Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What should a Platinum rating for playability be?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I was looking at ProtonDB's steam deck functionality rating for various games and discovered Pal world has a Platinum rating. This is the highest a game can have, it means the game runs as intended with at most some minor text size issues. Controls work, no major crashes, all that jazz. Except Pal world runs at on average 30-40 FPS with low settings and will dip to 20 FPs in some areas. I don't consider 20 FPS to be playable this millennia, so I ask the difficult question.

If you were to give a game the highest functionality rating possible. What would your minimum requirements be? What's the lowest you could consider playable? Doesn't have to be the steam deck specific. It's just what inspired me to wonder what people consider playable and ideal.

deuxhero

Arcane
ProtonDB only cares about performance if it's abnormally low for specs. PalWorld being an EA survival game scam with tranny shit and thus having abyssmal performance doesn't matter if that's what it has on windows.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
ProtonDB only cares about performance if it's abnormally low for specs. PalWorld being an EA survival game scam with tranny shit and thus having abyssmal performance doesn't matter if that's what it has on windows.
Where's the tranny shit?

It doesn't run that badly on windows. But this isn't just about the deck

deuxhero

Arcane
Right there in character creation. ProtonDB shows 69 of the reviews are for desktop and only 11 are for Steam Deck, most mentioning it runs poorly on deck.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
What should a Platinum rating for playability be?
Borderline native, with near-zero issues running the game.
And/or running better than native, which has happened on a few occasions.
Elden ring ran better on steam deck than Windows for a while. They fucked up the cacheing and it would freeze your game but enemy actions still got processed so you'd freeze and upon movement resuming super speed enemies until it caught up. The joys of tying your game to frame rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom