Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite co-op dungeon crawl?

Ebonsword

Arcane
This being the Codex, I'm sure I'm not the only one who like a good dungeon crawl board game.

Unfortunately, a glaring weakness in many of them (Descent, Hero Quest, Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game, Dorn, etc.) is that they require a Dungeon Master (or Game Master or Referee or Tomb Tyrant or whatever the hell you want to call him).

I don't know about you folks, but when my friends and I get together, we want to tackle the dungeon together as a team, not have everyone else gang up on the one guy who knows the rules best (who is usually me).

Luckily, there is a subset of dungeon crawl board games that dispense with a DM and unleash the players against the system itself. These include:

- Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft (and its sequels)
- Warhammer Quest
- Citadel of Blood
- Sewers of Redpoint
- Gears of War

Personally, I find that all of these games are somewhat lacking, but what does the Codex hivemind think? Is there a favorite co-op dungeon crawl board game out there?

SinVraal

Educated
Is there any solo RPG that ditches the dungeon master?
Tunnels & Trolls (Developed by Ken St. Andre of Wasteland fame)
http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/tandt.htm

Mythic
http://www.mythic.wordpr.com/page14/page14.html

You can also try the Lone Wolf adventure game books which are mostly available for free here:
http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

There is also the Fighting Fantasy books which vary in quality but you can find for decent prices on Amazon and Ebay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fighting_Fantasy_gamebooks

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I think a dungeon crawler without a dungeon master could easily get pretty boring. If your friends are truly averse to having someone taking turns controlling the monsters, I suppose you could look up Arkham Horror. It's not a dungeon per se, but you still explore areas, acquire lewt and battle monsters. Monster movement is controlled entirely by drawing random cards, so no "DM" player required. The base game gets pretty easy once you learn which events can happen where, but there are numerous expansions to jack up the difficulty once you get used to it.

Ebonsword

Arcane
:necro:

Well, it's been over a decade, so I figured I'd give this thread a bump to see if any good co-op dungeon crawlers have emerged.

Lagi

Savant
I played Descent 2 - and have great time. Like a proper rpg experience. But lookslike you need overlord, not sure if the owner of the game houserule it, or just playalong as PC and Overlord, and didnt say anything.

League of Dungeoneering - its like a warhammer 3ed. Loads of generating dungeons, tables, card drawing, dice rolling etc just to setup the scene. Its more of autistic solo game for basement dwellers. But i am looking to buy myself one, especially as 2nd print would be updated with feedback. It comes with tons of 2d standes, which is great as i loathe concrete colored minis.

Massive Darkness 2 - play it 3x. Very streamline experience (enemies are a cluster of minis on 1 space). Loads of dice rolling and reading effects. Its way too easy, at later levels each pc one shot each mob group. I suggest to limit PC attack to 2 (yeah houserules, BGG is full of it for MD2).

...in general all of them dont fit your requirments :D. I hear that Midara is great, but it have anime graphics. Someone recommend Shadows of Brimstone as best crawler ever, but its wild west so totally not my coup of tea.

I played Frostheaven once. A massive campaign game, you build town between dungeon missions. It plays specific with turn pressure, each turn you lose some cards so you need to complete dungeon run in let say 5 rounds. I dont like it.

Mageknight you explore wilderness. A bit complicated. I enjoy it after 2nd game, when the rules settle down in my mind.

Zombicide - its a definition of ameritrash. Hordes of zombie, buckets of dice, and angry at you co-op players that you didnt do what they want in your turn ( because its usually only one optimal movement).

L'ennui

Magister
OSR games usually have good dungeoncrawl procedures and tools to generate dungeons and such. If you're a fan of those kinds of games but are wary of using them for solo/coop because of the old-school fragility of characters in OSR games, you can try these solo rules: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/114895/Black-Streams-Solo-Heroes These are designed to make PCs sturdier and more combat-worthy, while still maintaining an element of danger.

Now all you need is a replacement for the GM. I believe the current "state-of-the-art" product in that field is Mythic GM Emulator, 2nd edition: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...-Emulator-Second-Edition?src=hottest_filtered Note that even if you don't want to go the above-mentioned OSR route, this GM emulator is genre- and system-agnostic so you could use it in pretty much any kind of game.

You might give that a try, and once you get the gist off it, there are countless other (usually free) "oracles" that you can also try to see which fits your playstyle better.

Have fun!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Descent 2 - and have great time. Like a proper rpg experience. But lookslike you need overlord, not sure if the owner of the game houserule it, or just playalong as PC and Overlord, and didnt say anything.

League of Dungeoneering - its like a warhammer 3ed. Loads of generating dungeons, tables, card drawing, dice rolling etc just to setup the scene. Its more of autistic solo game for basement dwellers. But i am looking to buy myself one, especially as 2nd print would be updated with feedback. It comes with tons of 2d standes, which is great as i loathe concrete colored minis.

Massive Darkness 2 - play it 3x. Very streamline experience (enemies are a cluster of minis on 1 space). Loads of dice rolling and reading effects. Its way too easy, at later levels each pc one shot each mob group. I suggest to limit PC attack to 2 (yeah houserules, BGG is full of it for MD2).

...in general all of them dont fit your requirments :D. I hear that Midara is great, but it have anime graphics. Someone recommend Shadows of Brimstone as best crawler ever, but its wild west so totally not my coup of tea.

I played Frostheaven once. A massive campaign game, you build town between dungeon missions. It plays specific with turn pressure, each turn you lose some cards so you need to complete dungeon run in let say 5 rounds. I dont like it.

Mageknight you explore wilderness. A bit complicated. I enjoy it after 2nd game, when the rules settle down in my mind.

Zombicide - its a definition of ameritrash. Hordes of zombie, buckets of dice, and angry at you co-op players that you didnt do what they want in your turn ( because its usually only one optimal movement).
They made an app that plays overlord for Descent 2. It used to be good. I really liked the campaign of D1. It also required an overlord, but as OL, you had a lot of cool upgrades you could take.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Imo the OG Gloomhaven is still the gold standard for dungeon crawlers. Jaws of the Lion is a streamlined experience that is excellent if the big box is too daunting. Forgotten Circles expansion and Frosthaven on the other hand are both a letdown. They suffer from "more = better" fallacy and add complexity to the formula without adding fun.

Calling it a 'board game' is a bit of a stretch, but Rangers of Shadow Deep is also excellent. It is basically a coop PvE version of Frostgrave (a casual fantasy skirmisher in the vein of Mortheim). There are quite a few official and homebrew campaigns available.

Lagi

Savant
chronicles of Drunagor

will play it this week i hope, looks interseting. and the game system seems well thought out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom