Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totalvideogames.com tries to polish a turd

LlamaGod

Cipher
<strong>[ Game -> Interview ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.totalvideogames.com">Totalvideogames.com</a> posted an interview trying to hype the game that is pretty much the sum of everything wrong with the games industry, <a href="http://www.ea.com/official/lordoftherings/bfme2/us/home.jsp">Battle for Middle Earth 2</a>
Here's a few fun bits and, like always, it starts off with a PLOP:

<blockquote>Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II is the sequel to the critically acclaimed RTS game of the same name with the byline of 'now gamers more than ever have the chance to experience all that Middle-Earth was meant to be'.</blockquote>
Who critically acclaimed it? Also, the line about 'expericing all that Middle-Earth was ment to be' line reminds me of that 'This is the game Fallout fans have been waiting for' line.

<blockquote>This War in the North is roughly concurrent with the events shown in the three films - with some battles happening before or after. If the player chooses to play the Evil campaign, he will control Sauron's vast armies of Orcs, Trolls, Corsairs, and Nazgul - as well as a huge horde of Goblins and a host of corrupted creatures like giant spiders, drakes, and Giants.</blockquote>
Drakes?? Also, when have giants been evil? O rite, when they decided they wern't going to put any effort into the licence and instead make a bland fantasy RTS with an xbox360 port and a book's title on the cover.

<blockquote>SAGE is the proprietary EA RTS engine. Our engine underwent a major overhaul as we switched over to a shader based pipeline, a significant improvement that unlocks a visual potential we weren't able to reach with the technology present in BFME1. Some of the improvements under the hood include a new terrain renderer, normal mapping, specularity, perspective shadows, distance hazing, an overhauled and optimized particle system, palette post-effects,</blockquote>
I'm glad gameplay is a primary concern for them.

<blockquote>We're adding "build anywhere" for basic faction structures, which means that players can build their structures anywhere on the map, not just on the little build plots we gave players in the first game.</blockquote>
Quite unique for an RTS, yes of course.

<blockquote>There is a certain universal and timeless appeal to the RTS genre - I think people like the idea of playing the role of commander, of ordering armies into battles that unfold right in front of them in an immersive 3D world. I know I played strategy games from the days I was a kid and the transition from paper games to turn-based computer games to real-time strategy was a smooth continuum.</blockquote>
Ugh.

Anyways, read the rest of this steaming heap <a href="http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Battle_for_Middle-Earth_II_Feature_9095_4965_0_0_0_0_20.htm">here.</a> and for some giggles, look at what phrases the interviewer decided were important enough to emphasis by making them large and bold and seperate from the dialog.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I think the developers made the first BFME so limited and crappy just so that when the inevitable sequel came 'round, they could boast about all the "new" features they're adding.

Anonymous

They have Dragons and even the Balrog in the game, too.

'now gamers more than ever have the chance to experience all that Middle-Earth was meant to be'... Yeah, ok.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I think they had the Balrog in the first game, too. If you had enough points or whatever, you could summon him. Sauron, too. That's right, you can summon fucking Sauron.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Just some nitpicks about the OP. Giants are mentioned by Tolkien (they live in the Misty Mountains) and are evil. Drakes are also mentioned by Tolkien but it's just an alternative name for dragon (Tolkien isn't consistent with his terminology re. dragons, much like the orcs/goblins thing which this game manages to screw up royally).

Game is still going to suck though.

Anonymous

Perhaps the most mysterious of the races of Middle-earth, Giants are mentioned only fleetingly by Tolkien, but sufficiently often to show that they did exist in his world.

Notes

1 The only definite sighting of giants occurred during Bilbo's journey through the Misty Mountains, in the year III 2941. That they had a history preceding this is certain, because we have a reference to ancient bears living in the Misty Mountains '...before the giants came.' (The Hobbit 7 'Queer Lodgings'). What became of the giants is entirely unknown: apart from a few very vague references in The Lord of the Rings, they are never mentioned again.
2 Where the giants came from is a mystery. They don't seem to fit at all easily into Tolkien's universe, but there are some possible explanations.

The first of these is the simplest - that they didn't actually exist. As Bilbo and his friends travelled through the Mountains, they encountered a thunderstorm, and Tolkien says, '...across the valley the stone-giants were out, and were hurling rocks at one another for a game...' (The Hobbit 4 'Over Hill and Under Hill'). This could just be a metaphor for the crashing of the thunder and lightning, and if so, it's possible that there were no giants at all. In truth, though, this seems a rather unlikely possibility, and the characters in The Hobbit certainly behave as if the giants are real. Thorin is even worried about being picked up by them, and much later Gandalf suggests finding a friendly giant to deal with the goblins in the Mountains.

If we presume that the giants were real - and they do seem to have been - the next possibility to consider is that they might have belonged in some way to the race of Men. This isn't as far-fetched as it might seem. We do know, for instance, that both Hobbits and Drûgs were distantly related to Men. If a very small type of Man - the Hobbit - could develop, why not an especially large type as well? There is some slight support for this possibility among the drafts of The Lord of the Rings, where we're told that '...giants were spoken of, a Big Folk only far bigger and stronger than Men the [?ordinary] Big Folk...' (The History of Middle-earth volume VI, The Return of the Shadow XV 'Ancient History').

If it's possible that giants were a type of Men, it's at least equally possible that they were actually Ents. After all, in its ultimate origins Ent is just an Anglo-Saxon word for 'giant', and in his original conception, Tolkien referred, for example, to 'the Giant Treebeard'. What's more, in Pippin's description of the destruction of Isengard, we hear that the Ents were '...hurling avalanches of boulders down the shafts, tossing up huge slabs of stone into the air like leaves.' The Two Towers III 9 'Flotsam and Jetsam'). This is more than a little reminiscent of Bilbo's encounter in the Misty Mountains.

It's important to remember that, at the time he was writing The Hobbit, Tolkien was engaged in writing a simple children's story. It's unlikely that he gave much thought to fitting the giants into a larger scheme. Indeed, at that point, the Ents did not even exist in his imagination, so any later explanation - if indeed he devised one at all - must have been fitted to the facts after the event.

Seems to me that the experts think they may not even existed at all, and even if they did, they are probably just big Men. So tell me how they are evil. This is just more proof that they are just in the game for the retards to go OMYGOSH GIANTS.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Encyclopedia of Arda isn't a good source for discussing Middle-Earth in detail. They have a long list of errata which makes many of us laugh at them and that they even mention the possibility that they aren't 'real' within Tolkien's world is risible unless one wants to consider The Hobbit as a non-canonical work about Middle-Earth. ;)

The big men theory is no more supported than the large troll or nature spirit theories. There is no 'probably' to it. The quote (which even EoA admits is tenuous) is meaningless because it's written from the perspective of a hobbit. Not as an authoritative comment by the author.

Their alignment is taken from Gandalf's comment that he might find "a more or less decent giant" to block up the entrance to Goblin's Gate and the known actions of the giants eg waylaying travellers.

All you've done Dragonman is proven to me that Encyclopedia of Arda is still as useless as ever for anything but the most basic of information on Middle Earth (it's also useful to cite sources when you cut and paste info, I can recognise the stink of EoA though and they are by no means experts).

The game may suck, but trying to beat them with this stick is wrong; they've got it right about the lore in this case.

Anonymous

Mefi, think about it. It's sloppy to put a unit in a game that only has up to like 4 sentances written about them. even IF they were the 'big mean evil trolls' (which they aren't, they are probably just 'rough n' tuff', like Gandalfs comment could mean) who says they would be on Saurons side? the Balrog and drakes are 'evil', yet they don't do shit for Sauron. Everyone knows the Hobbit was a premature work and Tolkien may never have even meant for giants to be in his world, because it was just a childrens story. That's why this game sucks donkey cock and is for people that like all the dumb stuff.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
baby arm said:
Wow, you guys are almost as bad as yipsl talking about TES.
No.
No they're not.
Yipsl occupies a level of geekdom that few can reach.

I missed that thread (about Yipsl and his missus) during the holiday period so only just read it, and believe me talking about Tolkien lore in detail does not anywhere near approach the level of Yipsl's geekness. TES was bad enough, but...

VasikkA

Liturgist
LotR setting aside, I'd like to know what makes this game a strategy game in contrast to the usual resource management RTSs. Sadly, most RTSs are ultimately about collecting as much resources as possible and utilize them to build an unstoppable army and march them into the enemy stronghold/s. Then repeat this in 15 missions. It'd do good for the genre to ditch resources and focus on the main beef, combat, instead. OR to do like in Total War; manage resources in a large scale strategic view and leave the sword clashing goodness to a separate combat mode.

Official website said:
Command all the races of Middle-earth with 3 all new factions including Elves, Dwarves, and Goblins.
If the LotR setting doesn't scare you away, this does.

Build your own landmark castle with fully customizable and upgradeable fortresses and walls.
Well, I always thought upgrading your palace was the most fun part in Civilization, so I guess it's OK.

Create your own hero with all new customized RTS units that are your avatars in-game.
What a great "improvement".

Control battles with all-new enemy AI, melee combat, and flanking, adding unprecedented tactical fidelity
They forgot 'attacks that make no sense because the AI exceeds the mental capabilities of the player'.

Master next-gen unit control with smart formations, battle lines, and planning mode.
Apparently 'Master next-gen' in gaming terms means 'as previously seen in Total War'.

Control the entire war with a high level "Risk" style meta-game on the Living World Map with all new strategic AI .
This must be a master next-gen feature too, I assume.

Extend your battlefield with larger than life navy battles at sea
Larger than life? I DON THINK SO, Warcraft II had AIR combat. Beat that EA.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I think a small squad-tactics Myth II game would be more suited to Middle-Earth/LOTR than an RTS. Or a grand-strategy game like Medieval: Total War but a regular RTS just doesn't bode well. You have your major cities where troops are trained and produced, not little camps all over the place where you pump out 100 units at the most. LOTR battles should be in the fucking ten thousands and that would be horrible in an standard AOE type RTS.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Dragonman said:
Mefi, think about it. It's sloppy to put a unit in a game that only has up to like 4 sentances written about them. even IF they were the 'big mean evil trolls' (which they aren't, they are probably just 'rough n' tuff', like Gandalfs comment could mean) who says they would be on Saurons side? the Balrog and drakes are 'evil', yet they don't do shit for Sauron. Everyone knows the Hobbit was a premature work and Tolkien may never have even meant for giants to be in his world, because it was just a childrens story. That's why this game sucks donkey cock and is for people that like all the dumb stuff.

I agree with nothing but the last part of the last sentence. "This game sucks donkey cock and is for people that like all the dumb stuff". ;)

Being a tad more serious, sure I agree about putting giants into the game is scraping the barrel. But then summoning a balrog or Sauron is equally as dumb in a late third age/early fourth age setting. How they've impemented may be incredibly crap but they haven't got the lore wrong.

I'm a nerd. And I smell
D:

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
I am proud.

I mean, total strangers use it D:

At some point, there was even a channel D: on gamesnet. But it was owned by some crazy Norses and I got banned from it.

I used to copy/paste what they were saying into #fallout and ahd a few conversations with Nico. Nico even thought I spoke his crazy language for a while D:

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
I think a small squad-tactics Myth II game would be more suited to Middle-Earth/LOTR than an RTS. Or a grand-strategy game like Medieval: Total War but a regular RTS just doesn't bode well. You have your major cities where troops are trained and produced, not little camps all over the place where you pump out 100 units at the most. LOTR battles should be in the fucking ten thousands and that would be horrible in an standard AOE type RTS.

I think a Master of Magic-style game in the LOTR universe would have a lot of potential.

Of course Tolkien was never writing with franchising in mind, so having really really huge battles and everything would be rather tough to "harmonize" with the lore. I think they should come out with novelizations of Jackson's movies like they did with Planet of the Apes. Then they can ass-rape the setting all they want and the munchkins would never notice or care. Besides, Tolkien's book like uses too many long words, LOLZ. Mybe they c@n u53 l33tsp3@k to r1t3 1t so the kids can actually understand what the hell that old crotchety dinosaur was blabbering on about.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
D: seems to have ended up as an Internet phenomenon. I keep seeing people use it all over the place. D:

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Let's create a wiki article about it, Nico!

D: - created by two famous spammers, Nicolai and Susan.

It should also have a key on then ew keyboards.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I think a Master of Magic-style game in the LOTR universe would have a lot of potential.
Oh, I agree. A MoM LOTR game would kick ass, but I think Middle-Earth: Total War would be much better suited due to all the epic battles and such. The focus of it should not be building up your base and readying for battles, but the battles themselves since they are easily the best part of the books and the movies unless you like reading about how the mountains were crafted in the 1st age or whatever.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Wow, did you even read the books, Naked? The main and best parts were mainly the adventuring of all the characters when they're splitted in different groups.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Yeah, let's go for it. B)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom