Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The case for mod support

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I searched "mod support" inside this forum and found nothing so I'm guessing the point has not even been raised yet. So instead of derailing an update thread with this question, I decided to make a specific thread for that purpose. Anyway.

It's been almost 3 years since the release of AoD and by now the game stands at 82%/Very Positive on Steam and it's unlikely to change. Newer reviews tend to be even more positive so, if anything, the score might still go a bit up. This coupled with the heavy involvement of the community both on Steam and Iron Tower's official forum proves that the game managed to secure a "fan base" of its own.

So I raise the case for (limited) mod support in CSG. Look, I'm not a programmer and I don't really know the cost-to-benefit of having mod support. But as a player I feel like mods always add extra longevity to any game. And no I don't think having mod support is a free pass for bad games because "modders will fix it, lel". That's a nonsensical argument IMO, since mods can't change a flawed core. Eg: no amount of modding can make Oblivion not be garbage.

But on the other hand, when a game provides a solid and fun core, mods can elevate the fun factor to infinity. Eg: Mount & Blade. I really don't see a scenario where mods might be somehow detrimental, except in the sense that mods might popularize a form of "bastardization" of the game's design. But then again, you can always hardcode the things you really don't want to see modded, period.

So...yeah. Consider adding mod support, maybe?

That way we can have SOME WAY of running a custom party of mute murder machines without ITS having to worry about designing encounters around a custom party. :incline:

And, yeah, it makes the game easier, it doesn't fit the story/setting/yada yada. Custom parties are fun and I really want that option for a second playtrough, if possible. And other mods too, but mostly custom characters. I totally would've replayed (again) Dungeon Rats if the firecamp dudes could be fully replaced by my own ideas of perfect murderbots for a "perfect party".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Are you taking about mod support for AoD?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/aod/announcements/detail/1273802170608120081
  • you can modify all scripts permanently or by copy-pasting modified files into mods\ folder
  • mod files are isolated and don't require overwriting game files;
  • individual mods can be enabled/disabled, mods can be loaded by categories (requires manual text file editing right now)
  • the mods will override any scripted functionality: combat formulas, scripted events, AI functions, etc. I.e. everything that is in *.cs files
  • theoretically you can override GUIs too, but we haven't tried yet.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7451.0.html
^ mods

I agree that mod support is important, so we'll make Colony Ship as moddable as we can.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, so it has been raised already, lol. Ok, thx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom