Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO: Aftershave review at The Armchair Retard

LlamaGod

Cipher
<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.armchairempire.com">The Armchair Empire</a> has managed to make one of their reviewer's brains defecate out a review for the ever craptastic <a href="http://www.ufo-aftershock.com/pages/hq.html">UFO: Aftershock</a>.

Apparently one of their reviewers (who thinks using the name "Omni" is cool) isn't too bright... especially when his thoughts on UFO: Aftershock start something like this:

<blockquote>Be warned from the outset, UFO Aftershock is not for the casual gamer. The learning curve is steep and the campaign extremely long so if unless you have a reserve of patience or enjoy a complex mix of management and tactical strategizing, steer clear!</blockquote>

Yeah...

<blockquote>The game is split between life on your space station (called a Laputa) and going on missions, which utilizes a real-time/turn-based mix, but each is marked by an extreme emphasis on details that are accessed by a myriad interface that could have been streamlined at the cost of the some of the details. </blockquote>

Ahh, that good ol' "real-time/turn-based mix". I guess my VCRs have been playing movies in a "real-time/turn-based mix" all this time and I didn't even know it! Awesome.

<blockquote>
It also doesn't help that the tutorial provides the mere basics and not a comprehensive "how to" guide. So there's a fair amount of stumbling as you attempt to manage the resources collected from "captured" provinces on Earth, get research done, complete base construction on severely limited real estate, and manage the load-out of you squad (with individual member possessing a set of improvable stats).</blockquote>

The original X-Com was a harder and more complex game then any of the UFO: Afterwhatever games could ever aspire to be and it didn't have any tutorial at all. I guess nobody must of been able to play it then, because manuals are TEH DEVIL (apparently).

<blockquote>Even for strategy gamers really on their game may find the details overwhelming. (This accounts for the tardiness of this review, trust me.)</blockquote>

I wanna see this guy try to play Hearts of Iron, he'd probably have brain hemmoraging or something.

Lower your I.Q. more <a href="http://www.armchairempire.com/Reviews/PC%20Games/ufo-aftershock.htm">here.</a>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
dancin-mage.gif

8-bit theatre, always a sign of intelligence

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
thistopicsucks.gif

The smilies are all uploaded. Someone (read: someone other than me) needs to go into the admin panel and in the smilies section, add them all in with the code. Have fun doing that.

LlamaGod

Cipher
DarkUnderlord said:
thistopicsucks.gif

The smilies are all uploaded. Someone (read: someone other than me) needs to go into the admin panel and in the smilies section, add them all in with the code. Have fun doing that.

ill try it

:aiee:

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Nival is conducting a \'Create a Town for Heroes of Might and Magic 5\'
contest, inviting fans to create a town with history, a set of creatures, a logo, specific strengths and weaknesses, etc, to fit into the HOMM
universe. The contest was only announced in Russian and it seems that English entries will not be accepted.
Fucking ruskies.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Ryuken said:
Anybody seen this already? Might be a bit more of a 'true' sequel to the old UFO-games.
Some of the translation on the site is a bit iffy. I hope that doesn't rub off on the game, which looks quite cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom