Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Spirit Engine 2 demo released

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: The Spirit Engine 2

No, it's not a game engine. It's actually a game. <a href="http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-download.html">It's sort of an RPG side-scrolling thing and it has</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>An extensive plot spanning nine distinct chapters. History is unravelling in the once peaceful state of Lereftain. Murderous cults are running unchecked through the streets, parliament is bickering, tension is building with old enemies in the west and the country's inhuman rulers seem to be losing control of the situation. Three citizens who find their paths crossing in an act of charity one dark night will find themselves burdened with the responsibilty of not only defending the nation but deciding whether to save civilisation as they know it.
<br>
<br>
All new and improved original graphics. Simple yet effective new effects, including parallax scrolling and screen-shake.
<br>
<br>
The introduction of something sorely missing from the original - difficulty levels! Play at a level to suit you and either lock it there or feel free to change it as and when you like.
<br>
<br>
An improved real-time combat system which builds upon the simplicity of the original. With an improved interface, greater control over characters, combat speed options and action synchronisation controls to make battles more tactical and more fun.
<br>
<br>
New game combat mechanics such as automatic character recovery, party chains and combination strike damage bonuses.
<br>
<br>
New, varied character skills to play with, including targetted attacks and debuffs, and a whole host of crafty, unfriendly creatures to use them on.
<br>
<br>
A vast stock of equipable items with new abilities.</blockquote>
<br>
The lesson there is to never be charitable. You always end up having to save the world. You can also <a href="http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse1.html">download the complete original The Spirit Engine</a> as freeware if you think you might even be remotely interested.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>larpingdude14</b>!

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Not in the truest sense, since it wasn't made in japan, but yeah.

It was a crap game really. I wouldn't have minded it so much if the perspective didn't make it so incredibly linear - its impossible to avoid fights, and gameplay basically consists of walking left or right until you reach something you have to fight. Then one of your characters might say something according to their 'personality,' and the game grinds inevitably on from there. Did it even have any side quests?

Aikanaro

Liturgist
I didn't find the first one enjoyable at all. In fact, it was painful, which is a pity because I like the concept of side-scrolling RPGs (not that it's really a good concept seeing how strongly it favours linearity, but you could do interesting things with it).

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I don't see why. A game designed more like Prince of Persia (ie. you can move up and down as well as side to side. Just like in every other bloody platformer) could easily be non linear. I mean, even Commander Keen had 'press up to go through doors,' moments, right?

What I'm trying to say is, it was the designer's lack of imagination that crippled the game, not the format.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom