Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TT Isle Of Man: Ride on the Edge

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Does either 2 or 3 have better physics than the first entry?
I really like the track, but the physics feel just unpredictable and wrong.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Sukhāvatī?
I can't finish a single lap in the original game without crashing, even if I try to take it slow. It seems random, no idea how else to explain it (and I know the course by now). Has that gotten better with one of the sequels?

Falksi

Arcane
Preview build videos:

VR would be fun.

When he says "Manx TT is the best ever biking experience by a mile" he's not wrong. Had a blast on it a few months ago again, and it's a crying shame that arcades like these aren't as common any more, as they fucking blow away 95% of the stuff we get now...

CKSNDOe.jpg

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Sukhāvatī?
I can't finish a single lap in the original game without crashing, even if I try to take it slow. It seems random, no idea how else to explain it (and I know the course by now). Has that gotten better with one of the sequels?
I've only played the second so I can't say, but the physics are meant to be improved in every version afaik.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
After sinking a couple dozen hours in TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2 (or TTIoMRofE2 when you're in a slight hurry), here are my thoughts.

The big one :
The Snaefell Mountain Course is the focus of the game and it shows. The circuit is beautiful and has a very precise and awesome 3D modelling. You can buy the game only to race this track and will get well enough for your money, it is frankly impressive and when watching bikers filming the TT with onboard cameras you recognize everything everywhere and most of their comments can apply to the game.

The outsiders :
There are two other playfields : England, a collection of small tracks of various styles but nothing superlative about it, and Ireland, a large free-roam map with assorted landmarks where sections can be closed to create new tracks. They are usually larger than English ones and prettier too, arguably more technical too but I like them more. Not a fan of doing laps on a 3km tracks but at least they thought of everybody. Free-roaming is good to test new bikes and vent, touring curiosities, athough the "free" part ends with asphalt and trying to ride to the beach or across the hills will reset you to the road. Kind of a fun killer but hey, at least it's there.

At dawn, we ride ! (also noon and dusk)
I am no polycount whore or nex-gen graphics afficionado, though I do care about artistic direction and overall care. And while individual models have a certain plastic feel, overall the game is gorgeous. Lights effects are beautiful, coming from forest darkness to a plateau showered in sun rays never gets old, and the overall tone is pleasantly realistic. Having the sun in your face is a real drawback, Manx moors bathing in mist is a sight to behold and all the towns and buildings you pass at 200km/h are well modeled and could warrant a slow lap simply to enjoy the scenery. Soundscape is also good, with the sound of wind that reverb on props. All great.
But the engine sucks a little, has a forced 60fps count and can suffer from micro-stuttering at times. There are Steam guides to fix it (in short : force 60fps in your GPU software), and well enough graphics settings to accommodate all hardware, but come on.

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like, It's got a basket, a bell that rings, And things to make it look good. I'd give it to you if I could, but I crashed it in Kerrowmoar turn.
There is a decent rooster of bikes in three categories : supersports, monstrous superbikes and classical ones. You can choose freely from either for quick play. They all seem to be well-modeled, not that I know anything about bikes, and there should be enough choice to please everybody. You can then unlock or buy upgrades for them in career mode, some higher tier parts allowing you to fiddle with gearbox ratios or suspension settings for example. Upgrading is very arcade-y, parts are tiers A B C D S and getting higher is always better. No real room for compromise or part synergy. There is no damage model on bikes, but considering that the average crash will send you straight to the grave it is no big deal.

Did you know you could actually ride the bikes ?
Yes you can. And that's a mixed bag. On one hand high speed driving is exhilarating and unforgiving, with lot to learn and master. On the other low speed is comically bad, the lower the worst. Taking hairpins is always stressful because you never know how the engine will react. Usually you end up turning on yourself, sometimes you swerve in some random way. You never really feel you're on a bike, more like you're some swinging bullet train. The default sticks settings are terrible and you MUST spend some time tinkering with sensitivity and deadzone to find an acceptable middle-ground. There default control scheme is not very good, I'd recommend using the "classic" one with gear change on LB and RB and throttle on right stick, removing all other controls stupidly bound to it.
The good news is that there are several difficulty settings you can change at will with no impact on game or progress. You can tailor all that mess to find your favorite experience and have good fun. Except at low speed.

Sitting on laps is a clever way to make career :
There is a career mode. You choose a starting bike and play seasons, each around 20 races you can enter or discard. Depending on your sponsor you get money or parts by fulfilling objectives : noobs such as myself can choose to complete a certain number of races, regardless on your final position or on how many time you wrecked your bike, spine and self-esteem. Good players can play for points or reputation. Entering enough Irish Trophy races can get you signatures to enter the big bad Tourist Trophy at the end of the season, but you can still race the track or some sections in other events. You unlock boons and money to buy bikes and parts and liveries, as well as new challenges on the free-roam map, each of them giving you more shiny stuff to plaster to your bike and run head first into some concrete post. Overall it is laid back and fun, and considering you usually buy the game to play the Snaefell Mountain Course (what you can do anytime in quick race mode) it is a nice bonus.

Full contact motorcycling !
Feels pretty good isn't it ? What could ruin such a nice experience ? Well there's must always be one show stopper and that time it's the AI. It is infuriating. They run on rails and will not hesitate to ram your ass full speed if you have the insolence of staying in front of them in corners. They always have wondrous acceleration without wheelies, a kamikaze approach to turns, are incredibly stable, and while you can manage to send them in the meadows most of the time you'll be the one flying at the smallest shock. They do crash themselves at time but respawn very quickly. Higher difficulty level seems to be only higher average speed. I wish you could remove collision with them and not have to deal with robotic psychopaths plowing their way in. Unfair and unfun, this is hands down the worst point of the game. Thankfully the time trial races and the possibility to choose the number of opponents in quick race mode allow you to run for fun when you're not in fight-club mood.

TL;DR
This is a nice game that is very pleasant to launch when you're in the mood for racing in beautiful and challenging tracks, with no hassle or complex setup. Learning your way around the 60 kilometers of Snaefell Mountain Course is a terrific experience well worth itself buying the game, driving gets real fun at high-speed and overall this is a nicely wrapped-up package that delivers its promise. If you could mount machine-guns on your bike to dispatch the AI it would be perfect, otherwise it is a :4/5:.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems I just had to write this review to complete my first Snaefell lap without falling once. Ended up with a mediocre 21 minutes, but I'm getting the hang of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom