Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many new games set in the Warhammer 40k universe

Alex

Arcane
Such a shit universe. Nothing of importance ever fckn happens because it's thing is perpetual war that means nothing can ever change. You can still write good stories within this constraint but seems like all Warhammer fans want is to shoot orcs, kill orcs and mutilate orcs, and that's the end of that.
Lies.

We also want to shoot, mutilate and kill heretics, witches, mutants, daemons, chaos space marines, dark eldar, regular eldar and many others.

Noct

Literate
Such a shit universe. Nothing of importance ever fckn happens because it's thing is perpetual war that means nothing can ever change. You can still write good stories within this constraint but seems like all Warhammer fans want is to shoot orcs, kill orcs and mutilate orcs, and that's the end of that.
They started moving the narrative forward lately. I don't like it. A universe where nothing ever changes is fine.
I don't mind so long as it's done right. Stuff can happen, it just shouldn't drastically change the dynamic. So far has been fine, it's represented an escalation if anything.

A horse of course

Also seems like Games workshop let's a bunch of obscure developers use the IP but I've read they wouldn't let Warcraft be a Warhammer game as it was originally intended to be.

I've never read anything to support this claim. The only first-party source who's ever spoken publically about the Warcraft-Warhammer connection said that the studio head was indeed negotiating with GW for Warcraft to be a WFB game, and you can see how this influenced its design, maps, art etc. However it was the rest of Blizzard who objected to the licence, as they wanted to use their own original IP so they had more freedom (to make money).
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/world-of-warcraft-could-have-been-world-of-warhammer/

not where I originally read it but it seems GW would not give up the license cheap and this turned off Blizzard. Either way it seems like they learned their lesson from that.

They quote the same guy I was referring to, who points out Blizzard wanted their own IP.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also seems like Games workshop let's a bunch of obscure developers use the IP but I've read they wouldn't let Warcraft be a Warhammer game as it was originally intended to be.

I've never read anything to support this claim. The only first-party source who's ever spoken publically about the Warcraft-Warhammer connection said that the studio head was indeed negotiating with GW for Warcraft to be a WFB game, and you can see how this influenced its design, maps, art etc. However it was the rest of Blizzard who objected to the licence, as they wanted to use their own original IP so they had more freedom (to make money).
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/world-of-warcraft-could-have-been-world-of-warhammer/

not where I originally read it but it seems GW would not give up the license cheap and this turned off Blizzard. Either way it seems like they learned their lesson from that.

They quote the same guy I was referring to, who points out Blizzard wanted their own IP.
Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal.

Yeah, GW wanted too much money.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The only thing worthwhile related to WH40K is Bolt Thrower and it will stay that way. If you make 50 games you will make 50 shit games.

A horse of course

Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal.

Why are you ignoring the second part of the quote

a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal
Right, they wanted to control their own universe because they originally planned on using GW's universe but GW wanted too much money.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

They ripped off the premise of warhammer but changed it enough to not get sued because they couldn't get the IP they wanted because GW wouldn't give it up. If they just wanted their own, original universe from the beginning, why try to get the Warhammer license at all?

A horse of course

They ripped off the premise of warhammer but changed it enough to not get sued because they couldn't get the IP they wanted because GW wouldn't give it up. If they just wanted their own, original universe from the beginning, why try to get the Warhammer license at all?

It says in the article, Blizzard's co-founder wanted to use the licence, the rest of the team wanted to use an original setting so that they retained creative control and would benefit from all the profits.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

It says in the article, Blizzard's co-founder wanted to use the licence, the rest of the team wanted to use an original setting so that they retained creative control and would benefit from all the profits.

Thanks for the illumination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom