Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witchfire - dark fantasy shooter from developers of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - now available on Early Access

garren

Arcane
Patron
I really don't like dashing mechanics in FPS games, it makes the game too easy, you don't really have to think about the positioning of your character at all, you see shit coming your way and just dash away.

Star Citizen

Learned
Looks like shat. This Nu-Doom blueprint is the most frustratingly boring trash imaginable to play. Sad though, as the first reveal trailers actually looked pretty cool but considering how long this has been in dev Hell for I can't really blame them for taking the easy (lame af) route.

Star Citizen

Learned
I really don't like dashing mechanics in FPS games
Same, I hate it. There's nothing wrong with the mechanic per se but the way it's used in these games feels so damn artificial, like its sole purpose is that it's some sort of lame ass compromise between controller and keyboard + mouse capabilities, to make them feel faster paced than they are. Shit sucks for me because it takes total control away from the player and forces some boring ass, limited playstyle.

Oropay

Educated
If you can disable hit markers, might be ok. Kind of reminds me of a high fidelity Evil West

Ivan

Arcane
This will be dope. Won't be playing it until it hits Steam tho. I trust Adrian and his team to deliver the goods. I imagine this will be the sequel to Painkiller he had dreamed of making.

sosmoflux

Educated
It's a roguelite and you play the same exact area doing the exact same thing 20 times while slowly leveling up
My disappointment is immeasurable

sosmoflux

Educated
Also I've found 3 spelling errors in the loading screens already
At least it runs OK despite the standard UE asset load stuttering

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Apparently the game director got addicted to Destiny and they changed the whole thing. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea but as a Destiny player, seems like mine.

tritosine2k

Erudite
How progression works, I suppose there's some aim to get some winning formula up&running for sloppy playstyle. If it's not getting sloppy (it's a shooter FFS) but we wuz dark souls & shit I'll skip.

Can You Customize Your Witchfire Character? No, you cannot customize your Witchfire character's appearance or clothing.
:notsureifserious:
we wuz bloodborne?
:philosoraptor:

if you click on 30hour video guy's yt link and search for the "progression" part he says he doesnt want to spoiler it then proceeds to spoiler it.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I really don't like dashing mechanics in FPS games, it makes the game too easy, you don't really have to think about the positioning of your character at all, you see shit coming your way and just dash away.
that's why there should be a significant cooldown between dashes, to make classic dodging/positioning still relevant too.

But...if you're saying Doom Eternal is too easy, then the game itself refutes you. It is most definitely not an easy game. In fact it is the only game to genuinely best me in years (Super Gore nest Master Level nightmare difficulty).

geno

Savant
that's why there should be a significant cooldown between dashes, to make classic dodging/positioning still relevant too.

But...if you're saying Doom Eternal is too easy, then the game itself refutes you. It is most definitely not an easy game. In fact it is the only game to genuinely best me in years (Super Gore nest Master Level nightmare difficulty).
But dashing consumes stamina, you can't just spam it. And I don't see how maxing the Endurance stat makes a significative difference. I find myself just moving to prevent attacks (which are so telegraphed and gives you a generous action window) and saving dashing for true emergencies.
I honestly think they made a good work balancing the dash.

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm starting to enjoy it. Just have managed to clear the map, surviving two calamities.
SEkeJRs.jpg

Worst part of the game is the autoleveling of enemies, as it was happening faster than I was gitting good and leveling my gear.
But autoleveling stopped at character level 30 or so, and now I have finally caught up.
Currently only enemies that I still could not figure is shield guys. Game heavily insist that you should aim at head, and they have it covered.

geno

Savant
I'm starting to enjoy it. Just have managed to clear the map, surviving two calamities.
SEkeJRs.jpg

Worst part of the game is the autoleveling of enemies, as it was happening faster than I was gitting good and leveling my gear.
But autoleveling stopped at character level 30 or so, and now I have finally caught up.
Currently only enemies that I still could not figure is shield guys. Game heavily insist that you should aim at head, and they have it covered.
Does leveling up really makes a difference? I didn't play that much but I didn't feel like the stats made a difference. Except luck, and that could be just a placebo effect.

baturinsky

Arcane
Does leveling up really makes a difference? I didn't play that much but I didn't feel like the stats made a difference. Except luck, and that could be just a placebo effect.
Longer HP and stamina bars really felt. Not sure about the other stats.

geno

Savant
First big update likely to release next month

Seven New Things Coming Soon to Witchfire

Sort of a preview of the GGU patch notes​

The last thing we said about the GGU — Witchfire’s first big update — was:
We are now targeting February, possibly March.
I mean, let’s be honest, it’s going to be March rather than February, but it looks like that’s it. Still, despite setting the month, even our biggest fans are beginning to be impatient:

chrome_2024-02-22_18-58-16.png

We get it. After all, when the GGU releases, that will be half a year since the Early Access premiere. That is a lot. It’s not like we’ve spent six months making the GGU, as the first two months post-release were dedicated to patching and smaller improvements, but still, from the player’s perspective, it’s a long wait.

As I said, we get it, and we owe you, so in this post let me satisfy some of that hunger by offering a bit more precise list of things to expect from the GGU.

I don’t want to spoil too much or list everything, but here’s the list of the seven most important changes and updates that the GGU will bring:

Player classes​

Souls-style classes, meaning they give you a head start in certain stats or gear, but ultimately you will be able to achieve the same desired build with any of the classes. Some starting gear we are adding is brand new and should be a good choice for the first or fresh GGU playthrough. We’re also adding a class for the fearless preyers who want to bleed through sweat and pain in these opening hours.

Redesigned Calamity system​

I’ve written before about how we are redesigning the Calamity system. I playtested the new version myself and can confirm it is much better. On top of the new system, we are adding three new Calamities. We are also redesigning a certain old one. Let’s say that when time slows down, enemy projectiles now slow down as well.

New feature: Gnosis​

More details in this blog post, but in short, leveling up now does not affect the difficulty. Yes, you can now overlevel if that is your tactic. You will not be able to overlevel to insane values, as sooner or later farming witchfire in easier areas will stop being that effective. But still, it’s an option now.
On the other hand, increasing Gnosis — and thus the difficulty — earlier than anticipated offers a boost in witchfire earnings, as new enemies and traps enter the play. The choice is yours.

UE4Editor_2024-02-22_19-21-35-copy.jpg

Gnosis is not just for difficulty, though. The world’s secrets open up the higher your understanding of all things occult.

NPC vendor / shop with unique items​

It’s happening.

UE4Editor_2024-02-22_18-38-46-copy.jpg

Witch Vaults​

We have expanded existing levels with a new special/secret area per level, with the most challenging combat we’ve ever done. Preyers, Witch Vaults are now accessible for raiding.
Well, soon…

UE4Editor_2024-02-22_18-33-08-copy.jpg

Get in, steal the goods, get out. None of these things are going to be easy. Actually, the Vaults, as optional content, are insanely difficult. You will have to gear up and be able to use everything you have in the most efficient way.

New things:​

• Five new weapons, including one new Demonic Weapon
  • Four new spells and four redesigned spells
  • Seven new magical items (fetishes, rings, relics)
  • Ten new enemies (some 100% new, some variations of existing enemies)
  • Five new events
  • Six new traps
  • Three new Calamities
This is some of the best content we’ve done. As I said before, the GGU is now in the production phase, so I am able to play a lot of it in a decent state. The new weapons are addicting. You know our philosophy: we’re not making weapons that are the same, just with different stats. Our weapons significantly differ from one another. In result, a new weapon means a new playstyle and fresh experience, and that’s what I’m getting. And I’m not even playing with the new spells and magical items yet…

UE4Editor_2024-02-22_18-41-34-copy.jpg

Profiles / Save slots​

This is fairly obvious and standard, but still, a much demanded feature even this early into Early Access. You will be able to keep multiple saves or share the game with someone else and have them use their own save slot.

To recap, March looks good, but as always, it’s done when it’s done. We are advanced enough with the development for me to share the above preview of things to come, so fingers crossed nothing changes. Meanwhile, if the wait is too hard, I can only repeat what the guy said:

chrome_2024-02-22_18-22-42.png

This is not me being cheeky or anything. I’m sure your backlog is as long as mine, and maybe now’s a good time to play some of it. Unless you’re one of the Helldivers addicts, like some of The Astronauts… *cough* Karol *cough*
Till next time!

Question of the Week​

Yeah, agreed. But — the invisible walls in Hermitorium are there to block off some unfinished areas, not to protect your spine. We will remove them closer to final release.

Ivan

Arcane
I trust Adrian and the astronauts to deliver. Give them time to cook and bake, fucking naggers.

ADL

Prophet
Even if they take as long as they did on this update, they'll have enough time to get another one out for the Steam release in late September. Looking forward to playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom