Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SoW - Character Models

xuerebx

Erudite
Looks nice mate. Though I'm not sure why you're posting progress on this forum, considering most people here are trolls, and assholes.

g

Novice
The funny thing here is that you think you proved something. Especially since you aren't even showing any part of the character's UV seems.

You could just as well taken fred flintstone and hacked away a bit and used him for your base model.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
The funny thing here is that you think you proved something. Especially since you aren't even showing any part of the character's UV seems.

The funny thing is you don't know enough to know the significance of what I've shown you there. Try to understand this, UV mapping is pretty trivial, it takes time but little skill. The fact that you see seams in my old shots is because I didn't take the time to do them because I was showing a wip to people were interested. I'm not showing unfinished stuff yet because fools like you leap to stupid conclusions.

Mojo

Scholar
Lol.

The interwebz seems to never be short of shithead trolls like our dear "g". Funny, I suppose you should try developing a game by yourself. If you did you would not be so quick to piss on those WIP's .

It's also very stupid to compare the quality of graphics in an indie game to the modern industry standards. So what if he used a stock model as a base? That saves time and money, the results are satisfying enough tp his target audience, and the guy already said he's a programmer.

One person doing the art for a game is already pretty difficult. This guy seems to be trying to do mostly everything by himself. It's quite understandable that he doesn't update this thread so often AFAIK, specially if he's working on the game and trying to keep his life up to date.

g

Novice
No one make a game bigger than ms pacman on their own. It's a pipe dream. Maybe in ten more years you guys will have this thing done.

I have models in lots of mods few MMOs and I thought I could help but some people just can't take criticism. Well, I tried :shrug:

Eldritch

Scholar
Dear Naked Ninja,

g thought he could help but now you've lost your chance.

He thought he could save this game and become a hero.

He thought he could help but at the same time get some of your attention.

You just couldn't take some criticism.

You have lost him forever.

:<

Eldritch

Scholar
wastelandmerc3th6px.jpg

g

Novice
It's not trivial if you don't know how to do it right. I doubt it's as cleam as you claim. Y didn't even answer me before on this, I guess scrambling to figure out what I was taking about. Once you try animating you'll see the rig is fucked, too. So you'll have to fix this.

So it goes back once again ig youw ant to make this guy a good character the texture is useless, the proportions are bad, the rigging is fucked. The UVs are junk. All due to hacking on it.

So to fix everything you need to fix every part of this. If you are going to go to that trouble, you should simply have made your own character from scratch. Then you would have become a pro at all these issues and have your own look that's just what you want.

Instead you have a halfassed idea of how everything works even thouh you're going to have to spend about the same time making this guy solid as if you made your own character.

Then you will get to having to do something more challenging and you will flop on your face because you don't have the tools to cope.

If you don't learn this yourself, someone on your team needs to or else it's going to be a neverending booper real.

I don't know why my advice is so belittled. Raise hands anyone who has a piece in oblivion or fallot 3? Or who's point modeled a character model, rigged it and animated it for a game. Oh wait, it's just me. I am still in school, but for fuck's sake you'd think someone offering some very obvious advice like this the reaction would be huh maybe so but to have someone like this guy who alternatively says he knows nothing of art and acts like some knowitall, I din't know whether to laugh or cray.

Mojo

Scholar
g said:
I don't know why my advice is so belittled. Raise hands anyone who has a piece in oblivion or fallot 3? Or who's point modeled a character model, rigged it and animated it for a game. Oh wait, it's just me..

This is the codex, pal. Land of the free and home of the trolls. If you gonna make such claims you gonna have to prove them.

And have you tried this Garage games model/animation pack? I ask because I never did, but you seem to know an awful lot about it's quality. You know enough to call it utter shit, that is. The animation samples look pretty fluid, specially for such a low poly character. Why is the rigg and the skeleton so fucked up then? A professional opinion such as yours is always appreciated. I'm an amateur modeler/texturer myself, btw.

g

Novice
I am not really professional, just student with a few pieces in games. Maybe I accidentally came off too strong in first post and got worse from there but but somehow this guy really rubs me the wrong way.

The issue is nothing with the model quality but with hacking it into shape. The skinning might survive but if so it will be due to luck, and of course same with textures and UV seams. And the textures are crap anyway.

I have that same model. It's a good model but it has pretty halfhearted textures that won't work for modern game engine with shaders or spec and normal maps. Which I think even the indie engines do these days, though I usually mess around with crysis because it's much friendlier.

And it is not exactly a great basis for medieval character with its duke nukem cartoonish proportions. I guess when I look close maybe he did not change the proportions much but it really needs it.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
It's not trivial if you don't know how to do it right.

Luckily I know how to do it right.

I doubt it's as cleam as you claim.

You say doubt because you don't know. If you had as much knowledge and experience as you think you did, you would be able to tell the truth or falsehood of my words, no uncertainty. But you can't. Because you're taking wild guesses. Keep guessing guy.

Y didn't even answer me before on this, I guess scrambling to figure out what I was taking about.

Lol. If you say so kid. Or, to propose another theory, I just couldn't be bothered with you. I've gotten bored arguing with obvious trolling, I only make an effort when I'm not busy with other things. And I'm often busy with other things. You overestimate your own importance.

Once you try animating you'll see the rig is fucked, too. So you'll have to fix this.

Oh g, you are too amusing. Pray tell me, why would the broken texture seams on the model shots in any way affect the animation rig? You leak ignorance in every sentance. :lol:

So it goes back once again ig youw ant to make this guy a good character the texture is useless, the proportions are bad, the rigging is fucked. The UVs are junk. All due to hacking on it.

Extrapolating from a position of ignorance : Still ignorance.

The UVs are all junk? Funny how I got that head texture looking fine simply by replacing the older one with some photo shots and slightly tweaking the UVs. Took less than an hour. "Junk" indeed. :roll:

So to fix everything you need to fix every part of this. If you are going to go to that trouble, you should simply have made your own character from scratch. Then you would have become a pro at all these issues and have your own look that's just what you want

Would I have become a pro like you by making one single model? Wow, what an appealing prospect. And realistic, too! Alert the media, you become pro by making one model, secrets of 3D artists revealed!!!

No kid. It took a few hours to modify this, it would take months to make my own model and rig it correctly.

Then you will get to having to do something more challenging and you will flop on your face because you don't have the tools to cope.

Mercy me!

If you don't learn this yourself, someone on your team needs to or else it's going to be a neverending booper real.

We'll struggle through, somehow. Thanks for the support though, I always appreciate knowledgeable posts from concerned fans.

I don't know why my advice is so belittled.

Because you don't actually know enough about what you're discussing to realise how silly you sound. :lol:

Raise hands anyone who has a piece in oblivion or fallot 3? Or who's point modeled a character model, rigged it and animated it for a game. Oh wait, it's just me.

Links guy, links.

I haven't created a game model, no. But Spencer Boomhower, the creator of that model, has. You know, the model you called utter shit? Created by an industry pro with over ten years experience. I wonder how he didn't realise how shit a model he'd created?

I wonder why an industry pro said something like this :

If you're unfamiliar with 3D editing, but you really need to make changes to AdamPack, consider hiring one of the many talented artists in the GarageGames community. It'll still be a heck of a lot cheaper than building from scratch.I've taken care of some of the more complicated modeling tasks, like the muscles of the torso and arms, so even inexperienced artists will be able to tweak you up some good results.

I am still in school, but for fuck's sake you'd think someone offering some very obvious advice like this

Except it isn't obvious. It's rubbish, and if you have actually modelled a piece of game art all that proves is you know only one way of doing things and can't see how anyone could do something you can't.

the reaction would be huh maybe so but to have someone like this guy who alternatively says he knows nothing of art and acts like some knowitall, I din't know whether to laugh or cray.

That was actually painful to read, there were so many grammar/spelling errors. Are you drunk kid?

The issue is nothing with the model quality but with hacking it into shape. The skinning might survive but if so it will be due to luck, and of course same with textures and UV seams. And the textures are crap anyway.

I've already explained this, but once again for the slow.

Step 1 : Replace texture with a photo-based texture.
Step 2 : Adjust existing UVs (which are almost in the right shape to start) to fit.

That was all I did with the head, despite rebuilding the area around the eyes and adding structure to the rest of the face. It was trivial. The fact that you think the torso or whatever is more complex than the face says a lot about your own knowledge. :roll:

Now, I haven't finished with the other parts so I'm not showing them, because g will immediately crow that unfinished UV mapping is proof that the UV mapping is "hopelessly broken", instead of the reality, I just haven't devoted the time to finishing it because I'm busy with things that are more important in the grand scheme of things. I showed the head as demonstration that the principle is completely sound. The fact that he is still arguing is simply proof that he doesn't have a damn clue enough to understand how the principle is identical regardless of body part.

And none of that has anything at all to do with the animation rig, lol.

I have that same model. It's a good model but it has pretty halfhearted textures that won't work for modern game engine with shaders or spec and normal maps. Which I think even the indie engines do these days, though I usually mess around with crysis because it's much friendlie

Hells bells, you're an idiot. Yes, go play with Crysis, the absolute top-end of the graphical spectrum, then come and tell me that as an indie I should aim for that kind of market.

And it is not exactly a great basis for medieval character with its duke nukem cartoonish proportions. I guess when I look close maybe he did not change the proportions much but it really needs it.

Lol, the fact that you can't see how easy it is to make vertex modifications to adjust "proportions" is another great sign of how ignorant you are. Keep telling yourself that buddy.

Truth be told, you are simply struggling to look past the broken textures I showed in those first pics. When I come back with a retextured head, you say something like "but the body is broken, I'm sure of it!". Lol. So clueless. The body is no more broken than the head, it's simply waiting for me to take the time to finish the cleanup. And that won't take very long. I fact, now that I have an artist on my team, I'll let him do it while I continue doing the other stuff. It will take him even less time.

Collywobbles

Novice
-edit- didn't see NN, ignore this I guess.

The problem is the way you went about it, and for what purpose? I am a professional, and I haven't worked on this yet. These are models from two years ago before I even knew about this game, I started last month and have been busy concepting and illustrating. They were done for fun by a programmer building his art skills trying to share some information about his game to people who might care. Honestly Gareth has some of the best programmer art I have seen, he is able to communicate with me through sketches and models that other clients can't. I joined to help him and support the independent industry. Ever wonder why other artists don't want to work on independents?

We have been busy working on concepts and a universal style for a huge game. Character models should come after concepts, don't you think? Those models and textures will not look like that in-game. They are process that Gareth wanted to share, specifically labeled as such. We don't have time to discuss this, we really don't have time to even post it. This thread is the reason why other games don't show anything or shop their screens to Hell. We have not shown anything even remotely finished,polished or passed the concept stage.

That is what has been explained to you repeatedly, what do you want? You can complain and crit whatever you want, I hope that you do, but at least read the thread date first and try to understand concept and process. Try to understand a programmer developing art skills in his spare time while making an RPG. The fact that he has the motivation and puts in the time prompted me to help, when I could be making a lot more money and benefits in a mainstream studio.

I could have criticized the shit out of his work while feeling so superior to myself, but instead I sacrificed my time and money while living in the fucking hospital to help his game look as good as possible. This has been one of the best jobs I have had, it's fun as hell, bu threads like this are such a waste of time and energy. We absolutely want your criticism, but not if the issues have already been pointed out, fixed, or explained. If you want to help then I welcome it, I'm not sure that is your agenda though. We all want the game to look as good as possible, and will take any suggestions made so I thank you for the effort at least.

http://collywobblebloggle.blogspot.com/

-Here is my artblog, it's basically sketches, concepts and experiments, none of my finished work. If you want to crit any of this stuff then feel free, I only ask that you do so in a mature manner because clients read it.

g

Novice
I already apologized for not realizing it was an old thread. Yes, I know it was a waste of time now and have since the first response.

I also know he is not claiming to be a superman artiste, and I did not criticize his art skills at all, I simply suggest a better method of working. A suggestion that's 100% true. It's fine for a pro artist to take a stock character and go to town but it is not a good way to work when you are learning character modeling.

You say I am wasting your time but I feel the other way around. I can't even bring myself to read the new post of the guy who works with you.

My original point was to help out a bit and offer some very valid advice. Not to bash on his art skills, or to bash on the maker of the base model. Like I said model is good, though the textures are not. I don't know why the concept is hard to understand and on any other forum I have ever been on giving a simple crit has never lead to such a conniption fit but I guess programmers turn out to be more temperamental than artists.

If he had any maturity or just some simple common sense he would have said simply "oh, that's old and I have an artist helping me now" and that would be that. Not "god damn you stupid fool, how dare you criticize me. I just threw that together in eleven minutes and forty two seconds and it was only a test".

Ok, and this is really my final post, and good luck with your work. I thought that was the end of it with each one after the first to be honest.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
@ Trash : Nice and succinct :lol:

Agreed, I've had enough of this waste of time. g, please stay true to your word here :

Ok, and this is really my final post, and good luck with your work.

And give it a rest. Or I will use my mod powahs to enforce your own promise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom