently and after that, the new Wolfenstein.

It's fucking unbelievable how underrated these two games from Raven are. Actually, the attitude of Activision towards their games and media bitching about them not being another COD or BF like games really pissed me off.

All I can say is this, unlike other shooters out these, the ones hyped about, when I picked up these two gems I played non-stop. It was a welcome change and the fast pace reminded me of good 'ol Quake 2 days. Pure action without any bullshit "drama" or realistic call-signs thrown around from US army.

Also, I still have both games installed since I completed them 3 months ago. I take a break from hardcore next-gen realism and load these two every now and then for a replay. Fun.

PS: Singularity like mechanics are what the new Red Faction is copying (and presenting as a new awesome features as seen in their excited previews). But thanks to hype and proper publishing, my guess is that most gamers will never realise that breaking and re-building through time manipulation was so much fun in a game called Singularity. :(

It's a pretty decent game, though I hate those enemies that phase in and out with a burning passion. Lots of little secrets or winks and nods for the player who carefully explores, a well setup atmosphere and I like the foreshadowing well before certain events come to pass.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I have just finished it. Turned out to be quite a fun.
At first it was hell of the disappointment, as I have read somewhere (was is Codex?; don't really remember) about changing the timeline and facing the concsquences. When it occured to me, that this game is as railroaded as it gets, I was on the verge of quiting on it. But then I got over it, and found out that is somewhat fun after all. The storyline is on pair with some a little less then average sci-fi novel, and some of the guns are quite imaginative.
You can carry only two regular guns though. There is a jack of all trages assalut rifle, to be sure, I have avoided it like a plague. Playing the most of the game with shotgun and sniper rifle combo turned out quite an enjoyable experience, actually.
Buyable perks and hero upgrades, but the game is rather easy even without it.
The three endings. Ii may sound nice, but after beating a game you have to just click "continue", to go into a spot where you can choose another ending...
Then again, I'd not called any of these endings a "good ending". Thats a plus, in my book.

ortucis

Prophet
"Then again, I'd not called any of these endings a "good ending". Thats a plus, in my book."

Having shitty endings is a "plus" in your book?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
ortucis said:
"Then again, I'd not called any of these endings a "good ending". Thats a plus, in my book."

Having shitty endings is a "plus" in your book?
I think he meant that non of the endings were "happy endings".

ortucis

Prophet
So not having a "happy ending" is now a plus?

Well.. OF COURSE, we all want to see the world burn. Especially after trying to save it for 8 hrs of play-through..

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
ortucis said:
So not having a "happy ending" is now a plus?

Well.. OF COURSE, we all want to see the world burn. Especially after trying to save it for 8 hrs of play-through..

There are happy endings and there are happy endings.
SPOILER!!!

In the happy ending the entire world |(yes, including US of A) ends up as a communist paradise, for whatever it's worth. For me, is is a :decline:
No happy ending where you kill all the bad guys and save the girl.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
By coincidence I just downloaded a couple of days ago and came here to check if there were any threads about it. Very enjoyable and varied FPS, great pacing, fully recommend it. Then again I'm also enjoying resident evil 5, so take that with a grain of salt.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished this.

Damn, it was a short game. Really good shooter, this and the new Wolfenstein actually are the best new shooters I've played. Raven does have a talent for making solid games with good (although not exceptional) level design even in these modern times of decline. Enemies are varied and popamoling isn't a valid strategy with most of them. Also, there's "hidden" goodies (they're not really that well-hidden compared to secret areas of 90s shooters, but at least they're there) and NO HEALTH REGEN.

I found health packs to be much too frequent though, and you can buy upgrades that raise your health and inventory space and effectiveness of health packs, so you can end up carrying 8 health packs and each is able to heal you fully while you have enough health to survive dozens of bullets.
Still, having no auto-regen health was quite awesome, and in the beginning health pack managing actually mattered.

The shooting was good, guns were okay but what's with this newfag "you can only carry 2 guns" shit :x
And that after the new Wolfenstein where you could carry all of the guns :decline:

Overall, a solid shooter which was a lot of fun to play through. Nothing groundbreaking, and not on par with the classics, but much much better than the CoD games or similar modern shooters. And the ending was pretty awesome, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom