Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thunderscape

gamefan

Scholar
It owns even though its old, has anyone else played it besides me?

I know mareus played it actually. :arrow: :?: :twisted: :roll: :oops: :lol: :shock:

Binary

Liturgist
I played this but I never got the hang of it. It wasn't a bad game, had a phased combat like Wizardry and quite a few classes/races to choose from

I remember there were some skill checks in the game, like a "troll" character you find early in the game where if you have someone diplomatic enough, he'll join the party searching for his club, otherwise he'll just attack (note, played this a long time ago so details may be off)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The troll was Bert. And he was one bad motherfucker in combat.

I remember this too. Never got through it. Tried it again with DOSBox, but my party would jump 100 meters vertically and die if they stepped down stairs.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Back in 1995 they said it was an ugly average at best rpg if you were in need of one. Im not sure if it has gotten any better since. But I guess I could pick this and entomorph too just to complete my ad&d collection.

Mareus

Magister
gamefan said:

I know mareus played it actually. :arrow: :?: :twisted: :roll: :oops: :lol: :shock:

I played it alright and I actually owned the original. Lost it somewhere. Might I ask you where did you manage to get it?? I have been searching it for ages! I found some free version without the sound, but it's just not the same without sound.

gamefan

Scholar
Mareus said:
gamefan said:

I played it alright and I actually owned the original. Lost it somewhere. Might I ask you where did you manage to get it! I have been searching it for ages? I found some free version without the sound, but it's just not the same without sound.
I got my copy in 1996 or so, i havnt played it in a long time so, i dont remember where it is which is to bad.

Try ebay though :roll:

mondblut

Arcane
It was pretty good. It pioneered the "realtime 3d FPS movement and tb combat" concept later used in Wizardry8, W&W and M&M6+ (and, of course, couldn't avoid a temptation to put at least one case of arcade jumps over abyss inside, curse them). Also had excellent game mechanics (one of the first truly classless RPGs, the archetype "classes" presented were just prebuilt selections of skills), nice dark setting with a steampunk touch (steam golems, primitive firearms and so on) and a slew of cool items.

For early "newschool" dungeon crawlers you couldn't get any better. Too bad SSI followed it with that crappy action-adventure Entomorph and then dropped World of Aden altogether.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Mareus said:
I played it alright and I actually owned the original. Lost it somewhere. Might I ask you where did you manage to get it?? I have been searching it for ages! I found some free version without the sound, but it's just not the same without sound.

I just bought both aden games for 25€ total (shipping included). There are several copies left still in both amazon.com and ebay.com. Former even has one factory sealed one left.

Binary

Liturgist
Entomorph has one of the best RPG soundtracks ever. Get the CD if at least for the soundtrack

Mareus

Magister
Will do. I still have to finish it and I never had a chance. Christ I was a kid when I played it and I remember I couldn't get pass those riddles on the upper floor. Back then I didn't have internet and my english wasn't so good, but I remember how surprised with the music I was.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
mondblut said:
It pioneered the "realtime 3d FPS movement and tb combat" concept later used in Wizardry8, W&W and M&M6+
Really?
I had no idea. I always assumed that it was fully real-time like Arena or Daggerfall.

Awesome, another good oldie to check out (and HOTU has it as well).

Binary

Liturgist
mondblut said:
It was pretty good. It pioneered the "realtime 3d FPS movement and tb combat" concept later used in Wizardry8, W&W and M&M6+

True, good point

mondblut said:
For early "newschool" dungeon crawlers you couldn't get any better. Too bad SSI followed it with that crappy action-adventure Entomorph and then dropped World of Aden altogether.

I wouldn't call Entomorph crap. Sure, I don't like action adventure either, but the story is interesting, the world is nice (an insect populated tropical world) and the soundtrack, as I mentioned, wonderful.

gamefan

Scholar
Mareus said:
Will do. I still have to finish it and I never had a chance. Christ I was a kid when I played it and I remember I couldn't get pass those riddles on the upper floor. Back then I didn't have internet and my english wasn't so good, but I remember how surprised with the music I was.
Heh i know what you mean, I put around 30 hours into he game and i only got to level 9 out of 20.

The second level of the dwarven mines, little fat bastards know how to make a maze thats for sure.

And yeah the music in the game was great.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
mondblut said:
It pioneered the "realtime 3d FPS movement and tb combat" concept later used in Wizardry8, W&W and M&M6+
Really?
I had no idea. I always assumed that it was fully real-time like Arena or Daggerfall.

At first I didnt believe it could pioneer anything since ultima underworld was released 3 years earlier and it had all that "realtime 3d FPS movement" but it was not turn-based so that explains it.

Binary said:
I wouldn't call Entomorph crap. Sure, I don't like action adventure either, but the story is interesting, the world is nice (an insect populated tropical world) and the soundtrack, as I mentioned, wonderful.

It received good reviews too like 85% and was branded as rpg-adventure with good music, nice graphics and interesting story. It was an improvement over the previous game Al-Quadim that was similar adventure game made with the same engine. Heres few pics of Entomorph:
http://www.pelit.fi/uploads/pics/1290-iso3.jpg
http://www.pelit.fi/uploads/pics/1290-iso1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom