Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Timberborn - a beaver colony city builder with water physics and verticality - now on Early Access

odrzut

Arcane
https://mechanistry.com

https://af.gog.com/game/timberborn?as=1649904300

It recently released on Early Access. I've played on last weekend and it seems very promising - landscape matters a lot and you can edit it, water flow is everything because plants can only grow near water and there are droughts every few days so you have to build bigger and bigger dams to survive.

The building part is quite involved (you can build stairs and ramps and stack buildings on top of each other, add decorations, build waterwheels and axles to power buildings). Everything's 3d and verticality matters. It's reminds me of the best parts of dwarf fortress (but with reasonable ui).

But there's no micromanagement and no combat or artifact creation, just city building and surviving the droughts or building megaprojects.

timberborn-early-access-pc-mac-game-steam-wallpaper-4.jpg

Timberborn-Screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

odrzut

Arcane
So I played some more and noticed some limitations. It seems the engine can't handle 2 independent bodies of water 1 above another, so they restricted buildings to make it impossible to happen. So you cannot have a levy build on top of a platform for example. Kinda sucks (you cannot make aqueduct intersect a river for example) and it's unlikely to be fixed if I'm right about the reason for this restriction.

Still a fun game, i played around 80 hours at this point and I think I'm done till they introduce new content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom