Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn off Hardware Acceleration Automatically?

ever

Scholar
You know going into your display properties there is a "troubleshoot" tab where you can turn hardware acceleration down via a slider in winxp?

Well what I wanna know is there anyway I can make it so when I run a game this slider automatically turns itself down and then turns itself up when I exit?

I expected something like that to be in the compatibility options when I make a shortcut but no.

ever

Scholar
I'm doing it with IWD2 as the game doesn't support opengl and doesn't seem to like how my graphics card (4850) handles old school D3D and DDraw and stuff, so it stutters with hardware acceleration on.

With hardware acceleration turned down to one away from bottom the game runs fine though. But its kinda annoying doing that manually and reverting manually every time I start up and exit the game

ever

Scholar
Thanks for those links!

I created a batch file that does the work for me, based on the stuff some other guys did in those links. Its ugly seeing command prompt pop up like that but w/e it was uglier doing it manually.

Code:
:: Disable Video Acceleration (4=one from bottom)
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1BAC3F99-29A8-4566-B2CC-2E7F6E1F4726}\0000" /v Acceleration.Level /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

start /wait "" "IWD2.exe"

:: Enable Video Acceleration (0=full acceleration)
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{1BAC3F99-29A8-4566-B2CC-2E7F6E1F4726}\0000" /v Acceleration.Level /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

There it is, the key might be different on different machines tho. Hopefully someone with a similar problem will stumble upon this.

Now if I could only get someone to do a widescreen UI mod for this game like Ghostdog did with Planescape torment

You can run it minimized, so the window doesn't pop up but it will still show up in the task bar. Create a shortcut to the batch file, then right click it and go to properties. In the Run box, change it from Normal Window to Minimized. I assume you've set the batch file to exit as the last command.

If you want it completely hidden you might try:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Hide-com ... 56092.html

ever

Scholar
Done with VB script!

thank you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom