Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where do 2H swords come from?

Chefe

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Don't taunt me with "Guybrush style" unless you intend to implement full insult swordfighting.

I'm not going to take your insolence setting down!

Ha. But really, I didn't mean anything in relation to MI other than how the proverbial hero stores everything in his pants.

android

Novice
No. 1 would probably be the most fitting, but aren't 2-handers just too long to be pulled out of your back (over the shoulder)? Who used them anyway? Weren't it knights in full plate armor riding on horses? They had to use pulleys to put them up there...

The other option would be No. 3 - carry it around in a scabbard. I guess it really depends on how many big weapons total do you allow to be carried, this would be an option for only one.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Flashback said:
Hmm... I have a strange feeling that I was answering this question before...

You have, I think this is your third time answering that question. ;)

android said:
No. 1 would probably be the most fitting, but aren't 2-handers just too long to be pulled out of your back (over the shoulder)? Who used them anyway? Weren't it knights in full plate armor riding on horses? They had to use pulleys to put them up there...

I believe they were developed more for lightly armored infantry to give them a fighting chance at chopping through the heavy armor of knights and to cut through rows of pikemen. Think Scottish highlanders and their claymores. Knights tended to go for the lance, shield, longsword, mace, dagger combo. You can't really use a two-hander on horseback.

Atrokkus

Erudite
First, we need to know how that corresponds to the inventory system and other features. Considering there is a dummy (just for clearness sake), you put the weapon on the hand(s) slot and it turns to "sheathed" mode automatically (attaches to your back) or, there can be no dummy (like in Gothic) and you just 'check' the weapon in inventory. Then, it can either be unsheatehd automatically once the battle begins (again, not sure how that works in AoD), or it is unsheathed manually (spending an AP on it if in battle-mode, or not?). For insatnce, you can't initiate combat if your weapon is sheathed - you just get no "attack" cursor or option (but of course you can initiate it the other way, either in dialog or by some other action) -- this feature, btw, is very important, cuz it will differentiate stealth-fighters from head-to-head ones - daggers and short swords (and other small melee) do not need to be unsheathed to attack someone (that is, they are sheathed in such a way that it's just matter of seconds to get it ready for stabbin'). Of course, the act of unsheathing your weapon must be noted by the bystanders, so that they could react accordingly (like in Gothic) - unsheathe their own or even strike you down at once. Of course, the act of unsheathing/sheathing weapon before attacking is a real-time action, so it might even require some sort of reaction (OMGNOO!! - cry the pnphardkorers), but I don't think it's THAT glaring. By the way, it should be noted that, in my opinion, unsheathing a weapon does not start a battle-phase all by itself: otherwise this distinction between stealth and full-force is unfeasable. You could unsheathe your twohander and just walk down the street -- the reaction may be bad or neutral, or even fear - depending on your stance and reputation, but it does not automaticall enter the TB-mode of combat. That is, if you unsheathe the weapon, your target will see that and unsheathe his own (or not, depending on who he is and what's his reaction), that is gaining the chance of getting initiative or blocking your attack, so there is a distinction between sneak and direct attacks.

Anyways, my point is that visual representation depends directly on the mechanics, not the opposite.

*EDITED*

crufty

Arcane
5) The Pack Ape. When you encounter a foe, your trusty pack ape sidles up next to you and presents you with your large weapon. When you complete combat, it dutifully cleans it for you and stores it amongs the rest of your gear that it carries.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Sovy Kurosei said:
You have, I think this is your third time answering that question.

I'll write a script next time :)

Walks with the Snails said:
Knights tended to go for the lance, shield, longsword, mace, dagger combo. You can't really use a two-hander on horseback.

Agree. Otherwise, you would cut off your horse's head. Or your own leg.

mEtaLL1x said:
Anyways, my point is that visual representation depends directly on the mechanics, not the opposite.

I'm not authorized to reply that post.
:D Just kidding, let's wait for Vault Dweller, he has all the answers related to mechanics.

Anyway, the point of one of our artists was that man needs REALLY long hands (and additional pair of eyes somewhere on the neck) to be able to put a two-hander in scabbards or rings on his back. So, artist asked, what should that animation look like?
Do we have to go with #1 or maybe there is a better way, he asked?

That's why this discussion was started. Gothic is action-RPG, so your character could grab 2h weapon from his back in 2 seconds. But I'm not sure if we should go that way too...
But, as I see, the majority likes #1. OK then.

RGE

Liturgist
After seeing the pictures that ichpokhudezh provided, I would prefer #3 (realism for real men). Although the pack ape that crufty suggested would be awesome. And I certainly wouldn't mind seeing animations of the PC pulling random things out of the ass. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
mEtaLL1x said:
First, we need to know how that corresponds to the inventory system and other features.
If there are weapons/items in the hand slots, those weapons/items are active and could be easily accessed (like in Fallout). Going into the inventory to replace an item will cost 2AP. There is no AP cost to attack with an active weapon, so unsheathing is not a factor. We assume that people can do it in an extremely fast and efficient manner like those guys in samurai movies :lol:

If you are asked to put your weapon away, you remove it from the hand slots

True, but the mechanics are already done. If they were a factor, I'd have mentioned it. Now we are talking about purely cosmetic things and personal preferences, and considering cool features like a weapon caddie ape or your very own sword boy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom