Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Ok, im gaming MMmerge mod hard and cleared out New Sorpigal and moved into Ironfist, but i have this wierd bug where i cant enter the guilds in town without crashing, and only the guilds, the rest is fine. Anyone had this error?
tried recently and it was fine. DO you have same issue when you purchase membership?

one thing ive noticed when comparing mmmerge and vanila is how baa cultists were much stronger in mmmerge

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how does access to dark magic work in mmmerge in mm6?
im looking in files at tables -> sorcs and wizards seem to have no dark/light access? Necromancer got dark mastery, although it doesnt exists in mm6 context.
Then Im seeing Lich and Dark Archmage who gain access to GM.
If I were to gain promotion, which one would that be?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Ok, im gaming MMmerge mod hard and cleared out New Sorpigal and moved into Ironfist, but i have this wierd bug where i cant enter the guilds in town without crashing, and only the guilds, the rest is fine. Anyone had this error?
Do you have a correct installation? The installation method was very confusing for me.
MMMerge install wiki

Luzur

Good Sir
Every part of the game sofar is fine, except entering guilds in Ironfist. Just insta-crash to desktop
tried recently and it was fine. DO you have same issue when you purchase membership?

one thing ive noticed when comparing mmmerge and vanila is how baa cultists were much stronger in mmmerge

Luzur

Good Sir
Do you have a correct installation? The installation method was very confusing for me.
MMMerge install wiki
i followed the same guide, but i choose the revamp option, though.

can that have something to do with it?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
MMMerge install wiki
i followed the same guide, but i choose the revamp option, though.

can that have something to do with it?
I did not use the Revamp, Community something was used (master if I remember correctly?).
Too much mods, HP regenerating items are not cumulative in MM6+Grayface, in Merge they are.
I have installed Grayface patch for quicksave and other UI improvements, but he was tinkering with gameplay things like dual wielding.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I'm about to make my first World of Xeen balance patch!

MM5 darkside of xeen; Am I the only one who have my attack spells, even basic ones like fireball and lightning bolt, miss a lot of the times vs particular monsters?

So I spent most of today tinkering with Cedric Busch' excellent Xeen unpacking utilities and found all the offsets for monsters resistances.
Monsters have 7 values: fire, elec, cold, poison, energy, magic, and physical resistances.
Magic resistance, in my opinion, is broken. It makes ALL spells , evey physical ones, have a chance to miss.
By editing the value to 0 for a few monsters with high magic resist like griffins and minotaur, it confirmed it.
I think the devs meant it as a way for monsters to resist MAGIC elemental spells like Mass Distortion (it's the way it works in MM6) but it works vs ALL spells!

No wonder people always complain how offensive magic is so weak in MM5!
So I'm gonna do my first balance patch.

In your opinion, should I just set magic resist to 0 for every monster in Darkside, or halve it, giving them a chance to evade spells? For bosses, it makes sense.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
To keep some sort of challenge, I could also increase the physical resistance of all non-boss monsters. That would then make some of them physical immune, like ghost & phase mummies, power liches and earth blasters.

Kayato

Literate
- If you create characters in the Castleview tavern they start at level 5 instead of level 1.
- The early quests in Castleview and its sewers give TONS of XP, especially if you solve both 9 chest challenges.
But so originally MM5 allowed you to completely import the party from MM4 (and not a conversion like between MM1 and MM2) or did it allow you to start with a high level party? Because I hope the second world is balanced otherwise the first dungeons won't offer me any challenge.
The way it's balanced you get a harder start than MM 4 but still doable at 1st level, while enemies and quests provide like 10-100x as much XP as you'd expect so that you're done with the first region with more XP than all of MM4
Thanks to both of you. I started Darkside using the pyramid just outside Vertigo. Then I remembered that I could also train in the castle and I managed to get the party to level 20!

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
lukaszek: no.
Mm6: get notorious reputation. The trainer lives in paradise valley village. But try to make sure you learn master light FIRST
MM7: just level the skill up to lev7, the Master trainer lady lives with the Lich promotion quest Lich
MM8: some lady in shadowspire

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
MM4-5 World of Xeen
Folks, this is big,
While working on my patch and doing tons of tests, I realized that monsters' elemental resistance for Fire, Elec, Cold, Poison AND Energy DO NOT WORK. At all.
Only their physical resistance and magic resistance works. As I said earlier, magic resistance gives them a chance to outright evade your spells, at 100 they are 100% immune.
Values go from 0 to 100 (in hexm this is 0x64)
No matter what, all 5 values always act like they are close to 30 (maybe...hard to say), They all have a chance to halve your spells even if it says 0,
but spells will always land and do some damage (as long as they don't evade it due to their Magic resistance score, which does work).

The best way to test it is in the dragon cave, Fire dragons are supposed to be immune to fire and 0 to everything else, ditto for Cold dragons (cold).
I just killed fire dragons using incinerate, and killed cold dragons using frostbite, cold ray and fantastic freeze.

I'm playing the floppy version. Can anyone here test it , preferably using the CD version?

I have both versions installed, but no save games for the CD version, and my floppy-version save files are incompatible to the CD version, the game doesn't recognize it.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
EDIT: (can no longer edit the last post): what I just said regarding 100 magic resist (0x64) might still allow for Mass Distortion to work, as someone else on GOG told me.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
lukaszek: no.
Mm6: get notorious reputation. The trainer lives in paradise valley village. But try to make sure you learn master light FIRST
ahh, no even need to go beyond rank4.

In unrelated news my solo sorc started strong, first monster kill was in new sorpigal through master armageddon. Important distinction as I had to stab a bunch of pheasants in blackshire first to gain notoriety. Lvl15, barely had enough sp after using nwc stat boost. I think im gonna plow through places, not turning quests in, so I can continue clearing outdoors easily.

Kayato

Literate
MM4-5 World of Xeen
Folks, this is big,
While working on my patch and doing tons of tests, I realized that monsters' elemental resistance for Fire, Elec, Cold, Poison AND Energy DO NOT WORK. At all.
Only their physical resistance and magic resistance works. As I said earlier, magic resistance gives them a chance to outright evade your spells, at 100 they are 100% immune.
No matter what, all 5 values always act like they are close to 30 (maybe...hard to say), They all have a chance to halve your spells even if it says 0,
but spells will always land and do some damage (as long as they don't evade it due to their Magic resistance score, which does work).

The best way to test it is in the dragon cave, Fire dragons are supposed to be immune to fire and 0 to everything else, ditto for Cold dragons (cold).
I just killed fire dragons using incinerate, and killed cold dragons using frostbite, cold ray and fantastic freeze.

I'm playing the floppy version. Can anyone here test it , preferably using the CD version?

I have both versions installed, but no save games for the CD version, and my floppy-version save files are incompatible to the CD version, the game doesn't recognize it.
Damn I did the dragon cave just a couple of days ago. I'm using the gog version of WoX and it allows me to choose at the beginning whether to start the floppy or cd version (I'm using the cd version) I could try with a new party and jump directly there by changing the parameters a bit just to survive! But I can tell you that I tried "Dragon sleep" 5-6 times and it never worked.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
MM4-5 World of Xeen
Folks, this is big,

Damn I did the dragon cave just a couple of days ago. I'm using the gog version of WoX and it allows me to choose at the beginning whether to start the floppy or cd version (I'm using the cd version) I could try with a new party and jump directly there by changing the parameters a bit just to survive! But I can tell you that I tried "Dragon sleep" 5-6 times and it never worked.

You can test it with Slimes, Doom Bugs and Breeder slimes from the very first town, and the spell Toxic Cloud.
According to the monster data tables, they should be immune to poison.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
CONFIRMED.

The bug also exists on the CD full speech version.

Toxic Cloud works perfectly fine on all 3 enemies in vertigo, which are supposed to be immune to poison.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Nobody has ever noticed being able to kill fire elementals with fire?
I've noticed before that a lot of games, if they have the placebo effect of difficulty, people assume that they're difficult without ever trying anything different. That said, shouldn't people have noticed something was up when someone worked against, say, something with 50% immunity to something rather than 100%? You'd be a fool to cast a fireball spell against a fire elemental, but against something with weaker resistances...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom