Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Solo Ironman

hivemind

How far can you make it on solo Ironman?

Personally I'm currently doing solo with my first build idea and ironman wise I get stuck on the Rock Bottom boss pre ant Queen. I can kill him easily enough, but it's still not reliable enough for an ironmen run.(maybe I could restart a few times if I die since it's early in the game but I feel like that is cheap)

What about you and your builds?

Trash Player

Scholar
Braca post queen. Up to the Forge, pre Scarus, skipping the 3 worms. Died being double turned by the 4 Blackies.
7/10/10/4/7 Sword/Dodge maxed Alchemy 8 Crafting almost 8
Int compensates to-hit fine enough solo. Not sure if Per 7 would have paid dividends on initiative. CC bonus irrelevant though,
and higher Alchemy at this point makes it much easier.
I suppose Blocking is better past Enforcer, but boy is a barrel lid worthless for life expectancy.

Trash Player

Scholar
1. As of the state post release, it has not been possible to max 4 skills with 4 int within a reasonable timeframe(if at all), e.g. pre-Emperor/Machine gunner bot.
2. It was not pre patch. Post patch 1, each point of Int gives 5 sps up front. So 15 sp = extra rank on Att or Def.
The skill point reduction post-release is very biting, it is very possible to missed out on either Crafting/Alchemy given the budget of a 4 int idiot.

Trash Player

Scholar
A sword/blocking run was cut short by the first 3 molerats. A series of bad roll and lack of remedies due to frugalness did me in.
Same stats, 9 sword, 6 in both Alchemy and Crafting.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Criticals are a real trouble here, so a build with high vCS modifier should be preferable. Blocking seems also more consistent than dodge-in the end game, even with master crafting you will get -15/20 penalty from armors, so effective dodge will be 100-110, thats not enough against end game enemies, especially vs constructs in machine room.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
even with master crafting you will get -15/20 penalty from armors, so effective dodge will be 100-110, thats not enough against end game enemies, especially vs constructs in machine room.
How about armor without penalty? Like worm or skorpion armor.

It's at most 6 DR. But as i said i prefer block/heavy armor, than dodge. You will get hit -that's a certainty, so it's better to get hit wearing 10-11 DR reduction armor, with shield on top of that, then going with only 6 DR. Even if you won't block the hit, the armor should absorb the rest. With dodge, its less predictable. Don't get me wrong -dodge is way better at the start of the game, but then it kind of fall offs.
I thought about interesting build using heavy armor plus shield, and throwing weapons, wonder how that would fare against a standard melee.

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
I register on this forum just to say that:
1. You dont done it first.
2. You stole my build idea. Your first message appeared before I uploaded my first Ironman attempt. You cant take a cedit for this build.
3. I have a lot of recordings of preparing for this run yestarday with timecodes and showing menu, where time displayed. And I using the same shield + scaurus spear.
4. I have A TON of recordings with same build before this theme was created.
5. You screenshot is not legit. I can use console to rig my character, then drop stat and skill values to believable points at the end, and make screenshot.
6. I began recording 100% working strat before your message of wining appeared here and on Steam. I finished recording 1 hour after you posted your screenshot on Steam. Currently video rendering and will be uploaded tommorow.
7. I claiming rights for this super effective build and willing to provide proofs if needed.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I register on this forum just to say that:
1. You dont done it first.
2. You stole my build idea. Your first message appeared before I uploaded my first Ironman attempt. You cant take a cedit for this build.
3. I have a lot of recordings of preparing for this run yestarday with timecodes and showing menu, where time displayed. And I using the same shield + scaurus spear.
4. I have A TON of recordings with same build before this theme was created.
5. You screenshot is not legit. I can use console to rig my character, then drop stat and skill values to believable points at the end, and make screenshot.
6. I began recording 100% working strat before your message of wining appeared here and on Steam. I finished recording 1 hour after you posted your screenshot on Steam. Currently video rendering and will be uploaded tommorow.
7. I claiming rights for this super effective build and willing to provide proofs if needed.
Please don't plagiarize and then lie about it. As a long-time forum member, I am confirming that he did it first. What do you have to say for yourself?

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Trash Player
:salute:

ComradeReptiloid
Firstly, there's nothing innovative about the spear build and it's rather obvious choice in fact but the problem starts with proper execution. Personally I don't like it because of the style which is hit and run and it's tedious. Playing that way for 53 fights is a bit too much for me (I've played with spear in AoD but it wasn't just fights), personally I prefer the axe, hammer or a sword. And yes, he might have rigged the build/screens but I doubt it, I believe him. And judging by your comment you also believe him. Games, serious business. It only shows that Vault Dweller and co. have done it right.

Last edited:

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
I dont hold anything against Trash Player. I just bitter, because I cant upload 3,5 hours long video before someone will upload a single screenshot.
The problem is — peoples gonna legitimately believe (not like Absinthe) that I plagiarized his build, even if I didn't. In preparation phase I tinkered stats, gear, skillpoints gain based on number of enemies you fight, sequence of encounters and fight strats, retrying fights ~30 times to find perfect solution and then repeat at least 10 to see all variations (have all this tries recorded too) realy hard to not drop below 30 hp in any given fight (except 3 fights all in early game and worms), and I succeded in this task in real Ironman run. I realy put a lot of time in this one, and, probably, make first legit Ironman Solo MP same day patch was released. But my laptop suck at rendering videos + my upload speed is lacking.
On build originality: AoD was released in 2015 and all game mechanics was discovered already. I consider my build and gameplay style very proactive in most of the fights due to outleveling my opponents. Ultimately defeating RNG with 10 DEX + 10 CON + 10 dodge + 10-16 mobility bonus + 30 passive defence bonus + 25 shield bonus + 100% spear passive + CS defence stacking, exploiting AI to the limit, using 10 INT to outlevel my opponents, etc. Entire run length — 3"34:20 only because it include a lot of backtracking for ingridients, crafting gear and brewing potions. I can assure you that my walkthrough is very creative and refined, using all this hidden mechanics. I can guarantee that if you follow step-by-step guide of mine video, you will win all fights 100% and stay above 30 hp (usually above 40-45). I win medbot fight without losing single hp and was hit twice for laughtable damage in emperor fight (in preparation never hit once).
On spear: I chose spear, because it negate RNG. In AoD axes was my favourite weapon. In DR is sword+block or spear+dodge, because I love lot of AP.
On first post: Originally I designed my first post to be a cheap bait for views and drama, but now I see that RPG Codex have mature audience, despite it reputation, which is the main reason, why I was read only for couple of years. Video will upload tommorow if everything goes ok. I can upload all preparation .avi files on Dropbox if you dont believe that I was first. First one dated even before this theme was created, and 2 days before Trash Player first screenshot.
CHEERS EVERYONE!!!

Last edited:

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
Overestimated my ISP, but it finally there after 3 days of uploading:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom