Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume is the new FFT

It wasn't that fucking obtuse. You'd think this of all places would appreciate the lack of a fucking quest compass and making some of your choices actually matter.
It is not the means to get the ending that I am opposed to (personally thought the seal rating thing and odin was pretty cool) It was the anime love saves heaven and earth faggotry I hated.
Nocturne had kinda obtuse means to get true ending...but damn the ending was worth it.
@Renegen
K CotP sounds good enough for a playthrough... but spoiler tag you faggot!

Renegen

Arcane
I think the story arc is a bit obvious since the game is a protagonist-driven story. You go what he goes through. Bonus, the game is only 15-20 hours long for one playthrough.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It wasn't some love saves all bullshit. She's the death goddess, and the entire fucking world had just perished during the apocalypse that had been prophesized and led up to for the entire fucking game. It's not like she powered up because of her friends or something. She's a fucking stone cold bitch through the entire game. The only romance plots are Lucian (summarily rejected) and Lezard (creepy as fuck.)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
She powers up by absorbing the souls of every living thing that was wiped out by Loki and gets an uber powerful sword. And Loki gets owned.

Though above video doesn't show apocalypse cutscene.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Valkyrie profile A ending fucking sucks. The whole 'human life' backstory was fucking lame, especially the 'romance'. But my charge of weabooism towards CotP was just for character design, it's obvious from the intro (and even more shameless than the first game).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
In short, Lenneth visits her own grave and regains her mortal memories of Lucian, which triggers a failsafe that gives Hrist control of her body. Hrist then tries to kill Lenneth's uncooperative companions, but she defends them and gets blown to ghost bits in the process. Hrist leaves her for dead and decides to spare the stupid mortals. Lezard shows up and partially ressurects Lenneth in his creepy half elf child body (which has a subplot concerning why Lenneth is so powerful she can beat the shit out of Loki and undo the end of the world.) Hrist goes off to fight Brahms, Brahms and the scooby gang beat the shit out of Hrist to get the other bits of Lenneth's soul. They shove those into the homunculus as well and Lenneth is back for real.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
In short, Lenneth visits her own grave and regains her mortal memories of Lucian
Thing is, Lenneth and Platina are two entirely different souls. Valkyrie soul lies dormant inside mortal bodies until Odin awakens them, and the memories of the mortal are sealed away. Lenneth broke the memory seal and remembered Platina's past life.

Cynic

Arcane
As far as weaboo character design goes, VP manages to pull it off without going too far into anime faggotry. Some of the designs are really grounded and cool others go too far but those are kind of in the minority.

The strong focus on Nordic lore and thematics also give this game series a very unique feel.

I think the IP is dead though, quite sad, would have loved to have seen another like CotP.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the art for VP1 was at least mostly bereft of animu faggotry.

Janus.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
I thought the first Valkyrie Profile had one of the most fascinating premises for an RPG ever, but the execution was less than stellar. And the less said about the 'twu luv saves the world' schlock, the better.

The game also has some oddities - the voice-acted bits are full of basic grammatical errors and horrible Engrish, but the flavor text of the world map locations are very well-written and detailed. Actually, that sort of thing seems to happen a lot in localized game.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It wasn't uncommon for them to outsource parts of the translation to other companies in order to get it done faster back then (I know it happened with the original Final Fantasy Tactics translation), which could've happened with VP.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
As far as weaboo character design goes, VP manages to pull it off without going too far into anime faggotry. Some of the designs are really grounded and cool others go too far but those are kind of in the minority.

The strong focus on Nordic lore and thematics also give this game series a very unique feel.

I think the IP is dead though, quite sad, would have loved to have seen another like CotP.
Considering how Square Enix is digging up their somewhat unused IPs to make social game spin offs maybe they should leave VP alone until they get it out of their system.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Logically speaking next game would be Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist. But Hrist already had a big part to play in VP2.

But I've no idea what tri-Ace is working on now. Are they developing another Star Ocean?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I would say not only for the focus on its Nordic lore, but also for being thematically consistent. A lot of JRPGs tend to favor the "kitchen sink fantasy" approach when it comes to their settings, not with Valkyrie Profile which was pretty seriously rooted in Nordic lore. Well, for the most part. You needed something different once in a while for diversity's sake because, after all, you can't survive on buxom armored maidens forever.

ZJRB2DR.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Well VP had a big world; apart from the obvious European medieval part, one part was Wapanese Sengoku period and another part was almost Renaissance themed.

alJs3O2.jpg

lHAQ87q.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom