Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Spell - city defense tactical RPG with roguelite mechanics - now with Dwarves of Runenberg DLC

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't see any demo version on Steam page.

Yeah, game is not aesthetic looking but at least monster design and spell effects are cool and not overdone. Also spells are really quick to cast, not your typical JRPG where even basic attacks have their own videos...

Completed my first run yesterday, with some really badly rolled characters. One of them had -1 AP trait and other one had nudist which prevents from equiping body armor. Weapons really win the game, especially using 2 sets.

They want to release this in 2023 and there will be one or two progress resets. Unlocking things feel a bit grindy so if you don't like to grind twice I'd advice waiting for the full release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Watch the replay of our devstream on The Last Spell for the release of the major update: Highway to Elderlicht.

Speakers: Matthieu (Programmer) & Thomas (Lead Game Designer)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

copebot

Learned
The game's pretty interesting. My only complaint so far is that it feels like in a boss mission night that the team that you had that worked fine for everything but bosses can become pretty useless. Everything except the boss mission is trivial filler content to get you ready for the boss mission. Maybe it changes in the later levels or with more unlocks.

Latelistener

Arcane
There are different types of enemies aside from general zombie fodder, like ranged and armored units that don't die as easily and may be counted as mini bosses. Due to that the game becomes progressively harder and I personally wasn't even able to get to the boss in the second city from the first try. I think you're not suppose to as there is a sort of a vertical progression in the game that adds new building types, weapon types, armor sets, etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The game's pretty interesting. My only complaint so far is that it feels like in a boss mission night that the team that you had that worked fine for everything but bosses can become pretty useless. Everything except the boss mission is trivial filler content to get you ready for the boss mission. Maybe it changes in the later levels or with more unlocks.

On later stages I usually didn't get to the boss on the first attempt, but you're right in the sense that the game is about building up to the boss, which I can't really see a problem with. Means there's more to it than just getting through a wave.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
941ffcfd2b057f42507f563ceb64697a7188de18.png

brown lesbian detected. Unplayable

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
It seems like they nerfed mana regen and perks, potions related with it. But HP potions dispel bebuffs, huge buff.
Shields get buffed a bit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excellent overview if you got some hours in and want to know some of the baseline, important concepts:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jaedar made the error of asking for my impressions, and as is my wont, I ended up writing a short novel, so I guess I can post it here as well for anyone who is interested in the game:

The Last Spell is a roguelike, which is a genre I conceptually love but where I've found few actual games I enjoy. The reason I normally don't enjoy these games is that the base mechanics can be superficial or play second fiddle to the progression systems that are at the heart of the genre. The Last Spell is kind of the reverse. The emphasis is put squarely on core gameplay, with a few very tested, very diverse scenarios in a clear story structure with balanced difficulty which each test your capability with the game in different ways with a variety of content.

The main reason The Last Spell is gewd is that it succeeds completely in its core conceit: blow up fuckhueg waves of zombies with a wide variety of tactics - from aoe spells, melee bonks, spreading poisons, in-your-face-coned gunblasts to non-hero stuff like traps and buildings. The combat is really fun and the presentation is GREAT; very satisfying sound and graphics when you beat up shit, slow, loud, pounding heavy metal running to the beat of the combat, simple and effective pixel art with lightning fast animations that can be sped up to insane speeds (though this is one of the few TB games where I rarely speed up combat animations because they're already moving by in a flash).

Forgetting about all the game's systems and its structure and all that, it's just immensely, kinetically satisfying to nuke incrementally bigger waves of enemies with these skills within this presentation.

Basically in each scenario/map, you start with a couple of heroes and a run-down base. Game plays on a day/night cycle. Every day you improve your base, level up your heroes, spend resources and manage defenses and upgrades. Every night a humongous horde of zombies attack (think enemy numbers in the hundreds), and your 3 (early on) to 6 (lategame) heroes have to defend your base in turn-based combat.

The character system is simple but extremely sturdy. Basically, every hero's active skills are defined solely by the weapon they equip, but each hero is unique in three ways:
(1) their three starting perks, which have a massive impact
(2) their skill tree, which consists of three base skill lines (melee, ranged, magic) with randomized perks in each individual tree (for example, the magic tree's initial perk can be two different mana perks) as well as two random archetype trees and 2 additional utility... ish... trees with a bunch of random stuff in them
(3) when heroes level up, you get to choose to level up 6 stats - but these stats are randomized out of a massive pool of attributes, so you don't have full control over build paths, and your heroes will vary depending on what great selections they get offered here. For a basic example, you might not plan to focus on crits, but then on level 3 you get an excellent Crit Chance stat in your pool and you decide "ok imma make a crit build". You can re-roll to get a new selection, but each time you do, the amount of stats on offer is narrowed, so you have to be careful

What this ends up doing is that you can both plan out a wide selection of builds depending on the uniqueness of your toon, but within those builds you make changes and roll with the punches of what you get.

Of course on top of the game has a couple of metaprogression systems as any self-respecting roguelike should, such as unlocking qualitative upgrades like new buildings, weapon sets and so on, adding stats, making certain things easier and so forth, or systems that allow you to scale up the enemies but get certain perks.

The metaprogression is basically as good as in any good roguelike, but the gameplay is much more meaty. It's also wonderfully focused; instead of wasting your time with an infinite procedually generated dungeon, it tasks you with completing unique scenarios with their own designed variables, and the gameplay diversity comes from your upgrade choices as well as all the variables that can change within a given unique scenario.

EDIT: oh, and conservaspergs like BING XI needn't worry, you can fully customize hero looks to banish randomized lesbian pixie haircuts from your game if you so choose

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Welp, first run ended thanks to harpy boss, couldn't kill them and the zombies same time with haste and 1 speed buffed executioner tore my poisoner into half. It was my first run, so not a really optimal party but still did well till that last night of the map.

New armor and block values are really good, I tanked one lane with a single heavy armored guy with hammer and shield. Not very effective at killing but exceled at holding the point till mage came.,

Corpse mechanic is also reaaly good. Leaving some corpses on the ground stops some of the zombies for a short time which enough to bet a breather. Also larger corpse piles can be scavenged for nice items.

Latelistener

Arcane
I wonder if they did something with swords as they were somewhat useless compared to hammers. Overall melee felt a lot weaker compared to mages and archers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I wonder if they did something with swords as they were somewhat useless compared to hammers. Overall melee felt a lot weaker compared to mages and archers.

Melee is still in a weaker spot in my opinion, still very useful as roleplayers (like tanking bosses, holding flanks etc.) and can still be great if everything falls in place for a toon. But in general, it still has a way to go to compare with other builds.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Best melee weapons are pistol and dagger :lol: But yeah other than greatsword melee gameplay is a bit too risky. If you want a viable melee in higher difficulties greatsword is the only sensible route.

So, finished the first village on my second run, without raising any panic. Tome, one handed crossbow and shortbow after second night made the run smooth. Also a wall of balistae helped :D Gave a really good sword and pistol to the 4th guy and with enough momentum he nearly soloed on of them harpies.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Started playing this today. Very fun game.

Beat Harpy with 2 mages, 1 archer, and a hammer/sword bro stacking armor and block + counter.

The melee guy carried the boss fight; he had blood magic (abilities consume health instead of mana) and life leach on kill so he could use abilities nonstop. I could also put him on one side and almost anything that hit him would die from reflect—gave him a sword and teleport scroll, sent him bottom middle when Harpy fight started, and when Harpy landed right, he was able to get to her in one turn to kill her.

My main mage guy was also pretty strong with the lightning bolt chain attack. Archer was alright but damage fell off near the end. Second mage I hired near the end when I unlocked the tavern, so he mainly fed AP to sword bro and spammed magic missiles to finish off weaker enemies.

Harpies were a bit hectic (on the archer’s side the wall was almost completely torn down), but I was able to move both mages to hold that wall, while my melee guy killed the final harpy. I prioritized getting resources, so I had a wall that was two thick in most places. Didn’t realize no one would ever come from the mines, so I built a wall there too.

Some strategy takeaways:

Fighting on your walls is good if you can manage it; bone piles appear more frequently if (a) you’re closer to the city and (b) enemies die together, and they give very good value for harvesting.

Using workers to give max mana/health doesn’t seem worth it until you have max workers (if at all), but prioritizing getting as many workers as you can as soon as you can seems very good for snowballing resources.

Armor and block are really strong for melee, at least in the first town. Stacking block with multiple weapon sets is good.

Was this game given away for free or something? Only 12% of steam players have unlocked the gods, something like 3% have beaten the Harpy—and 0.x% have built 12 workers!

Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow; unlocked longbows and a couple other things—good gameplay loop, and the gameplay itself is very satisfying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom