Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I got Torchlight and while I'm playing I'm going "i want to play diablo 2"

It's a good enough game, it's Diablo 2 Lite. I started playing Vanquisher and my second favorite class was trapsadin in d2 so I went the traps tree, but it doesn't seem to work very well (I play on Hard). The skills system was a lot more flexible, however I"m not sure if i should be putting points into dexterity and defense or magic and defense or all three or what. The problem with d2, I always thought, was there were so many superfluous skills that you never actually used, you just used one or two skills per character type and the rest was for synergy bonuses.

First time I played D2 I didn't read any guides or anything I just made a Paladin and went Fire Aura. Fire aura sucks pretty much so my character struggled and I couldn't really do the hard modes without chugging potions just because I didn't do a lot of damage. I thought that was kind of gay.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Best diablo clone I've ever played was a diablo 2 mod called median XL. Changes a fuckton of stuff and is, overall, much better. Just read a bunch of skill descriptions to get an idea (The monsters have similiarly wtf skills.) http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/ Still has craploads of issues though. But if anything, the number of skills you'll need to use at once to be effective is too many. I got 12 hotkeyed on my unholy melee paladin and I'm still missing out on a couple useful ones. Of course, some builds are retardedly simple.

Torchlight started kinda lame and just got worse as I went on. Maybe they've fixed the balance since I played, but even with that, it's so bland. Most of the skills are very boring and don't do anything cool or creative at all. You can change your pet to something different but only temporarily.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I played up to the first major boss (with cutscene of big evil guy powering him up) of Torchlight. It was kind of fun. Then I played some bonus level that was as long and boring as any of the main dungeon levels. Then I got bored and quit. I think I only made it that far because I stuck to a max of a level per day.

I enjoyed it up to that point, but I knew where to quit. I'm not a big fan of Diablo or its clones.

Xi

Arcane
I think the consensus is that Titan Quest was the only moderately good Action game on the level of D2. I've played the demo and it did seem rather pointless. Still, it's probably a good way to mindlessly kill time.

Also, it's so reminiscent of Fate that if you've played Fate, you'll think of Torchlight as an upgraded version. Kind of like D2 + LOD.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Vanquisher you probably just want to put it mostly in Dexterity. Defense only really matters if you're playing Very Hard/Hardcore modes.

As far as the game itself -- it is good for what it is at a bargain price. It doesn't pretend to have a fully fleshed story a la Diablo or Titan Quest.

Multi-headed Cow

Metro said:
As far as the game itself -- it is good for what it is at a bargain price. It doesn't pretend to have a fully fleshed story a la Diablo or Titan Quest.
That. It's a fun game for bashing monsters and picking up increasingly larger numbers attached to items. Some people play solitaire or mahjong for hours to space out and mindlessly game, other people like D2/TQ/TL/Borderlands for it. Though admittedly D2 and to a lesser degree TQ and Borderlands have more depth if you want to focus on them more. TL's the best for spacing out though in my opinion.

Kraszu

Prophet
Back to Hellfire mod for D2 is good. It is not ridiculously easy even in first act so you actually have to pay attention to not die often. I had played with:
Blood wizzard:
Fun but little overpowered at the start, it all depends on how fast you will get better offensive spell. You have to use teleport, and other defensive spell (self bone prison) often later on. In bigger dificulty levels you will start to make too little dmg. Fighting with bosses on hard get tedious so I had stopped playing there.
Warrior:
Maybe I was little unlucky with books(you gains skills by readings book that you find), but since act II I had did so pitiful dmg that it took way too long to kill single enemy, and I had to re-feel potions (whole inventory) every 5 minutes so meh from that point so I didn;t play longer I didn't want to grind.
Barbarian:
Just best balanced class. I advice to play with it first. All of his offensive attacks are useful in diferent situations. Little number of skills that are useless later on (important becouse of the books system).

http://bth.hugelaser.com/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think the harder level you play on the rarer good item drops are -- but you are right in that eventually I only got 'excited' about the legendary/gold/unique/whatever they were drops. I still put 100ish hours into and will probably revisit it again in the future because, as MHC put it, it's a form of solitaire. That said within the year they should be putting out a free-to-play MMO and/or sequel that will have a story line, overworld, towns, various dungeons, better talent trees, etc. so hopefully they'll fill in the gaps they left in the original. I believe they are going to make an announcement at Gamescon or PAX or one of those upcoming events.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Never got into torchlight. I was excited about it at first, but the more I got into the talent trees, the shallower the game turned out to be. Hate to be a fanboy, but Diablo is the best HnS game there is. I've yet to play a single HnS game, that is in the same vein as Diablo, and has come even cloes to being even slightly enjoyable. They are all just shallow and pale into comparison.

Metro said:
I think the harder level you play on the rarer good item drops are

Yes, and the game is easy enough on hardest anyway, so there's no reason not to play on it. You still get a good influx of unique items, but since I like getting new loot in a loot-based game, I'm not complaining. It's a matter of taste, though.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Hobo Elf said:
Never got into torchlight. I was excited about it at first, but the more I got into the talent trees, the shallower the game turned out to be. Hate to be a fanboy, but Diablo is the best HnS game there is. I've yet to play a single HnS game, that is in the same vein as Diablo, and has come even cloes to being even slightly enjoyable. They are all just shallow and pale into comparison.
While I think the depth of Diablo 2 is a bit of an illusion (referring to what I said before about there being maybe one or two spells per tree you could actually use and then you just skill up others for synergy or tech tree purposes) this is really what has made me have trouble enjoying Torchlight.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I played it for about three hours and uninstalled. It's a horrible waste of time without any substance to it.

MisterStone

Arcane
People have been saying that Din's Curse is like torchlight etc. but that it is actually about winning the game, not engaging in an infinite Progress Quest Redux XXV. I wonder if it is worthwhile?

kazgar

Arcane
Just "finished" this, had to force myself at the end as it got pretty darn repetitive from about halfway through, maybe I'm just over clickfests after doing this straight after titan's quest (which I really enjoyed), but at least that one it felt like a reason to stick on and get to the next area. The minimal story really held it back. That silly endless dungeon or whatever its called is now open, but i think i'm moving onto something else.

Rogue

Educated
I got bored of it pretty quick. Extremely repetititve and it wasn't really challenging, my mage archer/mage, whatever the class is, disintigrated everything before it got close, even on hard. Basically what Awor Szurkrarz said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom