Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam will stop supporting Windows 7 and 8 in 2024.

no no, it's been two days, the warning still says "steam will stop running on windows 7 in 0 days".
Went the same way when they ended XP support years ago. Kept working for a week or so until it didn't iirc. They're never precisely on time.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Windows 10 is the worst trash I have ever used in my life

Even on beast specs with an SSD it runs like shit, it is just so badly written and compiled, devastating RAM rot, telemetry, mobile UI, Edge, service bloat that is never used only drains resources, etc.

You need a few days just to make it more mild and usable

deuxhero

Arcane

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Windows 10 is the worst trash I have ever used in my life

Even on beast specs with an SSD it runs like shit, it is just so badly written and compiled, devastating RAM rot, telemetry, mobile UI, Edge, service bloat that is never used only drains resources, etc.

You need a few days just to make it more mild and usable
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

This is what I am going to do

How do I handle Adobe software such as Photoshop and Illustrator? Do I need an emulator?

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Theres also crossover, purchase gets you 1 year of updates then when that runs out you can update to the last version you had access to, they apprently have a big sale on boxing day. They help out with the wine project and upload there first so you can probably stick with wine for all the things and if you like it enough to throw shekels to support them later.

I settled on Nobara. Once im more comfortable ill consider distrohopping to taste the rainbow

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I solved the issue by switching from Windows 7 to Linux (Manjaro KDE) about a year ago. I use Steam and Heroic (launcher for GOG/EPIC and also Amazon), and I haven't encountered a game in my library that doesn't work (although I don't play multiplayer). In fact, I've been fluctuating between Linux and Windows for at least 25 years but now, with Proton, the gaming situation (the major issue for me so far) is essentially resolved.

Trithne

Erudite
I haven't read the entire thread, but I solved the issue by switching from Windows 7 to Linux (Manjaro KDE) about a year ago. I use Steam and Heroic (launcher for GOG/EPIC and also Amazon), and I haven't encountered a game in my library that doesn't work (although I don't play multiplayer). In fact, I've been fluctuating between Linux and Windows for at least 25 years but now, with Proton, the gaming situation (the major issue for me so far) is essentially resolved.

Is Heroic actually good? It seemed to me to be primarily a frontend for the EGS. I've been using Lutris to be my gog frontend but it feels a little bit jank and unsatisfactory to use as such, doesn't handle updates or even downloads well. Good for the games that someone's spent time making a custom installer for but if you get something new on gog it basically doesn't work.

This probably wouldn't be such an issue if cuck devs just made Linux binaries of their games. It's a fucking checkbox in your engine now!

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Im a GIMP user already but thanks for the second link brother
GIMP feels so out of date now, there's much better open source options. Isn't helped by GIMPs awful interface change that made everything look worse and shuffled icons around.
People are like "I need photoshop" when all they do is edit memes or change contrast and brightness for their holiday pictures.
Recommend some other software then. Krita is pretty decent if I recall.
Is Heroic actually good? It seemed to me to be primarily a frontend for the EGS. I've been using Lutris to be my gog frontend but it feels a little bit jank and unsatisfactory to use as such, doesn't handle updates or even downloads well. Good for the games that someone's spent time making a custom installer for but if you get something new on gog it basically doesn't work.
I used it to install an EGS game on the steam deck earlier. Installed with no issue and asked me which version of proton I wanted to run it under. Lutris has always been a pain in the arse so I was surprized how well Heroic worked. I may install it on my windows machine to get around installing Chinese spyware and still get free games.

Trithne

Erudite
Dreed

Nigger tf you rating me pooh for? I haven't used Heroic because I thought it was purely for the EGS that I also don't use.

Does the mention of Epic just cause you to have an aneurysm or something?

I used it to install an EGS game on the steam deck earlier. Installed with no issue and asked me which version of proton I wanted to run it under. Lutris has always been a pain in the arse so I was surprized how well Heroic worked. I may install it on my windows machine to get around installing Chinese spyware and still get free games.
That does sound a lot less fucking around than Lutris. Worth a try if nothing else.

Melcar

Arcane
Lutris is lame. Stop using it.
Also, it's not enough for devs to release Linux builds of their games. They have to keep updating them or ideally open them up so the community (their fanbase and users in this case) can continue to support the game. Countless examples of "Linux games" that no longer work with current distros due to outdated libraries. I wonder if they can release games as sort of a container like a flatpak

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Before settling on one, I tried all available frontends (Lutris and PlayOnLinux included), but none seemed as straightforward and user-friendly as Heroic, in addition to having a clear and easy-to-navigate UI. For me, it's the best solution for managing GOG and EPIC games (the latter are in the hundreds, all obtained for free, not a single one purchased).

catfood

AGAIN
Lutris is lame. Stop using it.
Also, it's not enough for devs to release Linux builds of their games. They have to keep updating them or ideally open them up so the community (their fanbase and users in this case) can continue to support the game. Countless examples of "Linux games" that no longer work with current distros due to outdated libraries. I wonder if they can release games as sort of a container like a flatpak
What's the alternative? HGL didn't work for me.

True on the second point. You'll have more success running the Windows version under Wine.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just use Steam. It's easily the best gaming experience on Linux. Which is probably because they almost single-handedly made gaming on Linux a thing.

Melcar

Arcane
Steam is good and what I use as well. Actually, a combination of Steam and standard wine staging. All my games I run through the Steam Overlay which just makes things easier in terms of gamepad support. You can also use Proton to install/run Windows games, but it takes a bit of fiddling and can get complicated if you use lots of mods for a game.

Wasteland

Novice
One of the beautiful things about Heroic is that it makes adding GoG/Epic games to Steam a one-click affair.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just use Steam. It's easily the best gaming experience on Linux. Which is probably because they almost single-handedly made gaming on Linux a thing.
Same here. Also adding non Steam games to it for centralization sakes and also because it instantly enable home streaming if I do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom