Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how was Ninja Gaiden Sigma dumbed down?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Ok, so just finished the game after hearing high praise for it here. (No, I don't have an X-Box or 360, before any of you ask). I have to say I agree with the majority sentiment that it's challenging in a good way as opposed to a cheap way (for the most part). I definitely enjoyed it. I know I've heard some comments on it being inferior to the original X-Box version and that it was easier, so if any of you could please elaborate that would be great. For the record, I already know about the Rachel missions and I agree that they were pretty pointless and semi-retarded. But what about the overall difficulty of the game? Is it really THAT much easier?

Dickweed

Educated
Dicksmoker said:
Ok, so just finished the game after hearing high praise for it here. (No, I don't have an X-Box or 360, before any of you ask). I have to say I agree with the majority sentiment that it's challenging in a good way as opposed to a cheap way (for the most part). I definitely enjoyed it. I know I've heard some comments on it being inferior to the original X-Box version and that it was easier, so if any of you could please elaborate that would be great. For the record, I already know about the Rachel missions and I agree that they were pretty pointless and semi-retarded. But what about the overall difficulty of the game? Is it really THAT much easier?
Not really that much. It's easier but not the way you're saying they said. Mostly the only thing I didn't like about it was that the controls and stuff felt kind of off, but that comes with the fact that the PS3 controller is a pile of shit.

Slobbergoat

Novice
Having completed the game & missions on Master Ninja on the Xbox Black release and later having brought a friend Sigma (Which I'd eventually play through as well):

Enemies are a lot less aggressive, particularly the black/red ninja; Some bosses are more forgiving, most noticeably the Alma(s) and Doku.

Timing on most moves has changed, generally for the worse - probably to appeal to DMC babbies. Most noticeable with the lunar. Weapon positions have also changed which messes up the game's balance - for example, finding the lunar on mission 4 rather than mission 2 means it misses the areas it's best to use it in. Also, you don't seem to start with the lunar or nunchucks on Master Ninja mode which makes the ninja fortress unneccesarily dull given the conservative style you need to play with the level 1 dragon sword to beat it.

Still, though, these are all secondary to what really dumbs down Sigma infinitely more than Black - you're able to use healing items in the midst of enemy attacks. This actually makes several bosses like Alma miles easier because if you run low on life and they grab you with their boss specials you can just heal before you die; whilst in Black you needed to have a second to stand still before you could heal yourself and couldn't do so while attacking or being attacked.

And yeah, the PS3 controller ruins much of the game's playability by the shittiness of input. Thank god they realized the shitty marshmellow triggers are horrible and assigned block/camera to the bumpers instead.

Overall it's mostly just messed up by the lack of Itagaki overseeing the project, something that looks to be affecting Sigma "Throw all this shit in and hope for the best" 2

Dickweed

Educated
itagaki.jpg

??????????

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Where are you, Edward? I thought you'd be all over this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom